The Cookeville Collection
7 7

206 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, walclark said:

They were also fans of Blackhawk.  The following copies sport the less common "SMN" initials.

1447071544_modern59001.thumb.jpg.b0b143e9ebf65ac0e5a6fe2b88374fe7.jpg

Wonder what the artist had in mind here as it looks like they both clearly had bedroom eyes for each other in this cover image here.  :blush:  :x

On 1/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, walclark said:

I think everyone knows how much I like the Cookeville collection.  It's like a hometown collection for me.  The town is about 80 miles from my home.  I have numerous ties to the area and I was really close to the two dealers that first brought the collection to the market.

Having said that, I disagree with its designation of pedigree status.  It's a nice collection with thousands of Golden Age comics, but I don't think it meets the criteria for a pedigree.  Of course, in and of themselves, the criteria are arbitrary.  It's not like there is a Federal Department of Comic Book Pedigrees.

I don't track the prices of Cookeville copies that closely, but my impression is that the market doesn't place any premium on the books.  Unlike Church, Okajima, Larson, etc., they certainly don't seem to sell at multiples versus similarly graded copies.  Maybe the market has spoken regarding the collection's status.

Good to see a fellow Tennessean on the Boards.  I'm west of you, about halfway between Memphis and Nashville.

Thanks to this thread, my Action Comics #81 was personally reviewed by Matt Nelson and determined to be a Cookeville!! I have 15 or so pedigree books and all of them have silver labels. This is the first time I’ve received one with a gold label and I really like it!!!! Do you have to ask for it?

C5A70965-03AB-485A-97A2-73F31BCABC33.jpeg

54B3CD8D-E554-4122-90B7-027094BD1CD8.jpeg

7 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

Thanks to this thread, my Action Comics #81 was personally reviewed by Matt Nelson and determined to be a Cookeville!! I have 15 or so pedigree books and all of them have silver labels. This is the first time I’ve received one with a gold label and I really like it!!!! Do you have to ask for it?

C5A70965-03AB-485A-97A2-73F31BCABC33.jpeg

54B3CD8D-E554-4122-90B7-027094BD1CD8.jpeg

Did CGC change the label color again for pedigrees?  Is this the new pedigree label color?

Nice book! :luhv:

12 hours ago, walclark said:

Did CGC change the label color again for pedigrees?  Is this the new pedigree label color?

Nice book! :luhv:

Yeah, haven’t seen a gold label one. Thought it was gray. Maybe they figured making it gold and prettier. They could sucker in a few more re-submissions.