• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rat Queens - Kurtis J. Wiebe, Meg Dejmal, John Upchurch
2 2

1,617 posts in this topic

As a big fan of this book (and PP) - that hurts.

I can accept the decision as long as there's not a new title coming out in the near future from Kurtis. Whilst Image is by far and away my favourite publisher, they do have a tendency to put zero focus on finishing out titles properly, and huge investment in a never ending conveyor belt of new titles.

I get that sales can be a defining factor, but if I was building a strategy for Image I'd make one of the goals to have less #1 and more #30+. I really feel that readers would be more loyal to the titles they enjoy if the weren't constantly having to reevaluate their pull list to accomodate more new titles from their favourite artists.

PP was two issues from completion when the book became no longer financially viable for the artists. I get that, but surely Image needed to step in at the time and fund the last two issues for the sake of their brand and their audience.

First ever rant. Apologies.

The key is to buy #1, flip it while it is hot at the start for silly $$$, then picking up the run a year later in the $1 bin........

True, and we all do that but to watch the series go up in flames still sucks. This was a top 4 Image book imo. Now just EoW, Saga, and The Walking Dead left. :sorry:

Firstly, sorry to hear about this.

I just simply cant understand what makes a title go out of business when it has a good foundation and an average+ sales rank. (didnt the 3rd TPB just came out this month) I see how Image may decide to drop it if it performs below their expectations, but with Twitter, FB, blogs (heck even our little rinky dink operation here) and good old word of mouth, theres simply no way you can tell me fans CANNOT support a title they love. Thats why theres Kickstarter.

Simply put; Quality+networking=success

maybe its something Mr Weibe needs to look into?

Regardless, Im still a fan and I know many here are as well.

Hope this is not the end

Looks like KW provided some context on a subreddit

Hello everyone!

I know a lot of people have had issues with the third arc. About the writing being off and the art not holding up.

Here's the thing I want people to know. What happened with the original artist wasn't just something I moved on from the next day. It was a brutal time for everyone involved. It had an effect.

The new arc is darker, maybe confusing. Because that's what my life has been like in regards to Rat Queens since Roc left. It was one huge derailment after another. I nearly gave up, but I knew fans wanted more. Some fans.

I want to say this about Tess Fowler. She saved Rat Queens. When Stjepan had to quit after two issues due to health reasons, I was done. But Tess came on, encouraged me to continue, and took over the series with ZERO practice time. She literally started drawing a monthly comic series having never drawn the characters in more than a pinup and not only that, but full time, never having done a monthly series.

She's done a stellar job just getting these issues out. But people aren't seeing that. They are seeing that Rat Queens looks different.

I'm working out my demons in this arc. It's not called “Demons” for nothing.

Our next arc is a brand new start. Tess will have time to do some designs, get familiar with the world without the looming deadlines. (We have a small break between arcs).

It's going to be fun again. It's going to feel like the original volume. But it WILL be different. Because Rat Queens has changed with everything that's happened.

But I still love these characters. And I want to take them on insane adventures. Hope you come along.

Kurtis

Edit: Side note. I've looked into overall numbers for many Image series. There has been a fall of around 2000 copies per issue for many titles. I'm speculating it is related to the tanking CDN $. Our best selling issue ever was the Braga one shot by Tess.

Is Roc working at all or has his professional life been completely destroyed...it's no wonder people out of prison go back in, people in general aren't much for second chances. Not saying what he did was right but the guy has to eat I would think

Edited by krighton

Is Roc working at all or has his professional life been completely destroyed...it's no wonder people out of prison go back in, people in general aren't much for second chances. Not saying what he did was right but the guy has to eat I would think

Im friends w him on fb. Hes working hes on commissions and X-Men sketches like you wouldnt believe. The guys talented. You cant take that away from him

12923335_10153638055339506_1101690255557375642_n.jpg

10399713_10153625428359506_3928107849114063694_n.jpg

Edited by Aweandlorder

Image writers and artists must be under a lot more pressure than those that work at marvel or dc.

Seems like virtually every life occurrence delays image comics

I can't imagine DC or Marvel would tolerate the common delays that have occurred with several Image titles. It may be known within DC and Marvel that you either produce or you are out of the job. That's a motivating fear that may not come with independently owned titles.

Image writers and artists must be under a lot more pressure than those that work at marvel or dc.

Seems like virtually every life occurrence delays image comics

I can't imagine DC or Marvel would tolerate the common delays that have occurred with several Image titles. It may be known within DC and Marvel that you either produce or you are out of the job. That's a motivating fear that may not come with independently owned titles.

Yep it doesn't seem like delays are tolerated at the big 2.

I can accept the decision as long as there's not a new title coming out in the near future from Kurtis. Whilst Image is by far and away my favourite publisher, they do have a tendency to put zero focus on finishing out titles properly, and huge investment in a never ending conveyor belt of new titles.

I get that sales can be a defining factor, but if I was building a strategy for Image I'd make one of the goals to have less #1 and more #30+. I really feel that readers would be more loyal to the titles they enjoy if the weren't constantly having to reevaluate their pull list to accomodate more new titles from their favourite artists.

PP was two issues from completion when the book became no longer financially viable for the artists. I get that, but surely Image needed to step in at the time and fund the last two issues for the sake of their brand and their audience.

I completely agree. To kill Panzerfaust with 2 issues left actually shows a pretty high degree of disregard for loyal customers. And as far as Kurtis being busy, maybe he should lay off the Dming and be more committed to his projects.

:jokealert:

Edited by ridersrohan

I completely agree. To kill Panzerfaust with 2 issues left actually shows a pretty high degree of disregard for loyal customers. And as far as Kurtis being busy, maybe he should lay off the Dming and be more committed to his projects.

:jokealert:

From Bleeding Cool

"His other Image title Peter Panzerfaust also remains on hiatus, But hid new book with Mindy Lee, Bounty is for Dark Horse Comics and out in June instead."