• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPARKLE CITY TO AUCTION MAJOR COLLECTION APRIL 14th!

80 posts in this topic

I don't know. Seems to me that you can be part of the problem or part of the solution. It really can be as simple as that.

Exactly! Passing the blame on to CGC because they haven't changed their policy yet is just a bullkrap cop out. I hear what SC is saying but I doubt they would much business if any if they simply didn't participate in having tape put on books. Restoration companies on this board took a similar stance, why can't they?

Although CGC recently said they would reconsider their acknowledged and well known grade bump for books that have received this kind of restoration, I have seen nothing to make me believe they have changed there policy. The MMC 9 is a perfect example. If collectors don't call the dealers on this and punish them by not bidding on these books, the practice will never change.

I spend enough on comics that dealers should be aware that I won't bid on these books and if I see them continue in a dealer's auctions, I won't bid on any of their books. I like Sparkle City auctions and appreciate your statement that you won't continue with this practice.

We're barking up the wrong tree. CGC needs has to revamp its policy on tape, period. As we say in the biz world, it's time to update the P&P (Policies & Procedures) manual. (thumbs u

Says the guy who actively tapes books for resale! :facepalm:

I know I will most likely get roasted for the following comment but wanted to throw this out there.

First, please understand, I AGREE that tape is BAD and I would NEVER tape a book or recommend others doing it.

But, isn't it the responsibility of an auction house to try to get the best possible price out of the consignment as possible? I know this helps the auction house as well as the consignor. I'm not sure I can fault them for this from a purely business, profit-gain stand point. As mentioned earlier, Sparkle City didn't grade the books, nor set the current standard regarding tape. From an ethical standpoint, yes, I can assign blame but I'm not sure where that line is - between business and hobby preservation.

Again, I may take a beating for asking the question, hence my preface.

+1

I don't think there is a pro-tape argument to be made here. Personally I wish CGC would allow books with archival tape to get blue labels. That way you are using something that does not damage the book, can be removed at any time, and achieves the same results.

Even though the system is definitely flawed, I don't see how you can blame Sparkle City for that. It is their job to get the most money possible for their consignors (and for themselves) They are a business. And they wouldn't be running their business well if they were actively trying not to get top dollar for what they sell. It is the system itself that needs to be fixed. Until then Sparkle City is simply working under a set of imperfect rules dictated by others.

I know I will most likely get roasted for the following comment but wanted to throw this out there.

First, please understand, I AGREE that tape is BAD and I would NEVER tape a book or recommend others doing it.

But, isn't it the responsibility of an auction house to try to get the best possible price out of the consignment as possible? I know this helps the auction house as well as the consignor. I'm not sure I can fault them for this from a purely business, profit-gain stand point. As mentioned earlier, Sparkle City didn't grade the books, nor set the current standard regarding tape. From an ethical standpoint, yes, I can assign blame but I'm not sure where that line is - between business and hobby preservation.

Again, I may take a beating for asking the question, hence my preface.

+1

I don't think there is a pro-tape argument to be made here. Personally I wish CGC would allow books with archival tape to get blue labels. That way you are using something that does not damage the book, can be removed at any time, and achieves the same results.

Even though the system is definitely flawed, I don't see how you can blame Sparkle City for that. It is their job to get the most money possible for their consignors (and for themselves) They are a business. And they wouldn't be running their business well if they were actively trying not to get top dollar for what they sell. It is the system itself that needs to be fixed. Until then Sparkle City is simply working under a set of imperfect rules dictated by others.

Adam, you can remove archival tape, but it says right on it, you have to use mineral spirits. I don't think that would work well for the book, either.

As far as Sparkle City goes, I've started to bid on a few of their auctions, but I found myself needing to ask if the books were pressed or taped ( I figured I might as well ask both at once) ...I got answers, eventually, but I decided it's too much work to ask, so I don't look at their ads any more..

And they wouldn't be running their business well if they were actively trying not to get top dollar for what they sell.

Yeah, that approach worked real well for Enron, didn't it. :facepalm:

[

Adam, you can remove archival tape, but it says right on it, you have to use mineral spirits. I don't think that would work well for the book, either.

Thanks for sharing this. I was actually not aware of that fact. Glad to have learned something new today!

And they wouldn't be running their business well if they were actively trying not to get top dollar for what they sell.

Yeah, that approach worked real well for Enron, didn't it. :facepalm:

By the way, I'm not saying there isn't a problem or that things can't be improved. There should not be an incentive for adding tape to books. But if the market rewards a certain practice, someone will take advantage. If not Sparkle City, then someone else. I don't think the blame lies with Sparkle City.

And maybe the solution lies with market awareness. Put the facts out there and let all buyers decide for themselves what they are or are not ok with. And tape should always be disclosed pro-actively by the seller. (At a minimum it is a defect) I personally own a few books in my private collection with tape on them and as long as the tape is on the interior it doesn't bother me much. Although I am curious what affect tape has on a book inside the environment of a CGC holder.

Although CGC recently said they would reconsider their acknowledged and well known grade bump for books that have received this kind of restoration, I have seen nothing to make me believe they have changed there policy. The MMC 9 is a perfect example. If collectors don't call the dealers on this and punish them by not bidding on these books, the practice will never change.

I spend enough on comics that dealers should be aware that I won't bid on these books and if I see them continue in a dealer's auctions, I won't bid on any of their books. I like Sparkle City auctions and appreciate your statement that you won't continue with this practice.

We're barking up the wrong tree. CGC needs has to revamp its policy on tape, period. As we say in the biz world, it's time to update the P&P (Policies & Procedures) manual. (thumbs u

Says the guy who actively tapes books for resale! :facepalm:

Be careful with the word "actively". I made an admitted mistake on my first Whiz #2 and purchased another one (from Quality).

Just for the record, no tape here. (thumbs u

136823.jpg.86759e0e5b9a4211f921d6705f2b3071.jpg

Well if I'm mistaken then I apologize but you laid all the blame on CGC for this which is a crock. Can people not take responsibility for their own actions? Or is it all just about jobbing the system every which way you can to make a short term dollar?

SS,

CGC needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Tape is a defect not a benefit.

Well if I'm mistaken then I apologize but you laid all the blame on CGC for this which is a crock. Can people not take responsibility for their own actions? Or is it all just about jobbing the system every which way you can to make a short term dollar?

SS,

They are working on it but until then let's enable the process and keep the dream alive! God forbid we leave a dollar on the table. :makepoint:

I don't think CGC is necessarily to blame either. I wonder if it's possible that a problem like this wasn't even considered when CGC first opened. And even if it was envisioned back then, it is tough to change grading standards mid-stream. What does that mean for all the taped books that have already been graded if suddenly the grading standards are changed? Puts CGC in a tough spot for sure.

I just think it's tough to lay the blame on Sparkle City. I remember when pressing was first being discussed being very against the idea of pressing a book. So as a seller, I would sell my books as-is, unpressed. But it got frustrating watching month after month as $5000 books turned into $10,000 books or $10,000 books turned into $50,000 books after I sold them to others who turned around and had them pressed anyway. If there's a way to make enough money, someone, somewhere, will take advantage of it.

SS,

They are working on it but until then let's enable the process and keep the dream alive! God forbid we leave a dollar on the table. :makepoint:

:o (thumbs u

By the way, I don't want this to come out wrong,

But is there anyone else here that doesn't really consider tape on a book that big of a deal?

To clarify, I understand fully why collectors would be against applying new tape to books that don't need it. This is absolutely NOT what I am referring to with this question.

I am talking ONLY about books that already have tape on them, am I the only one that doesn't consider tape to be that serious of a defect? Right now I'm looking at two copies of the same book (same price) one with tape on the interior cover, one with a chip out of the right edge of the front cover. I'm thinking of buying the copy with tape on it. Because the tape is on the interior cover where I can't see it. And as a result, the book has nicer eye appeal than the technical grade which to me is a positive trade-off against something I can't even see once the book is in the holder. And I've seen CGC books with tape on the outside covers sit in holders for close to a decade now with no noticeable change to their appearance.

Is there a price to pay down the road for buying a book with tape and putting it in my collection? Or as long as it is stored correctly and kept in it's CGC case will I be long dead before anything significantly changes?

By the way, I don't want this to come out wrong,

But is there anyone else here that doesn't really consider tape on a book that big of a deal?

To clarify, I understand fully why collectors would be against applying new tape to books that don't need it. This is absolutely NOT what I am referring to with this question.

I am talking ONLY about books that already have tape on them, am I the only one that doesn't consider tape to be that serious of a defect? Right now I'm looking at two copies of the same book (same price) one with tape on the interior cover, one with a chip out of the right edge of the front cover. I'm thinking of buying the copy with tape on it. Because the tape is on the interior cover where I can't see it. And as a result, the book has nicer eye appeal than the technical grade which to me is a positive trade-off against something I can't even see once the book is in the holder. And I've seen CGC books with tape on the outside covers sit in holders for close to a decade now with no noticeable change to their appearance.

Is there a price to pay down the road for buying a book with tape and putting it in my collection? Or as long as it is stored correctly and kept in it's CGC case will I be long dead before anything significantly changes?

It's like MC (Marvel Chipping) to me. If you can get the same book without tape or MC, why get the one with tape or MC? (shrug)

I agree. If I could choose between two identical books, one with tape one without, obviously I'd choose the one without. But what about two CGC 4.0s. One with tape that you can't see that looks like a 5.5, and one with no tape that looks like the 4.0 it was assigned. Any argument that the taped copy might be preferable to some since inside a CGC holder all you can see is the cover anyway? Or is anyone who thinks that way a fool who's book is going to start turning brown from the inside out?

I must be getting old since my recollection of the early days of CGC has faded.

In the early days, I seem to remember a few books mentioning 1 pc of tape on the interior cover which was noted on the label. The books received grades no higher than a VG. Tape usage didn't seem to be widely mentioned. I suspect that a problem that could be solved with tape would better be solved with restoration. In those days we thought that would be looking at a better long term solution.

Years ago CGC started to seperate the unrestored (blue label books) from the restored (plods) books. By changing the color on the label they told all collectors that the two books weren't the same. The price paid should be quite a bit different. The market is still trying to determine the proper pricing. IMO, If the restored books showed up in a blue holder with everything disclosed the pricing differential would be narrower.

Now, the question arises whether a taped book should be put into a blue or purple holder. To put it another way, are taped books worth quite bit more than a book that was professionally restored to eliminate the tape? If CGC rules that taped books should be left in blue holder my bet is that we will see a major increase in taped books. I was bewildered when I saw a nice GA book recently graded 7.0 despite a piece of the cover reattached with tape. I didn't realize that books can grade that high with adhesives?

We all know that the CGC grade is the major driver of selling prices for the books. If they say tape is restoration then all books mentioning tape on the label will be penalized in the future. If they say tape isn't restoration then look for all spine splits, detached covers, etc to be pulled off the market so we will see crack, tape and resubmit.

but why does anyone have to take responsibility for anything? they broke no laws/harmed anyone ,they can do whatever they want with a book they own " tape it/trim it/burn it/or leave it be" , just like the people who buy or bid can control what the books worth at the end of the day. the fact is not everyone loves this hobby like some of us do..some people are here to make as much money as they can and thats totally ok....the way i see it the label tells me if there is tape or not and I use that info to decide what Im willing to pay for said book...

but why does anyone have to take responsibility for anything? they broke no laws/harmed anyone ,they can do whatever they want with a book they own " tape it/trim it/burn it/or leave it be" , just like the people who buy or bid can control what the books worth at the end of the day. the fact is not everyone loves this hobby like some of us do..some people are here to make as much money as they can and thats totally ok....the way i see it the label tells me if there is tape or not and I use that info to decide what Im willing to pay for said book...

It's all primarily driven by who sets the rules of the game...CGC in this case. :rulez: