• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPARKLE CITY TO AUCTION MAJOR COLLECTION APRIL 14th!

80 posts in this topic

Sparkle City Comics is bringing an extensive Vintage collection to market that has not seen the light of day in over 4 decades. Here are a few highlights ...
Great books but the brand new tape on the MMC 9 ought to get it a purple label.

I'm having a difficult time reconciling the two phrases highlighted in red. Is the MMC #9 a book that is hitting the market for the very first time, or is it merely one that's being flipped. (shrug)

We do not put tape on books to get a grade bump... In fact, According to the discussions we have had with CGC graders, they do not bump grades for tape.

We will try to avoid putting tape on books moving forward..., but if a consignor requests we use tape, we will. If a cover is falling off, completely split or if a book could suffer further damage in grading, etc.. we may decide to sparingly use tape.

It's almost unfathomable to me that 21st century comic dealers are proactively taping their books...really just unbelievable. And for you to say that you don't do it to get grade bumps? That's just laughable. :screwy:

If we put tape on a book, it is because we are abiding by the requests of our clients. As long as it's not immoral or illegal it's not up to us to tell them what to do with their property or question their motives. There are many hundreds of books already with tape. Should we refuse to accept consignments that have already been taped?

You can find taped books in just about every auction and dealer booth in the hobby... That aside, It's not only comic dealers that are doing this. Collectors and Dealers are simply reacting to the conditions that exist. If those conditions change, then the practice will too. It seems like the focus on this issue is being shifted towards Dealers and Collectors, when it should be properly directed towards those who established the standards.

Sparkle City Comics has heard the feedback from collectors and made a decision regardless of the fact that many collectors and dealers will continue to do so.

We have already stated in this thread that books owned outright by Sparkle City Comics will most likely not be taped. However, if a consignor wants their split spine taped we are not going to stand in the way of their requests or getting what they perceive to be the greatest results from their sale.

We have hundreds of great books coming in the following weeks, we are sure you will find something that would be a better fit in your collection. We posted some pretty cool books in this thread, only one has tape.

Why is it up to an auction house to put tape on the book? The consigner sends the book to you...and then decides they want it taped before sending to CGC for grading? If that's the case, why doesn't the consigner put the tape on themselves before sending you the comic?

Common sense would lead me to believe you get the books in hand...tell the consigner that with a few pieces of tape their book may yield more money....they decide to let you do it for them? Is this right or do I have that process wrong? :baiting:

Sparkle City Comics is bringing an extensive Vintage collection to market that has not seen the light of day in over 4 decades. Here are a few highlights ...
Great books but the brand new tape on the MMC 9 ought to get it a purple label.

I'm having a difficult time reconciling the two phrases highlighted in red. Is the MMC #9 a book that is hitting the market for the very first time, or is it merely one that's being flipped. (shrug)

It makes perfect sense.

It's snowing at its best. Straight out of the Colonel Tom Parker playbook.

"Don't try to explain it, just sell it."

We do not put tape on books to get a grade bump... In fact, According to the discussions we have had with CGC graders, they do not bump grades for tape.

We will try to avoid putting tape on books moving forward..., but if a consignor requests we use tape, we will. If a cover is falling off, completely split or if a book could suffer further damage in grading, etc.. we may decide to sparingly use tape.

It's almost unfathomable to me that 21st century comic dealers are proactively taping their books...really just unbelievable. And for you to say that you don't do it to get grade bumps? That's just laughable. :screwy:

If we put tape on a book, it is because we are abiding by the requests of our clients. As long as it's not immoral or illegal it's not up to us to tell them what to do with their property or question their motives. There are many hundreds of books already with tape. Should we refuse to accept consignments that have already been taped?

You can find taped books in just about every auction and dealer booth in the hobby... That aside, It's not only comic dealers that are doing this. Collectors and Dealers are simply reacting to the conditions that exist. If those conditions change, then the practice will too. It seems like the focus on this issue is being shifted towards Dealers and Collectors, when it should be properly directed towards those who established the standards.

Sparkle City Comics has heard the feedback from collectors and made a decision regardless of the fact that many collectors and dealers will continue to do so.

We have already stated in this thread that books owned outright by Sparkle City Comics will most likely not be taped. However, if a consignor wants their split spine taped we are not going to stand in the way of their requests or getting what they perceive to be the greatest results from their sale.

We have hundreds of great books coming in the following weeks, we are sure you will find something that would be a better fit in your collection. We posted some pretty cool books in this thread, only one has tape.

My question would be, will you continue to suggest that as an option for a grade bump, because you have in the recent past. Last fall I was offered a book with a detached centerfold by someone on this board. The grade he gave me was 3.5 (raw) ...I hesitated for a few days and when I got back to him, he told me he consigned the book to you, and he felt kind of bad about it, but your company SUGGESTED taping the centerfold in and he agreed.. The book was graded a 5.0 by CGC and sold for more than twice his original asking price. That was not the only book, that he said you "suggested" taping. Once that first one went for so much, there were a few others that were "consigned".

Will you no longer make those suggestions? Perhaps less people will "ask" you to tape them, if you don't point out the potential grade bumps.

My question would be, will you continue to suggest that as an option for a grade bump, because you have in the recent past. Last fall I was offered a book with a detached centerfold by someone on this board. The grade he gave me was 3.5 (raw) ...I hesitated for a few days and when I got back to him, he told me he consigned the book to you, and he felt kind of bad about it, but your company SUGGESTED taping the centerfold in and he agreed.. The book was graded a 5.0 by CGC and sold for more than twice his original asking price. That was not the only book, that he said you "suggested" taping. Once that first one went for so much, there were a few others that were "consigned".

Will you no longer make those suggestions? Perhaps less people will "ask" you to tape them, if you don't point out the potential grade bumps.

Exactly as I speculated. They suggest tape to be added once they get the book in hand doh!

I know I will most likely get roasted for the following comment but wanted to throw this out there.

First, please understand, I AGREE that tape is BAD and I would NEVER tape a book or recommend others doing it.

But, isn't it the responsibility of an auction house to try to get the best possible price out of the consignment as possible? I know this helps the auction house as well as the consignor. I'm not sure I can fault them for this from a purely business, profit-gain stand point. As mentioned earlier, Sparkle City didn't grade the books, nor set the current standard regarding tape. From an ethical standpoint, yes, I can assign blame but I'm not sure where that line is - between business and hobby preservation.

Again, I may take a beating for asking the question, hence my preface.

Actually, I absolutely understand why they would recommend it, I just didn't understand the statement they posted in light of the circumstances that I knew.

There were several books this seller had that I might have been interested in, but he consigned them to SC after the first one sold with the tape. The later ones were taped/pressed as well. He did very well with the sales. I don't blame him, the person from the boards was selling them on consignment and wanted to do the best for his client...but SC made it sound HERE like they only do this at the request of a client, they didn't mention that they make the suggestion.

I'm not even suggesting taping is a hanging offense, I've certainly used it myself in the past, but on old reading copies of books I was keeping that were damaged and were going to be further damaged.That was before I knew about archival tape.

I don't believe books with tape are ruined. But I do understand that regular tape causes further damage. Not something I recognized before joining this forum.

I know I will most likely get roasted for the following comment but wanted to throw this out there.

First, please understand, I AGREE that tape is BAD and I would NEVER tape a book or recommend others doing it.

But, isn't it the responsibility of an auction house to try to get the best possible price out of the consignment as possible? I know this helps the auction house as well as the consignor. I'm not sure I can fault them for this from a purely business, profit-gain stand point. As mentioned earlier, Sparkle City didn't grade the books, nor set the current standard regarding tape. From an ethical standpoint, yes, I can assign blame but I'm not sure where that line is - between business and hobby preservation.

you're 100% right, they are doing their job rather it be the "right" thing to do or not and im starting to think there are way more people OK with buying these books then people who are not...

It is clear that many collectors don't like tape. That message has been well received. However, we are not the only ones who do this so please don't be too hard on us.

You have misread the message. :facepalm: Non-archival tape causes long-term damage. Many folks here are appalled that an experienced business or individual would value short-term profits over the long-term health of the ephemera we treasure. In my opinion, arguments like "our consignors request it" or "other folks do it" are irrelevant. I personally avoid doing business with firms and individuals who appear to have a weak ethical compass.

rantrant

But, isn't it the responsibility of an auction house to try to get the best possible price out of the consignment as possible?

First off, I believe Sparkle City is a small business that sells on ebay. This does not make it an auction house.

Licensed doctors, engineers, and lawyers are bound by very specific (written) ethical codes unique to their professions. Retailers (such as Neat Stuff Collectibles or the "new" Sparkle City Comics) are required only to comply with the business code of the state/municipality in which they are licensed. I'm fairly certain that the code under which SCC operates does not mention anything about altering a product to maximize its retail value.

While I realize that it is CGC that has caused this. Since they don't seem to be willing to do anything about it, it is really up to collectors to identify the books that have been restored, advertise their presence on the boards, and make a campaign of reducing their auction price as much as possible. When CGC sees that it is bad for their clients, when auction houses see it is bad for their clients, and when clients see it is bad for them, only then will real change happen. It's not like pressing where people agree or disagree about the practice, this is a case of someone taking a low-grade book with a split and detach cover, taping the willies out of it with harmful tape, and getting an extra 2 grade increments from CGC. The folks who buy them need to understand that they are getting a 0.5 or 1.0 book that has been boosted solely by taping pieces back together. In a few years when that tape decays and damages the paper and their book is even worse off than it was before.

Just don't bid on this carp. Let it sell for a buck fifty.

The smarter dealers are catching on. A good example is the Action #1 CGC 1.5 in the May CC auction. They could have reattached that cover with tape and absolutely received a grade bump, but they chose not to.

Sparkle City is primarily the only ebay auction house where you can get some bargains and everyone gets a fair chance of winning a key book. Seems like I always pay less for their books and a little more for CL or CC books. (thumbs u

If you don't like taped books. then don't bid on them.

I buy Coke & Doritos no matter what the price so buy what you like.

Sparkle City is primarily the only ebay auction house where you can get some bargains and everyone gets a fair chance of winning a key book. Seems like I always pay less for their books and a little more for CL or CC books. (thumbs u

If you don't like taped books. then don't bid on them.

I buy Coke & Doritos no matter what the price so buy what you like.

Don't let a grading company run a scam. Buy what you like, speak out when you see dishonesty.

Its pretty simple in my opinion. If you don't like books with tape then don't buy them. If you don't mind, which a lot of people don't, then you will bid. However, its not in someone's place to tell someone else how to run their business which is their livelihood. Putting tape on books is not illegal, period and until it is, our opinions are our opinions and nothing more. I buy from Sparkle City and I am not a big fan of tape myself but I bid on what I like and pass on what I don't like. That's everyone's choice. The CGC boards are a tiny minority of the comic buyers in general and most people could care less what is said here. I don't think what we say here is going to have much impact on CGC policy or dealers maximizing their books. Collect what you collect and like what you like.

As a buyer, I like Sparklecity = excellent customer service. I would think they give the same excellent service to their sellers. While I don't fault them, they are doing what they think is best, I believeit would make an excellent statement to the marketplace if they stopped. Someone has to step up. I believe, in the long run, it will enhance their reputation.

Sparklecity, you are doing nothing wrong, but please stop.

you're 100% right, they are doing their job rather it be the "right" thing to do or not and im starting to think there are way more people OK with buying these books then people who are not...

Yes, they are maximizing for themselves and the consignor.

The real source of our frustration should be directed at CGC and their standards on tape (which is on another thread altogether). Furthermore, the market (buyers), needs to stop paying for the grade assigned on books with tape. It is the same with eye appeal and how a book presents. In recent years we can see miswraps are bringing lower prices for the same grade - as the saying goes, buy the book not the grade. I think the market will correct itself in the long-term with taped books.