• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unusual page factory flaws, and how they effect grades.

10 posts in this topic

I have a few pics to show, because it's really the only way to explain what I mean. These books are untouched, copper age books, from an OO who never opened them. I can confirm this. The first pic is of holes I see in a lot of books from this time period, but this one happened to hit the corner. The rest of the pages, and covers are unscathed by this. It was obviously made during the printing process. FA01796B-BFCA-4A4C-B115-E5BAC347842A-5261-0000039EA1D36935.jpg

The next 2 pics show a line where the book was cut? Two of the pages have tears in them, as you can see in the second pic. I must reiderate.. These books went from a case, to a bag and board, into my hands 25 years later. In other words, it must have happened during the production. Are these common, and how would the graded be effected? Here are the 2 pics of the book I mention..E8DB3870-F770-40F6-91F1-F87D7C91C966-5261-0000039EB93FCB8F.jpg

04661F68-C489-4829-A3FD-732FD7A91746-5261-0000039EC6D5CDB7.jpg

And last but not least.. This speaks for itself. Bad cutting job here.. I'm not going to touch it, even though it's an eyesore. Grade effected? EFBD9A06-554F-414C-A065-668F15ACD289-5261-0000039EE0F1E997.jpg Thanks for any info. I hope you post these anomalies, and how or if they effect the grades.

• Administrator

Interior defects that will affect a grade include detached staples, missing pages, missing coupons, etc. Regarding the specific interior defects shown in the pictures above, if the outer book was a 9.8 would still receive a 9.8 with those defects present.

Interior defects that will affect a grade include detached staples, missing pages, missing coupons, etc. Regarding the specific interior defects shown in the pictures above, if the outer book was a 9.8 would still receive a 9.8 with those defects present.

WOW doh! I should have looked here years ago. This is great to know! My J.I.M. Annual #1 has pretty much an identical cutting flaw.

slabbers015.jpg

slabbers014.jpg

slabbers013.jpg

What if the small cuts (from photo #1) are on the outer cover all across the bottom? How much might that affect the grade?

If the cuts were produced during production and are not too severe , both of which you'd have to supply a photo to say with any degree of certainty, thee cuts would not keep the book from 9.8.

Aassuming the book is otherwise a 9.8, that is.

Linked below a good example of a book which commonly has these sorts of production defects, scroll down to the picture of a Amazing Spiderman #361 CGC 9.8:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8936671#Post8936671

Can I get some help? Do I need to start another topic? I am new to the forums and have limited knowledge of how certain production errors are graded.My question is : if a book is cut short in production does that affect how it will be graded by CGC? There is probably a simple answer . I just don't know it. I would appreciate a little guidance. Please advise