WTB 1st Hellboy "Great Salt Lake Comic Con 91" Pamphlet
7 7

35 posts in this topic

19 posts
On 7/9/2018 at 12:08 AM, oakman29 said:

1st Hellboy? 

Isn't SDCC#2 the first appearance?

SDCC#2 is the 3rd app as far as book appearances go. These are all the first apps in order.  Great Salt Lake Comic Convention 91” Pamphlet (1st app of Hellboy ), Dime Press #4 (1st cover app), San Diego Comic-Con Comics #2 (1st app in story) and John Byrne’s Nextmen #21 (1st full color app).

73524644_695480650965158_5134110820812193792_n.thumb.jpg.dfad3e1e3c5b2c093e3966a2bfa296be.jpg

47,128 posts
4 hours ago, Captain ShipWreck said:

SDCC#2 is the 3rd app as far as book appearances go. These are all the first apps in order.  Great Salt Lake Comic Convention 91” Pamphlet (1st app of Hellboy ), Dime Press #4 (1st cover app), San Diego Comic-Con Comics #2 (1st app in story) and John Byrne’s Nextmen #21 (1st full color app).

73524644_695480650965158_5134110820812193792_n.thumb.jpg.dfad3e1e3c5b2c093e3966a2bfa296be.jpg

First of all the convention pamphlet is very much like an ad. Like saying DeadWorld #10 would be the 1st app. of the Crow, because he's on the back of the cover.

Dime Press #4 is a foreign book with a sorta likeness of Hellboy on the cover.

SDCC#2  Is the 1st app. of Hellboy

Next Men #21 is the 1st full app. of Hellboy.

1,335 posts
18 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

First of all the convention pamphlet is very much like an ad. Like saying DeadWorld #10 would be the 1st app. of the Crow, because he's on the back of the cover.

Dime Press #4 is a foreign book with a sorta likeness of Hellboy on the cover.

SDCC#2  Is the 1st app. of Hellboy

Next Men #21 is the 1st full app. of Hellboy.

so basically, I should just get a copy of SDCC #2? 

47,128 posts
1 minute ago, deadleg said:

Yes.

42,394 posts

The first two are prototypes.  They are very cool, but values can and will fluctuate greatly. It's difficult to have a defensible grasp on the production numbers or number of surviving copies of either.  SDCC and Next Men have settled in nicely as Modern keys.

5,570 posts
19 hours ago, deadleg said:

19 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Yes.

36 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

The first two are prototypes.  They are very cool, but values can and will fluctuate greatly. It's difficult to have a defensible grasp on the production numbers or number of surviving copies of either.  SDCC and Next Men have settled in nicely as Modern keys.

@deadleg it depends what YOU value :-)

I personally love the prototype look/feel of the Dime Press so I value that Highly.  Next is the Next Men just because the cover is awesome; it's really the best combo; First Full app throughout; first Full Cover; in color; awesome Mignola piece.

19 posts
47 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I agree, especially with the pamphlet. The print run on that has always been a complete guess and from what I've been able to find over the years only a few copies are known to be floating around. It will vary with each sale. However, I think Dime Press is slowly making it's way into the modern keys. In the past couple years I've seen a lot more people searching for it and the numbers it's bringing in are consistently surpassing the SDCC. Print runs are estimated to be about the same as well. I've heard SDCC had a print run of 1,500-2,000 and the Dime Press 2,000

Edited by Captain ShipWreck

1,335 posts
2 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

@deadleg it depends what YOU value :-)

I personally love the prototype look/feel of the Dime Press so I value that Highly.  Next is the Next Men just because the cover is awesome; it's really the best combo; First Full app throughout; first Full Cover; in color; awesome Mignola piece.

For me personally, I still consider SDCC #2 Hellboy's first appearance. I don't considered prototypes and ads to be First appearances. While prototypes are cool, It falls one of those speculative grey areas. Some consider prototypes first appearances to hype books and some don't consider prototypes first appearances. 

47,128 posts

Nothing wrong with the convention pamphlet,  or Dime Press #4. I would love to own a Dime Press #4 just for its history of Hellboy.  But let's be honest they are just prototypes. 

I dig em though.🙂

2 posts

Any guestimations on average value of one of these slc comic con programs would be? Previous sales? I’ve only just discovered it might be of some worth. 

Thanks. 

225 posts
13 hours ago, Batlaw said:

Any guestimations on average value of one of these slc comic con programs would be? Previous sales? I’ve only just discovered it might be of some worth. 

Thanks. 

About $5,000

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10/22/mike-mignolas-first-hellboy-from-1991-sells-for-5000-on-ebay/

2 posts
9 hours ago, BCoffee said:

Simply Unbelievable. That’s all I’ve been able to find and can’t believe it. Can’t believe there aren’t any other comparisons etc. I guess you never know what to hold onto? Funny thing is how many times over the years how close I’ve cone to chucking it. As recently as last month after the sep FanX con I contemplated tossing it but figured I’ve kept it this long and has sentimental attachment. Then the other day I see it listed on key collector. I have to imagine more will start to surface now and the price will drop. 

19 posts
3 hours ago, Batlaw said:

Simply Unbelievable. That’s all I’ve been able to find and can’t believe it. Can’t believe there aren’t any other comparisons etc. I guess you never know what to hold onto? Funny thing is how many times over the years how close I’ve cone to chucking it. As recently as last month after the sep FanX con I contemplated tossing it but figured I’ve kept it this long and has sentimental attachment. Then the other day I see it listed on key collector. I have to imagine more will start to surface now and the price will drop. 

There was another sale back in in December that was less but price wasn't public. You had to contact the seller. Only 4 have ever been put online but they’ll probably be more posted now. If you ever sell your copy I would be interested in purchasing.