• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would this be OA or Stat Cover

10 posts in this topic

There is this cover I saw

137542.jpg

It is described as

All original cover, rendered on thick vellum and applied to a Marvel template, very common practice for the time period

Does that make it Half OA and Half Stat or does it really qualify as OA

It's most likely OA.

If that center image was drawn on vellum and put on a larger board then this is the OA for the cover.

Romita Sr. was known to create images and covers on vellum and then have that vellum affixed to a larger bristol board. It's OA.

Also, a lot of people don't know this but most vellum is more archival than bristol, and will last hundreds of years before decomposition occurs.

^ sure, but in the short term it doesn't look that great and in the long term we'll all be dead :)

As you say its OA but I can see why it might bother some (and not bother others at all).

"Also, a lot of people don't know this but most vellum is more archival than bristol, and will last hundreds of years before decomposition occurs."

It's not the vellum that's the problem, but the glue or adhesive used to adhere the vellum to the sheet of bristol. So, in this case, yellowing has occurred and any archival hopes are killed. If it's just a lovely, untouched piece of vellum paper- you'd be fine (although vellum tends to be thin, leading to more wear if not treated gently).

"Also, a lot of people don't know this but most vellum is more archival than bristol, and will last hundreds of years before decomposition occurs."

It's not the vellum that's the problem, but the glue or adhesive used to adhere the vellum to the sheet of bristol. So, in this case, yellowing has occurred and any archival hopes are killed. If it's just a lovely, untouched piece of vellum paper- you'd be fine (although vellum tends to be thin, leading to more wear if not treated gently).

True, they took the time to use wonderful vellum and then used any adhesive that was handy. :facepalm:

Great cover - Severin had been a consistently fine strip-illustrator throughout his long career and, if you can live with the issues of vellum, would make a great addition to anyone's collection!

My understanding is that vellum can be cleaned-up. I once trade a ASM page to Mike Burkey that had a vellum panel pasted-on. He told me that one of his restorer contacts could reduce the tanning of the art.