• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

11X17 Scanner? Help...

39 posts in this topic

I bought the Mustek 2400 A3 USB after talking to Brian and his recommendation was spot on for what I needed (meaning I don't have as much art as most people here, approx. 25 pieces), an easy to use scanner that would work well with Mac and PC and was portable. I'm scanning maybe 3-4 pieces a year so I didn't want something clunky and that takes up space.

Jason - on Amazon it says that the Mustek 2400 A3 can scan up to 11.7" x 16.5" - does it end up cutting off half an inch when you scan 11 x 17"? (shrug)

Also not sure why I can't seem to find that Epson scanner that Felix recommended on Amazon. :pullhair:

Also not sure why I can't seem to find that Epson scanner that Felix recommended on Amazon. :pullhair:

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-Wireless-Wide-Format-C11CB58201/dp/B006Y834NC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That's quite a deal...pretty sure my wife paid full price when she ordered it for me. :frustrated:

I should add that this thing is a monster. But it does everything...we replaced our old printer/fax. So far, so good!

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-Wireless-Wide-Format-C11CB58201/dp/B006Y834NC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That's quite a deal...pretty sure my wife paid full price when she ordered it for me. :frustrated:

I should add that this thing is a monster. But it does everything...we replaced our old printer/fax. So far, so good!

Thanks - I was looking for the "7250" which doesn't exist and which search doesn't bring up the "7520". lol

I bought the Mustek 2400 A3 USB after talking to Brian and his recommendation was spot on for what I needed (meaning I don't have as much art as most people here, approx. 25 pieces), an easy to use scanner that would work well with Mac and PC and was portable. I'm scanning maybe 3-4 pieces a year so I didn't want something clunky and that takes up space.

Jason - on Amazon it says that the Mustek 2400 A3 can scan up to 11.7" x 16.5" - does it end up cutting off half an inch when you scan 11 x 17"? (shrug)

I have 2 Mustek scanners and both do cut off about a 1/2". The Mustek scanners also have a problem that the cable for the scanning wand will snag on the circuit board inside and won't reset. I bought the second one because my first one was out of service. I've since leaned how to take it apart (it's easy) and unstick the ribbon cable.

DG

Does the Epson WorkForce Scanner work with Windows 8?

:bump:

Well, I ended up not getting a scanner last year, but am looking to get one now. Any updated advice?

In particular, I'm looking for:

(a) color scanner

(b) ability to scan full 11" x 17" (i.e., nothing that cuts off half an inch of margin or that requires stitching images together)

© something that can create publication-quality images, not just for CAF

(d) preferably NOT an all-in-one solution - really just want the scanner

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Gene

© something that can create publication-quality images, not just for CAF

If you're thinking IDW Artist's Edition quality it's going to be several thousand not hundreds to get top dpi.

Probably something like this Epson .

...just slightly cheaper than Mr. Vodou's suggestion. ;)

Well still over a thousand and then some. ;) ;)

And since Gene didn't specify what sort of publishing...?

(though you're probably right @ 600 dpi)

Plustek makes a very nice 12 X 17 scanner in the 600 dollar price range, capable of up to 1600 dpi, I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/Plustek-Optipro-Scanner-1600DPI-USB2-0/dp/B000U7K5PS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1434940461&sr=8-10&keywords=plustek+scanners

also of note... Plustek uses CCD (cold cathode display) so it will scan a slab.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! If anyone knows of any other options, please let me know.

Also, regarding the Epson WF-7520 all-in-one that got a number of recommendations earlier - is that one not able to print in 600 dpi? When I mentioned that I'm looking for something that can produce publication-quality scans, that's what I meant - 600 dpi for contributions to Artist Editions and the like. (thumbs u

One more question - I had some pages recently scanned for me at 600 dpi on a Mustek A3 1200 to be used in an upcoming IDW Artist Edition and everything worked great. That said, I'm looking online now at the Mustek A3 1200 and 2400 models and it says that the scanning area is 11.7" x 16.5". Does it cut off 1/2" when you scan 11" x 17" artwork? I don't recall that happening when my pages were scanned, but, on the other hand, these were pages from the early '80s which had the corners lopped off and the margins may have been trimmed as well.

Anyone know the answer to this?

One more question - I had some pages recently scanned for me at 600 dpi on a Mustek A3 1200 to be used in an upcoming IDW Artist Edition and everything worked great.

I have this model. It definitely cuts things off. Untrimmed boards from the 80s are full 11x17 and even larger. Not only will you not capture the entire board, you may even have to play around with the art positioning so you don't lose art!

Pretty bummed to find out this model does scan at 600dpi though. (Actually Mustek site says current model is 1200!) I'll admit to not checking the specs myself at the time, but I took somebody's word the Musteks weren't up to snuff, that they capped out at 300dpi, and IDW and myself ended up not sharing some pretty great art with everybody. Huh. Ultimately that's on me for not knowing my own equipment. Guess I know now for next time.

Looking closer, turns out my (older) model is A3 1200 but lists this spec:

-Creates full-color 9600 dpi scans

Don't know what to make of that. Seems unlikely, or rather more likely some hyperbole math.