• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Press???
1 1

32 posts in this topic

OK - I have done some perusing. Yes, there is danger of cracking the emulsion. It seems various types of wet washes ranging from distilled water to special archival flattening agents (liquids that help prints dry flat - but non-archival ones can weaken the emulsion bond). Followed by anything from air drying slowly in 60 % humidity follwed by a flat press like the book press, to a heated photo drum. In other words, it may be worth your while to look into having them done by a professional. I never did any work with photographic restoration but know enough about photogrpahy to understand what I have ben reading and realize it is not for casual use! grin.gif

Since we are talking about presses:

Is it ok to store your comics under pressure?

I have 2 large 4 drawer metal filing cabnets that I keep the majority of my comics in. The cabnets have the adjustable dividers in each drawer. I can adjust the divider so that the comics just barley stand up, or to the point where they are compressed so tight its hard to pull just one out. (currently I have it set in the middle).

All my comics are in bags and boards, and I keep them on their sides (not the spine) so they have equal pressure all over.... None of the comics tends to stay in there very long as I have been sending them off to CGC a stack per week.

I am including photos to illustrate what I am talking about as I am certain that I havent' been that clear.

Please let me know if this is a bad way to store the comics....or if this is better than just putting them in a long box. Thanks in advance.

file.jpg

file2.jpg

I would (and Overstreet does) suggest storing them upright. You're putting an awful lot of stress on the staple area as you have them since the interior might want to "fall" down, pulling away from the staples. I wouldn't have them too tight as that causes damage taking the books in and out of the stack.

Do you have the Ewoks run? No SW collection is complete without 'em!!

Hey, MCGowan,

I learned the hard way that storing comics under pressure like that isn't good for the long run. Eventually the spines will split! This happened to many of my comics that I kept packed in long comic boxes. I recently opened them up just to find that most of them were worthless afterwards (especially with comics from 1992 and up that use thicker paper that is less pliable such as Image and some Marvels when they were using the high quality paper for a while). The comics should be tight enough to be stand upright and firm. Also, I have seen some comics develop spin roll when packed too tight in boxes. Just my 2 cents.

This wa son old thread, apparantly, but maybe I can revive it with some questions.

Taking apart a comic seems to be mentally too much to think of. The book press seems reasonable. HAs anybodyt taken the advice of this original thread using a book press to achieve desired, permanenet results.

Primarily, I'd like to get rid of stacking creases and minor spine roll.