• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

11X17 Scanner? Help...

39 posts in this topic

The HP ScanJet 8250 is only 8.5x14 for the scanned not 11x17. The Best Scanner I have found is the Epson WF-7510 under $300. Though it isn't that portable.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CB58201#Scan

The best "portable" 11x17 scanner is the Mustek 2400 A3 USB scanner. The scanning is fine for images to be used online but not for reproduction.

http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/3al9g3v

Here is a recent thread that covers 11x17 scanners.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4394628#Post4394628

Just read thru the 'recent thread that covers 11x17 scanners'....seems like the Mustek was a good fit for OA, but not necessarily for CGC slabs.

There wasn't a definitive answer there about the best scanner for that purpose or one that could have the combined functionality to address both OA and slabs.

Seems like the Epson might be better? Not having used any of these models myself it seems like a roll of the dice. I would definitely like some more consensus.

The current Epson 7510 doesn't scan slabs well. Just bought one for my office - it was a sad day when I scanned in the first slab. Haven't tried OA yet. Ill have to Monday; should be slow w/ the marathon.

If scanning slabs means scanning thru the plastic case they are in. Then I am not surprised. Scanners are ment to scan items against the glass of the scanner, the plastic case moves the comic farther away from the glass and the focal length for the scanner head isnt that big. I would be surprised if any scanner scans slabs well.

:bump:

I've finally decided to throw in the towel and buy an 11 x 17" scanner. Any current recommendations (the last post in this thread was almost a year ago)? I'm running a new PC with Windows 8.1.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Gene

I finally broke down and got an all-in-one model: Epson WF-7250. Recommended to me by a mutual friend (Lambo). Love it.

Someone (I believe comix4fun) said his goal for 2014 was to scan more of his art and enjoy what he had. I'm in the process of doing that now and it's been surprisingly fun and satisfying. Doesn't feel like work at all.

I finally broke down and got an all-in-one model: Epson WF-7250. Recommended to me by a mutual friend (Lambo). Love it.

Someone (I believe comix4fun) said his goal for 2014 was to scan more of his art and enjoy what he had. I'm in the process of doing that now and it's been surprisingly fun and satisfying. Doesn't feel like work at all

You're right. It's not work and it is really fun! My favorite thing to do when making a high rez scan is to zoom in and blow the line work up to absurd sizes. It appeals to the inker in me I suppose as I love seeing pen and brush strokes in a different, almost abstract light. Line for lines sake. The reverse is fun too, shrinking the image down, especially on covers and splashes, so you can see and understand composition better without the clutter of detail.

Don't have a scanner recommendation for you Gene. My scanners are all old and I will have to do an upgrade myself very soon.

Scott

I bought the Mustek 2400 A3 USB after talking to Brian and his recommendation was spot on for what I needed (meaning I don't have as much art as most people here, approx. 25 pieces), an easy to use scanner that would work well with Mac and PC and was portable. I'm scanning maybe 3-4 pieces a year so I didn't want something clunky and that takes up space.

The Epson WF750 is probably the step up, really not necessary for me, but for those with more art it's really only 150 bucks more. Looks like it takes up more space, but If you have 100+ pieces I'd say investing in a device that helps you display them is more important than a bit more bulk in the scanner.