• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cookeville Collection
6 6

233 posts in this topic

Have a couple from this collection only one loaded in Photobucket been seen before but i love the story of these books been following since Overstreet and Carter grading book came out.Many examples of the Cookesville books in that book nice to see more.Thanks for your work on this thread Walclark!

mask1.jpg

If you weed through a lot of GA books on the net, you will eventually bump in Cookeville books. I've seen that SN more times than I can remember.

speaking of...just got this in the mail a few days ago:

supermyster_cookville.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. As I said, there is a certain "hometown" pride for me in association with this collection.

And I think these types of personal histories help me to connect with some kid from 50, 60, 70 years ago who, a lot like me, loved to buy, read, and keep comics.

Kind of like this guy, the boy with the most comic books in America...

supersnipe3-7.jpg

This one has the less well recognized "NN" initials.

Between your Thrilling and this book your cooking nice to be able to trace some books from the original owners,it gives it some history.Very nice!

In 1991, Rick Frogge was approached at the monthly Nashville Flea Market by a friend of the original owner asking if he bought older collections. He was putting out the word that the OO wanted to sell his large collection of Golden Age comics and was talking to the dealers set up at the weekend flea market. Rick was approached, as was Harry Thomas. Rick set up a meeting for a couple days later to view the collection.

When Rick was calling Mr. Mackie to arrange the initial viewing of the collection, Mr. Mackie kept saying how much he liked "Marvel." Rick began to think this was going to turn out to be a Silver Age collection (which wasn't real exciting in 1991). Here's what Mr. Mackie was referring to when he said he liked "Marvel,"

capmarvel86.jpg

whiz73.jpg

Apologizes for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I thought it would be the appropriate spot to show a couple of items. one old and one new. First, I picked up this Adventure #46 from nearmint (thanks, Jeff) a couple of years ago.

adventure46b.jpg

When it arrived, I got a closer look at the writing on the front cover. It's a Cookeville!

adventure46c.jpg

When you pair it with this Cookeville that I bought at an LCS in that town, I've got a mini-run of Cookeville Sandman covers. :cloud9:

adv47.jpeg

On to the new thing. Just picked this up. The primary collector of the Cookeville collection was Leroy Mackie, but some of the books in the collection belonged to his brother, James. Found this neat little item. Of course, it lacks the SN initials because it wasn't purchased at the local store where the two brothers bought their comics, but was a subscription copy.

true55.jpg

true55label.jpg