• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cookeville Collection
6 6

233 posts in this topic

Cool thread,

I did not know this book was a Ped

It's not an officially recognized pedigree. If I'm not mistaken, the grades weren't high enough.

...it's not recognized by CGC.......but many collectors accept it's prestige, however. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

hm

mm

Cool thread,

It's not an officially recognized pedigree. If I'm not mistaken, the grades weren't high enough.

...it's not recognized by CGC.......but many collectors accept it's prestige, however. GOD BLESS...

CBCS is recognizing it. New Hampshires also.

Cool thread,

Hopefully they also recognize Cape Cods..... man those are some nice books.... and many have the distinguishing mark.... GOD BLESS...

Finally, here's the story about the markings on the cover. Cookevilles can be marked with the famous "SN" or the less recognized "NN" initials. Again, from Rick: "The story behind the SN (and yes, there were a few NNs) is simple. The little store these comics were bought from by Leroy (and sometimes his brother) had 2 sisters that worked there. We got to meet SN...these initials was their way of marking the books as they came in from their distributor...it is the initials of the 2 girls (they were in their 70's when we met SN and they were assured their names would never be mentioned...and honestly I have forgotten their names)...BUT the SN, etc. are the girls' initials...we always thought that was so cool: we could track where the books were shipped to, who sold them , and then who bought them."

Fascinating story. I wonder why the girls working in the store would have put their initials on the books, rather than the more conventional arrival date? hm

Could be they were setting the books aside and to remove any confusion they initialed the books to let others know to leave them alone. Great story. :)

Finally, here's the story about the markings on the cover. Cookevilles can be marked with the famous "SN" or the less recognized "NN" initials. Again, from Rick: "The story behind the SN (and yes, there were a few NNs) is simple. The little store these comics were bought from by Leroy (and sometimes his brother) had 2 sisters that worked there. We got to meet SN...these initials was their way of marking the books as they came in from their distributor...it is the initials of the 2 girls (they were in their 70's when we met SN and they were assured their names would never be mentioned...and honestly I have forgotten their names)...BUT the SN, etc. are the girls' initials...we always thought that was so cool: we could track where the books were shipped to, who sold them , and then who bought them."

Fascinating story. I wonder why the girls working in the store would have put their initials on the books, rather than the more conventional arrival date? hm

Could be they were setting the books aside and to remove any confusion they initialed the books to let others know to leave them alone. Great story. :)

That's probably it. They were marking books that were being set aside for the OO.

Whether the Cookeville books deserve a pedigree designation is an interesting question. I can see both sides of the argument. They're certainly an unusually large and extensive collection of GA books.

Otoh, the bulk of them (particularly the early books) seem to be mid-grade or below. So giving them the pedigree designation requires waiving the usual requirement that pedigree books be high grade.

Maybe the tie breaker in favor of not giving the Cookevilles a pedigree designation is that the collection lacked most of the mega GA keys. hm

Cool thread,

Hopefully they also recognize Cape Cods..... man those are some nice books.... and many have the distinguishing mark.... GOD BLESS...

they do, jimbo; eldons and hap langlies, too.

Whether the Cookeville books deserve a pedigree designation is an interesting question. I can see both sides of the argument. They're certainly an unusually large and extensive collection of GA books.

Otoh, the bulk of them (particularly the early books) seem to be mid-grade or below. So giving them the pedigree designation requires waiving the usual requirement that pedigree books be high grade.

Maybe the tie breaker in favor of not giving the Cookevilles a pedigree designation is that the collection lacked most of the mega GA keys. hm

Cap #1 was there, as were all of the Whizs. Basically the guy tried the books and if he didn't like them, he didn't buy them very long.

I heard a slight variation of the original story from Harry. Harry said that he and Rick originally went to look at the books. When they got to the guys house, the books were all out in stacks on the kitchen cabinets and dining table by title. Harry and Rick didn't have the money to purchase the books, so they got in touch with Bob Overstreet. Somehow during this Jon Warren became involved and almost screwed the whole deal. At that point, Harry and Rick call Geppi in to purchase the deal. I believe Geppi purchased the whole deal for 100K and Rick got the early Caps (1 - 15 I believe) and Harry got the Whiz Comics (which at the time were smoking hot). Overstreet ended up spending almost 90K with Geppi on some of the books. Harry was particularly fired up about this, thinking that the financing from the whole deal was right there. If you knew Harry, he had some colorful words to describe the whole deal.

Not sure how accurate this is, but this was how the deal was told to me.

Cool! My first one!!

Thanks for the input...I didn't want to presume that a book from this era is definitely a Cookeville just because it has "SN" written on it...but I suppose that's more or less the presumption, right? I guess no one else that we know of was writing SN on books....

Cool! My first one!!

Thanks for the input...I didn't want to presume that a book from this era is definitely a Cookeville just because it has "SN" written on it...but I suppose that's more or less the presumption, right? I guess no one else that we know of was writing SN on books....

Not the I know of.