• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday Comics and dailies
4 4

388 posts in this topic

8709526267_03186fa4a3_b.jpg

I think there were several Nedor issues, four colors and platinum series starring Jiggs and Maggie.

I don't know if Nedor had one or if they did, I didn't realize it but Standard did.

JiggsandMaggie21_zpse90285ee.jpg

I received the second volume of the collected Bringing up Father from IDW (?) yesterday. Wish I had more time to read ...

8712555478_92f1d22186_c.jpg

Mac Raboy did a great job on Flash. He was the artist working on the strip when I was young. I didn't know about Raymond until many years later.

Thanks for posting these Raboy Flash. :thumbsup: I only have the Dark Horse reprints in B&W so I have never seen these in color.

I think there were several Nedor issues, four colors and platinum series starring Jiggs and Maggie.

I don't know if Nedor had one or if they did, I didn't realize it but Standard did.

I received the second volume of the collected Bringing up Father from IDW (?) yesterday. Wish I had more time to read ...

Nedor publishing was a subset of Standard so I guess I was technically wrong but I tend to use those company names interchangeably (Nedor/Standard/Better). ACG gets a different designation due to the silver age connection. I'll have to read Vance's book again..

2530730733_ea55d890ac_z.jpg

You can see the art deco influence in black and white while reading this early book of McManus cartoons.

Edited by BB-Gun

Nedor publishing was a subset of Standard so I guess I was technically wrong but I tend to use those company names interchangeably (Nedor/Standard/Better). ACG gets a different designation due to the silver age connection. I'll have to read Vance's book again..

2530730733_ea55d890ac_z.jpg

You can see the art deco influence in black and white while reading this early book of McManus cartoons.

There were at least 2 4-colors, including one from the first series; about a dozen Standards and another 6 or 7 Harvey issues.

Prior to that, there was 24 Cupples & Leon issues (not 26 as listed in Overstreet), and 2 hardbound rebinds like the one pictured... and a couple earlier, scarcer rectangular books.

quote=BB-Gun]I like the tabloid size Spirit mags and Superman tabloid size Sunday pages.

I am especially fond of the giant robot story that was featured on the cover of Action 36 but can only be found in the funny pages.

5583121102_6e7bf3206c_b.jpg

I am especially fond of the giant robot story that was featured on the cover of Action 36 but can only be found in the funny pages.

5583121102_6e7bf3206c_b.jpg

And very remeniscent of the 1941 Fleischer Superman cartoon, The Mechanical Monsters.

1941 Superman and Miss Fury (aka Black Fury)

]newspapermissfuryjune291941final_zpsc35d74cd.jpg

I like those Black Fury pages. I have a reprint book with some of those strips< I think. I also picked up a comic.

3304495506_ef60853548_z.jpg