• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signings by the greats

16 posts in this topic

Infantino and others...

So I try to be pretty tight in my collecting focuses. Green Lantern (priority on signature series) and adding to or upgrading my Gothic Horror Lady in White themed collection.

But last year I decided that I wanted to try to get signed books (SS where possible) by all of the greats who laid the foundation for all the comics I'd later enjoy when I was a kid in the 80s.

Part of this desire stemmed from my sadness that I'd never get a Signature Series Gil Kane book (since he died before the program), as that he was the co-creator of Green Lantern, my favorite superhero.

So my first target was to get a signature from Carmine Infantino, who did so much for DC before my time, most notably creating the silver age Flash. Infantino's ability to show motion on the static page was always amazing to me, and influenced so many artists throughout the deacades.

So I was lucky enough to get his signature on a Flash book thanks to the facilitation of Desert Wind Comics last year. He passed away not two weeks after I got my book back from CGC. I felt so lucky and blessed to have a book by Infantino, even if I never had the chance to meet him myself.

My family situation precludes me from being able to go to almost any convention, maybe in a decade this will change, maybe not, but for now I have to rely on the facilitation of others and just be happy with having a book that was held and signed by some of the creators I respect so much. I wish that I would have had a chance to thank him in person, but hopefully the amount of love that was shown to him by the collecting community made him know how important he was to all of us.

I'll be adding to this journal as I plan for, and acquire more signatures by some of the great.

13533.jpg

See more journals by miraclemet

My next big target was Nick Cardy. I've been growing fonder and fonder of his Aquaman covers over the last year, so I thought getting Nick to sign an Aquaman cover would be an amazing addition.

Mr Cardy was not scheduled to do many cons this year (to date), but luckily he was asked to be one of the Featured Guests at Florida Supercon. So once I knew he had an upcoming appearance I lept into action to find a good book for his scribble.

My philosophy is to never get a high $$ book signed, and for me anything over $100 is high $$ (yes Im a big roller, look out!). I generally target books in the 8.5-9.0 range when it comes to SA signatures, since past that range the books start to get pricey. Luckilly Aquaman books, while being somewhat hard to find, are not to expensive.

So after a WTB thread, and a missed opportunity for a 9.0ish raw #35 at Metropolis, paperheart hooked me up with a great looking #35.

Why Aquaman #35? Well first its a great cover, and second its the first appearance of Black Manta, my favorite Aquaman villain (thanks to the 80s Superfriends show). It also has the Ocean Master on the cover so right there you have both of Aquaman's arch nemesi. Other books were considered (29, 42, and 49 were also on the radar as options).

Since Nick Cardy also did art on some of my Lady in White books, Im also sending my raw Witching Hour LiW for him to sign, so I can finally get it slabbed (probably 8.5ish).

137563.jpg.81ae1e3af6f155b03eeeb389ad14f161.jpg

Good choice of an Aquaman key and Nick Cardy signature.

Can't wait to see the addition or upgrade to your Lady in White collection.

I think it's pretty neat... very unique set!

How did you come up with that set concept? What was your inspiration?

Is there a particular criteria you are following or is it simply covers with women in white flowing gowns ala gothic style?

Could you post a journal about it if you haven't already?

SW3D

Picked up a box of books from my local used book store. They know I collect, so when they get in a new buyout (this time from another used bookstore who had comics too) I usually get a heads up.

Went down, filled up a box with some books (mostly 20 cent cover War comics), and grabbed a copy of Superman 411 too, the Julie Schwartz tribute:

PZ5hExs.jpg

Opened it up in the car to read as I waited for my daughters school to get out.

And what do I find on the front page?

kaj0VUD.jpg

Wow! Now its no CGC SS high grade, but it's nice to have a Schwartz in the collection since he passed away in 2004, and Im not sure I've seen all that many Signature Series books of his. Maybe he wasnt doing cons late in life during the last few years where he overlapped with the Signature Series program, or maybe they've just never hit the market. I've seen some Dynamic Forces signatures, but thats it.

Checked the signature for authenticity. Yep looks good.

YKHDjuo.jpg

Im guessing that since Schwartz came to Dragon*con here in Atlanta each year (they named an award for him, which he himself gave out each year for achievement's spanning multiple genres and formats) there's probably a decent number of books with his auto in them around these parts, but all the same this one is mine.

I have a fondness for Julie since it was at his direction that DC revitalize a bunch of golden age heroes, including my favorite, Green Lantern. He certainly is DC's version of Stan Lee. And I love having his tribute book, signed by the man himself.

Sent my Aquaman 35 and the below Witching Hour #127 off to Joey for a press and SS prep. Books will then head over to Par2ch for facilitation of a Nick Cardy signature at Florida Supercon July 4-7. Fingers crossed that it all goes well.

I just have to say that Joey's website is the best user experience I've had with a comic book website. Amazingly well thought out, and easy to use. And I'm sure it helps him keep his bookwork straight too...

hdvpE.jpg

Well now I wait.

I was able to get the OAK Cardy Unexpected #127 here on the boards, so I pulled my copy of #127.

I had my Aquaman #35 pressed by Joey and then off to Par2ch for a Cardy SS.

Seems interest inthe Aquaman #35 has heated up of late. The Savannah ped 9.4 (with its Savannah-y Cr/OW pages) is aready near $500. And would represent only the 2nd CGC sale of an Aquaman #35 in over a year. With only 17 on census, and none SS to date its a great DC 12 center. Aquaman has been hot (comparitively) since the New52 launch, which is helping fuel sales (along with people getting the Cardy cover fever)

I've got mine fast tracked, so I'll be counting the weeks until my book is back to me. The good thing is that Supercon was before SDCC and what I'd imaging is a deluge of SS submissions.

Wonder what others got Cardy to sign at Supercon... hm

Well let me make a few additions to my "Signings by the Greats" collection

First I get Infantino's signature back just before he passes away (like within a week), then I got Nick's signature back around October... and he passed away in November. Im almost afraid to get anyone else's signature...

Here is it. its a OAK, it's the only SS Aquaman #35, 1st Black Manta... one top Cardy covers during his amazing Aquaman run.

hH0BZvl.jpg

Here's another GOAT signing.

Im not a huge war comics collector, but when I think war comics I think two names: Joe Kubert and Russ Heath.

Russ drew my absolute favorite war comic cover; All American Men of War #94. His ability to draw vehicles/planes is just staggering.

Had a chance to buy a copy of AAMOW94 signed by Russ for a very fair price thanks to the existence of some restoration on the book. I dont care about restoration when it comes to SS (assuming I can get the book at a discount) , I care about the signature.

Thus the addition to my Greatest Signatures list.

pheD5TH.jpg

Had been looking for a Joe Simon book.

Prices being what they were since Mr. Simon's passing, I had to resign myself to not being able to afford more than a modern book with Joe's sig on it.

Then this popped up.

jqArcyx.jpg

I liked getting this one since it was Joe's last time working with his old friend Jack Kirby. So while its not a book with Simon's art in it, it does have Simon's writing work.

Congratulations on the Aquaman 35 and I'm really looking forward to seeing this collection grow!

It's sad that many of the great ones are passing on but what a great way to preserve a part of their history and legacy.