• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Roy Thomas had to learn to make dinner

10 posts in this topic

just kidding....

Was having a bad day so I decided to get a nice scan of my recently acquired Night Nurse 2. With only a few books in the set (4) and only a few people on the registry (10) I'm filled with the desire to complete this set and at least be top 3, but we'll see. I have a nice-ish raw #4 for my Lady in White collection, that might get a press before slabbing. I've also toyed with the idea of getting all the female talent at a con to sign a Night Nurse book for SS submission as an homage to Marvel's 70 version of "equality" vs today's modern female creator.

Either way. Love this book and was glad to buy it as part of a fundraising effort over on the CGC message boards for one of our members who had health problems (and all the accompanying bills)

13467.JPG

See more journals by miraclemet

Damn! You got me! I was like, "Now that's something interesting to read!"... but then I see it was just a clever ruse to read about Night Nurse.

Did they save that man's daughter?

What was Night Nurse's special power anyway?

Did she ever nurse any of the Marvel superheroes back to health with chicken soup and a cute smile?

Could she take on Nurse Jackie?

What if Doctor Doom was on life support... would she pull the plug?

I'm just curious.

SW3D

Damn! You got me! I was like, "Now that's something interesting to read!"... but then I see it was just a clever ruse to read about Night Nurse.

Did they save that man's daughter?

What was Night Nurse's special power anyway?

Did she ever nurse any of the Marvel superheroes back to health with chicken soup and a cute smile?

Could she take on Nurse Jackie?

What if Doctor Doom was on life support... would she pull the plug?

I'm just curious.

SW3D

1.) You'll have to read it to find out!

2.) She doesn't have powers, she's just a very dedicated young nurse.

3.) Not in the original series, but last decade Marvel brought her back as a nurse who secretly fixes up wounded superheroes. She appeared in this capacity during Civil War, helping Cap's underground team.

4.) Obviously.

5.) Of course she wouldn't, she's a nurse!

Night Nurse focuses on Linda Carter and her roomates who all work 3rd shift in Metro General Hospital in the Marvel universe.

Linda was also a kind of "mob doctor" doing nursing/doctoring off the books for various superheroes as they came to her. And yep, as Crimebuster pointed out, she has no super powers. Just a "regular persons" brushing up against the crazy world of the marvel universe.

After reading Marvel Comics: The Untold Story I found the time when Marvel was trying to be more modern (back in the 70s) so interesting in its clumsiness. Night Nurse along with Claws of the Cat and Shana the She-Devil came out to appeal to girl readers.

Marvel at least had the bright idea to bring in female writers on the titles, Roy Thomas's wife Jean wrote Night Nurse, John Sevrin's SISTER Marie came up with the concept of Cat (and was later written by Editorial Assistant, Linda Fite), Carole Seuling wrote Shanna (Carole was the wife of Phil Seuling, NY con organizer and later creator of comic's direct market distribution method).

In otherwords Stan's plan was to appeal to girls, and he turned to the wives and sisters of people he knew that had some writing/comic experience to create them.

Shanna and Cat (who later became Tigra) had more staying power, but Night Nurse Linda Carter has reappeared recently aiding some of Cap's heroes in the Marvel Civil War.

Ironically when Marvel attempted to create African America leads in comics, Stan (and co) didnt think to (initially) turn to any African American comic book talent (Would have LOVED to see Richard Green take on Luke Cage and Marvel).

Still a very nice book. I once fancied trying to get this series (along with the Cat) because I felt they were undervalued and a small run. It never happened though. I purchased one issue of the cat but no copies of the Night Nurse.