• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman #1 in 7.5 Brings $250,000

37 posts in this topic

I`d think CGC would note on the label if it were a 2nd or 3rd print.

If they know how to determine that. For a quarter million dollars, I'd rather know than think.

Any indicatros of when the subsequent printings were released?

I don't know, but here

is where I got the info.

Do you really think it matters for a Superman #1? IMO the newly discovered fact that there were three printings is just an historical oddity. Its not like we are talking about McFarlanes SpiderMan #1 here...right?

and I have to clarify my statement earlier: the best copy is the Dentist's copy, but I dont think its a Pedigree. Followed by (as per CGC) the MH that is a restored book in a blue holder. Then this copy. So, depending on your point of view, this is the 2nd best or 3rd best copy known. Since no dealers recall any seeing or selling other HG copies, this ranking will hold up until a "no-name" copy turns up in a wall somewhere.

Do you really think it matters for a Superman #1? IMO the newly discovered fact that there were three printings is just an historical oddity. Its not like we are talking about McFarlanes SpiderMan #1 here...right?

It may not matter now, but as big ticket collectors become more aware of printing differences, it may matter in the future. Things change - there was a time when Edgar Church copies were valued pretty much on their pedigree alone, with actual grade being a lesser consideration, but with the popularity of slabbing, the numerical grade plays a much bigger role in percieved value.

well, I agree that it should matter generally speaking... but only on a book that has a healthy census. At this rate, there may not be 2 copies in any grade above 7.0 (as wacky as that sounds, I know) and if that is true, a collector would then face a decision of a better graded but later print run copy, or a lesser graded first/lower printing. It THATS the choice, Im betting the grade is the determining factor for Superman #1.

But for a book like lets say X-Men 1 with multiple copies in 9.4, a first printing (if there were more than one) would be worth far more. Agreed?

For a point of comparison, I don't really think the first/second printing things makes much of a difference with Marvel Comics #1 in terms of pricing (I could be wrong, of course, it's not like I've sold ten) and that's as easy as looking at the cover. Maybe in the future, but I don't really feel like that idea is going to gain a lot of traction. The bar is already set impossibly high with these books. These aren't bronze age marvels where you have to set a goal of 9.8s with white pages and perfect QP (first time I've used the phrase?) in order to make collecting interesting.

I agree with the X-men analogy. As for Superman #1 - if HG grade copies are as rare as they seem to be, then for many collectors grade probably will be a more important factor, but if copies with the "on sale now" ad for Action #14 become accepted as not 1st printings, then a, say, 4.0 copy of that edition may get less interest than a 4.0 copy of a "on sale June 14th" issue.

I'm curious as to whether the scarcer Oct. printings of Marvel Comics #1 sell for more than the Nov. copies. This could be another case where there aren't enough sales in similar grades to accurately determine the answer. I've never been clear as to whether the Nov. issues are considered a second printing, or if the overstamping was done as an afterthought in order to extend the shelf life. Anybody know?

Another thought, one way of determining whether the 2nd printing has the same ad as the 1st or the 3rd would be to survey the existing copies. If the number of existing "on sale now" copies run near 35% then it would indicate that the 2nd & 3rd both have this ad, but if the number were closer to 15% then it would indicate that only the 3rd printing does. Not that I expect everyone who owns an Action #1 to start cracking their slabs or anything - especially since I'm sure most would rather just believe that they have a 1st printing, rather than checking.

A friend of mine.

Now your telling us you have friends? 893naughty-thumb.gif

That's it, can't trust anything he says anymore. Sup #1 sales a fake. CGC doesn't grade books, they throw darts at a dart board (a total miss means the books restored). shocked.gif

Sell all your CGC books.

893whatthe.gif

Wait, let me clarify.

Sell all your CGC books to me. grin.gif