• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FLYING SAUCER COVERS & STORIES
1 1

82 posts in this topic

Overstreet states the first five "FLYING SAUCER ISSUES" were:

2- SHADOW COMICS V7 #10 (1/48)

First time I ever saw this cover...thanks for sharing.

mm

Got this in the mail today: Spirit section from 9/28/47.

Overstreet says: "1st mention of Flying Saucers in comics - 3 months after 1st sighting in Idaho on 6/25/47."

Which isn't quite right - the sighting was actually in Washington state (by Kenneth Arnold, a pilot from Idaho) on 6/24/47. hm

Of course, Eisner not only taps the headlines for material, he also throws in a wicked Orson Welles parody for good measure.

gg017.jpg

Overstreet says: "1st mention of Flying Saucers in comics - 3 months after 1st sighting in Idaho on 6/25/47."

Which isn't quite right - the sighting was actually in Washington state (by Kenneth Arnold, a pilot from Idaho) on 6/24/47. hm

Of course, Eisner not only taps the headlines for material, he also throws in a wicked Orson Welles parody for good measure.

gg017.jpg

THIS IS AWESOME!...thanks for sharing.

mm

60mt134.jpg

I remember seeing a copy for sale on the forums and missing out. I liked the cover so much I found this copy on eBay a couple of months ago. It is the only Atlas non Superhero book I own.

36AB5A42-C9AD-46B7-873D-EA2E2B950118.jpg

I guess you are looking for flying disks (flying saucers), and not spaceships. Are these supposed to be "spaceships"? Or just futuristic aeroplanes?

Seems that the term "flying saucer" didn't come about until the late 40's.

But anyway. Here is a 1940 comic.

buckrogers1front.jpg

Edited by conditionfreak

gg017.jpg

THIS IS AWESOME!...thanks for sharing.

mm

That is very cool!

'Awesome Bells'... lol

And what a great idea for a thread!!

So, here's the Spirit page with the first mention of flying saucers in the comics. Now I see where the Guide got its info.

spiritsaucers.jpg

Thanks for sharing...this is truly a classic!

mm