• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPARKLE CITY TO AUCTION MAJOR COLLECTION APRIL 14th!

80 posts in this topic

Sparkle City Comics is bringing an extensive Vintage collection to market that has not seen the light of day in over 4 decades.

The collection spans from 1937 to 1965 and is loaded with rare comics and key issues.

Make sure to sign up to our Email list at www.sparklecitycomics.com for the latest updates!

We will begin auctioning books from this collection on Sunday, April 14th. Here are a few highlights that have been graded to date:

136743.jpg.2df64d564bfc0fcfd0171381e622b71a.jpg

136744.jpg.ac329c7a2f85622e4b8ba5b711373b26.jpg

136745.jpg.41d074697b344dd977b8536865bee016.jpg

136746.jpg.f0b2be77f6a2625f029db2ef55e20777.jpg

Great books but the brand new tape on the MMC 9 ought to get it a purple label. You guys should stop doing that.

+1. Very annoying to see so many books ruined just so a grade bump can be achieved.

Yes! Why do this for a few extra bucks??? It ruins the book and also ruins my perception of SC auctions

Great books but the brand new tape on the MMC 9 ought to get it a purple label. You guys should stop doing that.

+1. Very annoying to see so many books ruined just so a grade bump can be achieved.

Yes! Why do this for a few extra bucks??? It ruins the book and also ruins my perception of SC auctions

A great book that I wouldn't go near because of the tape. doh!

We do not put tape on books to get a grade bump... In fact, According to the discussions we have had with CGC graders, they do not bump grades for tape.

We will try to avoid putting tape on books moving forward, but if a consignor requests we use tape, we will. If a cover is falling off, completely split or if a book could suffer further damage in grading, etc.. we may decide to sparingly use tape. The decision to use tape will be up to the consignor, we will not stand in the way of our consignors getting what they perceive to be the greatest results from their sale. Books owned outright by Sparkle City will most likely no longer have tape.

It is clear that many collectors don't like tape. That message has been well received. However, we are not the only ones who do this so please don't be too hard on us. We know for a fact that some out there do this with much greater frequency than we do.

We posted scans for a Tech 29, Military 1, Ultra Rare Centaur Uncle Joe's Funnies, Action 20, Highest graded Supersnipes and there will be more... There is only one book with tape, the MM 9. The Action #20 has 2 spine splits and the Detective 29 has a visible spine split, neither of these books were taped.

People who don't like tape will avoid those books with it, that's fine. Rather than focus on the occasional book with tape, we would hope you check out the books we are unearthing and bringing to market via true no reserve auctions every week.

We do not put tape on books to get a grade bump... In fact, According to the discussions we have had with CGC graders, they do not bump grades for tape.

We will try to avoid putting tape on books moving forward, but if a consignor requests we use tape, we will. If a cover is falling off, completely split or if a book could suffer further damage in grading, etc.. we may decide to sparingly use tape. The decision to use tape will be up to the consignor, we will not stand in the way of our consignors getting what they perceive to be the greatest results from their sale. Books owned outright by Sparkle City will most likely no longer have tape.

It is clear that many collectors don't like tape. That message has been well received. However, we are not the only ones who do this so please don't be too hard on us. We know for a fact that some out there do this with much greater frequency than we do.

We posted scans for a Tech 29, Military 1, Ultra Rare Centaur Uncle Joe's Funnies, Action 20, Highest graded Supersnipes and there will be more... There is only one book with tape, the MM 9. The Action #20 has 2 spine splits and the Detective 29 has a visible spine split, neither of these books were taped.

People who don't like tape will avoid those books with it, that's fine. Rather than focus on the occasional book with tape, we would hope you check out the books we are unearthing and bringing to market via true no reserve auctions every week.

Thanks for the response but why not just tell consigners that you won't add tape, why encourage it at all? (shrug)

Thanks for the response but why not just tell consigners that you won't add tape, why encourage it at all? (shrug)

Because if a consignor is determined to have a completely split spine taped and we refuse they will take their business to one of the many other sellers that would do it.

CGC sets the guidelines and notes on the label if there is tape. Whether or not to purchase a book with tape is a personal choice. As collectors, we understand the aversion to tape. As a business, it's our job to accommodate our clients as best as possible

If it's not our book we will not stand in the way of our consignors getting what they perceive to be the greatest results from their sale.

Although CGC recently said they would reconsider their acknowledged and well known grade bump for books that have received this kind of restoration, I have seen nothing to make me believe they have changed there policy. The MMC 9 is a perfect example. If collectors don't call the dealers on this and punish them by not bidding on these books, the practice will never change.

I spend enough on comics that dealers should be aware that I won't bid on these books and if I see them continue in a dealer's auctions, I won't bid on any of their books. I like Sparkle City auctions and appreciate your statement that you won't continue with this practice.

Although CGC recently said they would reconsider their acknowledged and well known grade bump for books that have received this kind of restoration, I have seen nothing to make me believe they have changed there policy. The MMC 9 is a perfect example. If collectors don't call the dealers on this and punish them by not bidding on these books, the practice will never change.

I spend enough on comics that dealers should be aware that I won't bid on these books and if I see them continue in a dealer's auctions, I won't bid on any of their books. I like Sparkle City auctions and appreciate your statement that you won't continue with this practice.

We're barking up the wrong tree. CGC needs has to revamp its policy on tape, period. As we say in the biz world, it's time to update the P&P (Policies & Procedures) manual. (thumbs u

We're barking up the wrong tree. CGC needs has to revamp its policy on tape, period. As we say in the biz world, it's time to update the P&P (Policies & Procedures) manual. (thumbs u

+1

IMO CGC is solely to blame for enabling the process.

Once the book is handed back to the consignor the book will find it's way back into the marketplace one way or the other. I would only hold a seller responsible if they were selling illegal merchandise. In this case, CGC has deemed taped books to be acceptable and worth more than restored books. Stop grading taped books higher and the conversation is moot.

We will try to avoid putting tape on books moving forward..., but if a consignor requests we use tape, we will. If a cover is falling off, completely split or if a book could suffer further damage in grading, etc.. we may decide to sparingly use tape.

It's almost unfathomable to me that 21st century comic dealers are proactively taping their books...really just unbelievable. And for you to say that you don't do it to get grade bumps? That's just laughable. :screwy:

We will try to avoid putting tape on books moving forward..., but if a consignor requests we use tape, we will. If a cover is falling off, completely split or if a book could suffer further damage in grading, etc.. we may decide to sparingly use tape.

It's almost unfathomable to me that 21st century comic dealers are proactively taping their books...really just unbelievable. And for you to say that you don't do it to get grade bumps? That's just laughable. :screwy:

If we put tape on a book, it is because we are abiding by the requests of our clients. As long as it's not immoral or illegal it's not up to us to tell them what to do with their property or question their motives. There are many hundreds of books already with tape. Should we refuse to accept consignments that have already been taped?

You can find taped books in just about every auction and dealer booth in the hobby... That aside, It's not only comic dealers that are doing this. Collectors and Dealers are simply reacting to the conditions that exist. If those conditions change, then the practice will too. It seems like the focus on this issue is being shifted towards Dealers and Collectors, when it should be properly directed towards those who established the standards.

Sparkle City Comics has heard the feedback from collectors and made a decision regardless of the fact that many collectors and dealers will continue to do so.

We have already stated in this thread that books owned outright by Sparkle City Comics will most likely not be taped. However, if a consignor wants their split spine taped we are not going to stand in the way of their requests or getting what they perceive to be the greatest results from their sale.

We have hundreds of great books coming in the following weeks, we are sure you will find something that would be a better fit in your collection. We posted some pretty cool books in this thread, only one has tape.

We have already stated in this thread that books owned outright by Sparkle City Comics will most likely not be taped.

And I most likely will not sneak candy for my kids into the movie theater next time we go. lol

Dealers taping up their books? It's like the early 1970's man...no one in their right mind would be doing this these days if CGC didn't reward the (mal)practice. Well, there's one dealer that always has but you can read plenty about him elsewhere on these forums.

Anyhoo, this thread is certainly revealing and I won't clutter it up anymore, thanks for the info. (thumbs u

We have already stated in this thread that books owned outright by Sparkle City Comics will most likely not be taped.

And I most likely will not sneak candy for my kids into the movie theater next time we go. lol

Dealers taping up their books? It's like the early 1970's man...no one in their right mind would be doing this these days if CGC didn't reward the (mal)practice. Well, there's one dealer that always has but you can read plenty about him elsewhere on these forums.

Anyhoo, this thread is certainly revealing and I won't clutter it up anymore, thanks for the info. (thumbs u

We find it's best to avoid speaking in absolutes, you can draw any conclusions you like from that. Things are not often black and white and we are still considering whether in some instances a book may benefit from tape, such as a book in multiple pieces. It's up to CGC to set the standards for grading, but as collectors we would rather have a complete taped book than loose pieces.

Assumption aside, we would hope that the examples of the un-taped Action #20 with two splits and the Detective #29 with a spine split would show that we're not too inclined to use tape.

Until the standards are changed, collectors and dealers will most likely continue doing it. If it offends you as a collector, you have every right to send a message and avoid those books. In time, perhaps more dealers and collectors will make the same decision we and others have.

When I was eight years old in the early/mid 70s I sometimes put tape on a SA Marvel I'd buy out of the 25 cent back issues box if it had a tear or something. I always regretted that after I grew up a bit (around 1978 and was 13). I thought I was being a foolish little kid ruining some halfway decent comics, the worst cases being a VGish FF 25 I paid $5 for and a Fineish FF 48 I paid $3 for.

My oh my! I didn't know it but I was just ahead of the curve by 40 years! :tonofbricks:

When I was eight years old in the early/mid 70s I sometimes put tape on a SA Marvel I'd buy out of the 25 cent back issues box if it had a tear or something. I always regretted that after I grew up a bit (around 1978 and was 13). I thought I was being a foolish little kid ruining some halfway decent comics, the worst cases being a VGish FF 25 I paid $5 for and a Fineish FF 48 I paid $3 for.

My oh my! I didn't know it but I was just ahead of the curve by 40 years! :tonofbricks:

Maybe CGC owns 3M (Scotch tape) stock... hm