• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for Ian

251 posts in this topic

I'm new to these boards Ian, so forgive me if I'm asking repetative questions.

1.) In general, what condition are your DC books in? Do they vary from fair to mint?

2.) There has been a lot of debate on these boards on how many actual copies of each golden age DC book exist. For instance, I own about 7 Sensation Comics DC books graded at 7.0 to 8.5. The CGC census only shows 3 to 6 books graded for each issue. From your experiences, would you say that there are hundreds of other copies not graded as of yet, or something much less. As a collector you don't want to spend more than you have to if there are other books available out there. Thank you.

One problem in declaring a full set of a given company's output that it’s unlikely that you will ever find universal agreement on what constitutes a full set. All you can do is collect what you consider to be a definitive set, you are never likely to convince anyone you have them all.

Christine has a full set by her definition. Ian’s definition differs from Christine and I differ from them both.

First thing for me is that I don’t see any difference between a DC Comic Book with a price on it and one, which was given away. There a both still comics by DC.

So how do you define a full DC set?

Apart from standard edition comic books, should you count all the TPB’s and Hard Covers? What about the cereal comics? The 16 page previews? The 8 page previews? What about the 4 page previews? I remember a discussion with Ian where I said I counted the 4 page previews as part of the full set and Ian said he considered them pamphlets. Do you need both the hard cover and TPB of the same book for a full set? I think so but some people don’t consider TPB’s to be part of a “Comic Book” set at all. Fair enough.

So you decide TPB’s do count. Do 1st prints only count? If you have the 3rd print then it doesn’t count until you get the first print?

Or do you have to get every print? Or is that every reprint with a different cover like Watchmen, which has just been released by DC with a new cover. And what is a cover variant? The 1st Print of Animal Man TPB has the DC logo on the cover; the 2nd print has a Vertigo logo. Is that really a cover variant?

If any old print will do then you can pick up the 1976, 1983 or 1987 Action Comics #1 reprints instead of the original.

Do you really need all ten printings of Batman The Killing Joke – each printing has a different cover logo!

Batman issues in the 400’s were reprinted many times. Each printing carried a different logo in the UPC box and a totally different advert on the back cover. Do you need all these for the full set?

A am sure someone will answer “of course that does not count for a full set” to a least one of the above types of DC’s.

Mike Voiles does not include Bionicle Comics on his main list. To him they are not part of the main set, which is fair enough. They are on my main list however. Mike includes Bioncile on his Giveaway and Promo list. Bionicle comics were sold just like the DC’s you get at the local comic shop.

Is Amazing World of DC or Direct Currents part of a DC set? To me the answer is no as I collect DC Comics not DC publications. Other people think otherwise.

I never used to count the A4 retailer previews that DC used to send to retailers in the early 80’s as being DC comics. When Ian started to collect these I had a re-think and now I enjoy tracking down these modern rare’s.

Ian has Superman Tim on his Giveaway list, which is fair enough. DC did not publish it, so it’s not on mine. When I finish my Giveaway set and Ian asks me if I have any Superman Tim’s and I say no does that mean I don’t have a full set? By my definition I would have a full set, by his definition the answer would be no. If I ask Ian if he has the both the Animal Man TPB’s with the variant logos on and he says no, does that mean he doesn’t not have a full set? What about all those Superman comics that are variants because they have all those Roman Numerals on the cover signify which reprint edition they are?

So in summary all you can ever do is satisfy yourself that you have collected all the editions you want to collect. I don’t think you will ever be able to satisfy everyone that you have a full set.

Regards Earl.

(Not going for a full set BTW)

Ian, is it necesssary to say "supposedly?"

"Supposedly" YOU have them all, too, (save one) but no one but you has checked them, right?

I also knew where the last surviving copy of the legendarily rare Superman/Bradman comic, "This Island Bradman" was, and offered to help her procure it, only to be told by Joe that she wasn't interested in it. THIS is why I use the word "supposedly". Because my own research tells me she will have gaps that she refuses to acknowledge.

gotcha. good points

glad it wasnt petulance behind the word.

carry on, mate!

One problem in declaring a full set of a given company's output that it’s unlikely that you will ever find universal agreement on what constitutes a full set. All you can do is collect what you consider to be a definitive set, you are never likely to convince anyone you have them all.

Christine has a full set by her definition. Ian’s definition differs from Christine and I differ from them both.

First thing for me is that I don’t see any difference between a DC Comic Book with a price on it and one, which was given away. There a both still comics by DC.

So how do you define a full DC set?

Apart from standard edition comic books, should you count all the TPB’s and Hard Covers? What about the cereal comics? The 16 page previews? The 8 page previews? What about the 4 page previews? I remember a discussion with Ian where I said I counted the 4 page previews as part of the full set and Ian said he considered them pamphlets. Do you need both the hard cover and TPB of the same book for a full set? I think so but some people don’t consider TPB’s to be part of a “Comic Book” set at all. Fair enough.

So you decide TPB’s do count. Do 1st prints only count? If you have the 3rd print then it doesn’t count until you get the first print?

Or do you have to get every print? Or is that every reprint with a different cover like Watchmen, which has just been released by DC with a new cover. And what is a cover variant? The 1st Print of Animal Man TPB has the DC logo on the cover; the 2nd print has a Vertigo logo. Is that really a cover variant?

If any old print will do then you can pick up the 1976, 1983 or 1987 Action Comics #1 reprints instead of the original.

Do you really need all ten printings of Batman The Killing Joke – each printing has a different cover logo!

Batman issues in the 400’s were reprinted many times. Each printing carried a different logo in the UPC box and a totally different advert on the back cover. Do you need all these for the full set?

A am sure someone will answer “of course that does not count for a full set” to a least one of the above types of DC’s.

Mike Voiles does not include Bionicle Comics on his main list. To him they are not part of the main set, which is fair enough. They are on my main list however. Mike includes Bioncile on his Giveaway and Promo list. Bionicle comics were sold just like the DC’s you get at the local comic shop.

Is Amazing World of DC or Direct Currents part of a DC set? To me the answer is no as I collect DC Comics not DC publications. Other people think otherwise.

I never used to count the A4 retailer previews that DC used to send to retailers in the early 80’s as being DC comics. When Ian started to collect these I had a re-think and now I enjoy tracking down these modern rare’s.

Ian has Superman Tim on his Giveaway list, which is fair enough. DC did not publish it, so it’s not on mine. When I finish my Giveaway set and Ian asks me if I have any Superman Tim’s and I say no does that mean I don’t have a full set? By my definition I would have a full set, by his definition the answer would be no. If I ask Ian if he has the both the Animal Man TPB’s with the variant logos on and he says no, does that mean he doesn’t not have a full set? What about all those Superman comics that are variants because they have all those Roman Numerals on the cover signify which reprint edition they are?

So in summary all you can ever do is satisfy yourself that you have collected all the editions you want to collect. I don’t think you will ever be able to satisfy everyone that you have a full set.

Regards Earl.

(Not going for a full set BTW)

Utterly brilliant.

By the way, yes I have both Animal Man Trade Paperbacks, and most variant covers. I buy every variant when I can, without actually considering them essential.

And I eagerly collect the four page previews. It's the single sided ones like Hawkworld that I consider to be more like pamphlets, but I still have it anyway.

Earl, this posting of yours is the reason why I joined CGC's forum in the first place, especially considering that I am basically opposed to what slabbing has done for our hobby. There has been so much flaming that I forgot how entertaining true debates about comics could be.

You are my hero.

every dc comic ever? :speechless:

more and more, i realize how far in over my head i am here.

But everyone has to start somewhere.

I've already got my nephew (my Sister's fourteen year old son) into collecting DC comics.

Which list do the So Much Fun/DCs fall under?

I have all five of them. I count them as promotional, as they were a variant which were done by one specific company, as were the Weatherbird Shoe comics which were DC comics with their own cover added.

Which list do the So Much Fun/DCs fall under?

Talking of promos, I've still yet to hear of anyone other than Jerome or myself who has a copy of "The Dirt-Minator", easily the rarest giveaway promo DC. Then of course the Superman/Bradman comic HAS to be the rarest special custom comic ever.

Has anyone ever seen "The Aquateers Meet The Superfriends", or "What Do You Know About This Comic's Seal Of Approval" ?????

Has anyone other than that friend of Earl's ever seen the Batman Rain-Blo gum personalised comic ???

And how many people other than Al Stoltz actaully do have a copy of "Supergear" ???

With only one proper DC to go, the promos STILL elude me.

Ian,

What year was the booklet" What do you know about The comics seal of approval or whatever its called published?

I visited the Comics Code office in the mid-seventies and kind of recall a pamplet that might have been this.

I think Paul Levitz confirmed that the Warlord Remco was never published.

As to the Whitmans-I think these are a low priority for Ian but he does pick them up when available.

Hey Earl, when are you going to post one of your excellent giveaway lists here? I really enjoyed your lst couple over at CPG.

P.S. I agree this has been one of the better Ian related threads in a long time. thumbsup2.gif

Ian,

What year was the booklet" What do you know about The comics seal of approval or whatever its called published?

I visited the Comics Code office in the mid-seventies and kind of recall a pamplet that might have been this.

It was the 1950s. It was apparently a proper comic sized comic, and was definitely made by DC.