• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long term effects of Pressing or improper pressing

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone who has "professionally" properly pressed a book to a higher grade (or owned one that has) ever observed over time a reversal of the treatment or worsening of the effects of the treatment? Is it common for pressing effects to wear off or should they be permanent? I'm referring mostly to moderns but open to knowing if anyone's observed this with GA/SA/BA/CA books as well.

Definitions:

Professionally pressed: performed by Classics Inc, Matt et. al., or any of the highly experienced pressers on these boards and their apprentices.

higher grade: previously submitted and CPR'd or previously rejected in a pre-screen and subsequently pressed

observed: personally or through colleague having owned the comic before and after pressing

over time: short term (few months) or long term: for many years after its pressing

reversal of treatment: while still in the slab the NCB bend reappears or becomes noticeable again OR after cracking out and not doing anything else but reading/bagging/boarding it.

worsening of the treatment: while still in the slab the NCB comes back worse than it was before or new defects (any you can think of) begin to appear.

I figure most people probably don't hold onto these pressed issues for very long especially if they do a lot of CPR flipping.

I've seen this question hinted at in other unrelated posts but never heard anything as definitive or properly answered and did a couple of searches that went nowhere so I apologize if this has already been addressed in another thread. Point me to it if you know of it and chalk it up to my n00bness.

Thanks!

p.s. I know I may catch some flak from pro-pressers for posting a question about pressing in the restoration section but I though it better suited than the comics general so I apologize for offending them. :tonofbricks:

A small study was done a little while back by the CBCA regarding the effects of pressing on an older book (cannot remembe rif early silver age or golden age).

The pressed book had stronger hydrogen bonds and according to the study was not damaged as most would have expected.

Regarding books reverting. I have some pressed books in my personal collection ranging from moderns to early silver and I see no sign of the book falling apart or reverting.

These were properly pressed books.

Improperly can range from waves to actual structural damage from too much heat, moisture and pressure.

Just saying, I have been seeing some really fugly press jobs lately. IMO, a proper press makes the book look better. However, too much of a good thing can be bad.

With the fugly pressings I am referencing, the spines are totally flattened out, the cover was not dry cleaned first and the dirt has literally been pressed into the fibers. I think this is the result of too many home pressings, not knowing what they are doing. I think pressers should be licensed ! (lol).

Just saying, I have been seeing some really fugly press jobs lately. IMO, a proper press makes the book look better. However, too much of a good thing can be bad.

With the fugly pressings I am referencing, the spines are totally flattened out, the cover was not dry cleaned first and the dirt has literally been pressed into the fibers. I think this is the result of too many home pressings, not knowing what they are doing. I think pressers should be licensed ! (lol).

Yes or at least certified. Poor quality pressing is rampant and will destroy books.

Yes. In a few instances, depending on many factors, a book can revert.

Not completely, but some bends can come back.

Yes or at least certified. Poor quality pressing is rampant and will destroy books.

I agree. The days of the "poor pressers" may be numbered if enough people complain.