• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Chug-a-Lug said:

Hi All.  First-time poster, so hopefully I do this right.

I've enjoyed viewing others' contributions to this thread, so I thought I'd post my #1-50 Archies as well.  I started buying new issues in the 70's up until the early 80's or so.   I also picked up some back issues at comic shops and comicons back then.   I stopped collecting for a number of years, but then went on a bit of an ebay buying spree in the late 90's and just held on to everything since then.   I've never submitted any comics for grading, although the #5 I picked up on ebay was already graded.  I have 32 of the first 50 issues, plus a couple duplicates.  #3 is my oldest.   Always wished I could complete this collection, but the earliest issues are a bit out of my price range now.   Here's a group shot.

1-50.thumb.JPG.1ca03a528c47feb9f9e42d001bb8ffa2.JPG

Welcome to the boards!  You've got some nice books here!  :golfclap:  Your collecting history sounds a lot like mine.  I was buying new books in the 70's, then stopped, then came the ebay buying spree.  Luckily you have #50 already since that one is escalating in price just like the early issues.

20 hours ago, Chug-a-Lug said:

I've enjoyed viewing others' contributions to this thread, so I thought I'd post my #1-50 Archies as well.  I started buying new issues in the 70's up until the early 80's or so.   I also picked up some back issues at comic shops and comicons back then.   I stopped collecting for a number of years, but then went on a bit of an ebay buying spree in the late 90's and just held on to everything since then.   I've never submitted any comics for grading, although the #5 I picked up on ebay was already graded.  I have 32 of the first 50 issues, plus a couple duplicates.  #3 is my oldest.   Always wished I could complete this collection, but the earliest issues are a bit out of my price range now.   Here's a group shot.

Terrific first post! 

On 11/28/2017 at 9:05 PM, Chug-a-Lug said:

Outstanding set! Please show a close up of #50, we'd love to see it (it looks pretty nice).  Also your early ones up to 14 or so.  Thanks.

Edited by gadzukes

7 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I'm curious what the grade is on this and what the resto is.  It's blurry but looks great.

It says "Apparent VG+ 4.5 Slight (P)" and restoration includes a large tear seal on the cover.   Cream to Off-White pages.   Here's a photo.   I'm not sure if it will be visible in this photo, but it looks like the tear extended diagonally through the "i" in Archie and then vertically down the middle.

Archie 5.jpg

2 hours ago, Chug-a-Lug said:

It says "Apparent VG+ 4.5 Slight (P)" and restoration includes a large tear seal on the cover.   Cream to Off-White pages.   Here's a photo.   I'm not sure if it will be visible in this photo, but it looks like the tear extended diagonally through the "i" in Archie and then vertically down the middle.

Archie 5.jpg

I believe this could be a candidate for a "Conserved" label if you ever wanted to resub it.  That way you could get rid of the PLOD.

On 12/7/2017 at 9:55 PM, gadzukes said:

I believe this could be a candidate for a "Conserved" label if you ever wanted to resub it.  That way you could get rid of the PLOD.

Seems likely and a good idea. 

On 12/7/2017 at 9:55 PM, gadzukes said:

Thanks Gadzukes.  I'm not really fluent in the grading classifications, so this is good to know.