• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday Comics and dailies
4 4

388 posts in this topic

The Yellow Kid is my personal favorite newspaper page. I wish I could find more but they rarely pop up. The scan is only 9" X 13" but the page is really 17" X 21." Need the larger size to read all the little jokes. This thread has so many great pieces (thumbs u

Hejji is another rare strip. Appearing for only 3 months in 1935, it was Dr. Seuss' only comic strip.

I picked up a near-complete run of the strip on Heritage last year (missing only the first and last strip). The previous owner had put them in "slabs" made out of thick plastic sheets with foam core backings - and Heritage left them that way. In addition to the Hejji's, the auction lot also included a complete 1935 Puck comic section and a Babe Ruth ad, also in home-made "slabs."

When I took these "slabs" apart (to put them in mylars), I discovered that the Puck section contained another Hejji inside in great condition.

001.jpg

The Babe Ruth ad didn't interest me much. But when I removed it from it's "slab" and turned it over... on the other side was the first Hejji strip!

0d04ee5e-0225-4a4d-8240-483463f34cb9.jpg

Why it had been "slabbed" with the Hejji on the inside is certainly a mystery hm - but now I just need the last strip.

Edited by Arkadin

Like BB-Gun, I like the postwar tabloid size Spirit sections. Here are a few from the early 50's:

006.jpg

The 1951 "Rife" magazine parody has some beautiful pinups of classic Eisner femme fatales:

007.jpg

The tabloid Spirits are BIG. Here's a shot of one with a regular Dell comic book for comparison.

009.jpg

Like BB-Gun, I like the postwar tabloid size Spirit sections. Here are a few from the early 50's:

(snip)

The tabloid Spirits are BIG. Here's a shot of one with a regular Dell comic book for comparison.

009.jpg

Too big to fit on the scanner...but I tried.

3185559788_8d98680573_o.jpg

Hejji is another rare strip. Appearing for only 3 months in 1935, it was Dr. Seuss' only comic strip.

I picked up a near-complete run of the strip on Heritage last year (missing only the first and last strip). The previous owner had put them in "slabs" made out of thick plastic sheets with foam core backings - and Heritage left them that way. In addition to the Hejji's, the auction lot also included a complete 1935 Puck comic section and a Babe Ruth ad, also in home-made "slabs."

snip

I love those early Seuss strips and Flash Gordon is always good to see.

I have a few reprint books but I particularly like the Nostalgia press volume that I have due to the extra large panels and end plate constructed from Raymond's art.

8872224722_02969835b5_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Hey all,

You may have seen me poking around other threads trying to find high resolution images for our PBS documentary on the history of the comic book superhero.

I've come here because we are currently trying to find high resolution scans of some daily newspaper strips, specifically some early Tarzan, Invisible Scarlet O'Neil, Miss Fury, and Superman strips. If you think you may have what we are looking for sending me a private message, and I'll send you which images specifically we are looking for.

Thanks all!

-Joe

Just picked up these early Terry and the Pirates - what a classic adventure strip!

1935/01/13 - strip #6

002942x1280.jpg

I love those pages. Caniff is described as the Rembrandt of comics but I think he's more like Dickens or Jules Verne. He could tell a pretty good story.

9203112513_0ce4e9109a_c.jpg

Reprints in Popular were smaller versions of the Sunday Page but Harvey enlarged and rearranged the panels to fit a comic book format. Better for reading if you don't have the full size pages.

9203113031_bb1224c15f_c.jpg

Milt and Bunny at the 1982 Comic Book Convention. Photo by Alan Light.

Edited by BB-Gun

spirit1940june2fixed_zps8e34031d.jpg

The first Spirit Section, I absolutely love it Frank (it's one of the few I'm missing from 1940).

I had a chance to buy the complete run a few years ago but I only wanted that first issue. I purchased an Action 21 from the same guy.

Before he did Red Ryder, Fred Harman drew another cowboy strip, Bronc Peeler.

These are really beautiful Sunday pages that include large Western action scenes that remind me of Remington.

Here are a couple from 1935.

7j4h.jpg

8a8b.jpg

Before he did Red Ryder, Fred Harman drew another cowboy strip, Bronc Peeler.

These are really beautiful Sunday pages that include large Western action scenes that remind me of Remington.

Here are a couple from 1935.

7j4h.jpg

8a8b.jpg

A lot of Bronc Peeler stories were reprinted in the comics and Red Ryder comics had lots of other strip reprints, like Captain Easy and King of the Royal Mounted

1767280368_9dc6b6a28b_b.jpg

8342403548_03682bf469_c.jpg

Cowboy humor by JR Williams was unique and probably a Sunday highlight but I remember reading his Out our way in the daily pages. They were reprints from the thirties and other people drew the strip after he stopped.