• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Patriot6 said:

@Ricksneatstuff Didn't want to clog up the new this week thread, so...

In regards to your new #50, that copy looks great! What do you think it would have come back as sans the 'poor' PQ? Furthermore, how do you really feel about tan or slightly brittle? Especially if the copy in question looks way better than the grade? I recently purchased a book, I will post when it arrives, that I had the same conundrum with. Slightly brittle PQ, but a very nice presenting book. I went for it. Do you feel like the slab sort of protects the book from itself, meaning the pages are less likely to be affected when encapsulated? 

I avoid slightly brittle.  I’m ok with LT/OW

59ACDD0C-5999-4AC7-B42A-F33499193BEA.jpeg

16 hours ago, Chug-a-Lug said:

I assume the Mile High collection includes some Archie comics.

I found this. https://github.com/roblarsen/Edgar-Church-Collection-Data/blob/master/src/A-C.csv Archie is well represented starting at issue 5. Didn’t go through the census data but only three books, in the first 50, starting with Archie 21 have sold according to GPA. Only one through Heritage. The three that have sold went for record prices and are the highest graded. My guess is that they are safely ensconced in the nicest Archie collection out there. 

8 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

I found this. https://github.com/roblarsen/Edgar-Church-Collection-Data/blob/master/src/A-C.csv Archie is well represented starting at issue 5. Didn’t go through the census data but only three books, in the first 50, starting with Archie 21 have sold according to GPA. Only one through Heritage. The three that have sold went for record prices and are the highest graded. My guess is that they are safely ensconced in the nicest Archie collection out there. 

Thanks ThothAmon.  It's interesting that, in addition to Archie 1-4, Pep 22 is also not part of the collection despite a near-complete run prior to it.

If you look in my sig line you will see the Canadian version of Pep 22 (Super Comics nn). There is a Canadian Archie nn one shot (also in my sig line) but it is taken from Pep 49, not Archie 1. The short Bell series of Archies that your book is part of ran from 1948 to 1950 give or take.

13 hours ago, TheycallmeArchie said:

Hi everybody. I'm a longtime Archie collector who has been aware of these boards but hasn't posted anything until now. As a matter of fact, this is my first post ever on any message board. Some of you may have seen me at various shows in the midwest. I know of a couple of posters on here but I am one of the black hole collectors. I'll be periodically posting some of my Archie comics on this topic and the MLJ topic. Some are CGC graded but most of them aren't. Maybe someday I'll grade more. Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you. Here is my copy of Archie #50. I've probably had it for 20+ years and can't believe how much the value has gone up compared to the issues around it.

DSCN1076 (2).JPG

Welcome to the boards Theycallmearchie (and welcome to the club).  What a great 1st post to make.  That's a gorgeous copy, and yes... even low grade copies of 50 are going for a lot of money.  I'd say yours is at least a 4.0 if everything is complete & attached with a similar back cover.

Thanks Gadzukes, it's nice to be here. I'm not much of a grading expert but I would say the 4.0 is about right. There is a small spine split at the bottom cover but not too bad. The centerfold is nice and tight and the cover is attached at the staples. I usually collect the 3.0 - 6.0 range as they are generally in pretty decent shape and are affordable. I won't turn down a higher graded copy at a good price but I'm not going to break the bank. Here's the back cover and the spine split. On the back cover at the top there is 52.00 written in pencil on it. I wonder if that's how much I bought it for way back when? 

archie50.JPG

DSCN1081 (2).JPG