• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday Comics and dailies
4 4

388 posts in this topic

Gasoline Alley had a number of fantasy Sunday strips, like this one from 1930 with Walt and Skeezix entering a world of crazy modern art!

b638d536413664dfe2efca3f92f458cf.jpg

Great stuff. Thanks for posting them.

Gasoline Alley had a number of fantasy Sunday strips, like this one from 1930 with Walt and Skeezix entering a world of crazy modern art!

Those Gasoline Alley Sunday pages are some of my favorites. I was a fan in the sixties and seventies but discovered it was even better in the thirties and forties.

5544624947_6920dbdfbc_b.jpg

Great stuff. Thanks for posting them.

Star comics published Gasoline Alley reprints with LB Cole covers.

2081419067_3dcaf90936_z.jpg

I've posted these in the Australian GA thread, but since no one actually reads that, I thought I'd share them here.

Here's a beautiful 1942 Sunday comics adaptation of an Australian aboriginal dreamtime legend by Mary and Elizabeth Durack. Elizabeth was a well known artist in her own right,

nungalla_zps948711f2.jpg

Here's a Hal Foster inspired (I'm guessing) strip from 1941. The sabre-tooth tigers are awesome.

Okaic_zps95d35f86.jpg

This one I'd have called a Barks knock off (artwise - the gag is lame), except that it dates from 1942!

waddly_wombat_zpsd0c17d01.jpg

Very nice Captain Easy, BB! That title seems to have inspired many of the next generation of comic creators.

Another influential strip - a precursor to Peanuts - was Percy Crosby's Skippy.

Skippy was probably the first comic to become a hit movie, way back in 1931. The Skippy film starred Jackie Cooper (much later to play Perry White in Superman) and won the Oscar for Best Director.

Here's a full page 1930's Skippy from my collection.

68d55ef4-bedb-47e2-a395-4b5020c77ec9.jpg

Edited by Arkadin

3rd appearance of Flash Gordon and 1st appearance of Ming (1/24/33)

junglejimandflashgordon3rdappearanceintromingB_zpsef01173d.jpg

That one is really nice. Ming was the most famous villain in comics, I think. (After Black Pete, maybe)

8710647836_c5b3003acb_b.jpg

Although this one is from 1945, some newspapers continued to publish full page Prince Valiant comics in the sixties. Foster was amazing.

Edited by BB-Gun