• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

Nice Archie Annual #1 lotemo! This issue was always hard to find for me with the binding intact. I bought a couple before I finally found the one below that is nice enough to keep. In 2003 (I think), I made my first and only trip to San Diego for the con and the Archie bigwigs were there and had a panel discussion. There were some Archie writers and artists there along with Victor Gorelick. He's been at Archie forever and I asked him about the annual buyback. Unfortunately he wasn't much help as he said he didn't know the reason why. A friend of mine is an Archie historian and he wrote a letter to Archie Comics back in the 1990's asking about the buy back of Archie Annual #1 that was advertised in Archie #56. Getting $1.00 for a 25 cent comic was a great profit back in the 50's and an expensive one for Archie. He gave me a copy of the letter from Archie Comics. 

DSCN1222 (2).JPG

CCF02082019_00000 (2).jpg

CCF02082019_00001 (2).jpg

CCF02082019_00002 (2).jpg

16 hours ago, TheycallmeArchie said:

Nice Archie Annual #1 lotemo! This issue was always hard to find for me with the binding intact. I bought a couple before I finally found the one below that is nice enough to keep. In 2003 (I think), I made my first and only trip to San Diego for the con and the Archie bigwigs were there and had a panel discussion. There were some Archie writers and artists there along with Victor Gorelick. He's been at Archie forever and I asked him about the annual buyback. Unfortunately he wasn't much help as he said he didn't know the reason why. A friend of mine is an Archie historian and he wrote a letter to Archie Comics back in the 1990's asking about the buy back of Archie Annual #1 that was advertised in Archie #56. Getting $1.00 for a 25 cent comic was a great profit back in the 50's and an expensive one for Archie. He gave me a copy of the letter from Archie Comics. 

DSCN1222 (2).JPG

CCF02082019_00000 (2).jpg

CCF02082019_00001 (2).jpg

CCF02082019_00002 (2).jpg

Thanks for sharing this.  I've always believed that this was just a marketing thing that they did. 

I'm glad you included the scan of the inside front cover of Archie Annual #1.  Since it mentions how publishers occasionally buy back copies of publications after the fact, I always assumed that they had planned to do a buyback all along.  I'm not sure what they'd gain from a marketing perspective but it's just too coincidental that they would publish this message and then subsequently offer to buy copies back at a premium price several years later.

Agreed.

It seems much more like some sort of publicity stunt than any of the three possibilities given in the letter from Archie.

As to possibility 3, I can’t imagine that a copy of Archie 1 was worth a whole lot in the early 50s...

2 hours ago, 143ksk said:

Agreed.

It seems much more like some sort of publicity stunt than any of the three possibilities given in the letter from Archie.

As to possibility 3, I can’t imagine that a copy of Archie 1 was worth a whole lot in the early 50s...

I think I agree as well.  Very odd.  Can't think of another instance of anything like it. 

On 2/9/2019 at 8:45 PM, Patriot6 said:

I know they're out there, but have had a relatively hard time tracking this one down in decent shape, among others of course. 

You know, I just noticed the goofy picture of V that Juggy is drawing. :)

3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

And if we could see Betty's drawing it would probably have a mustache & devil's horns on it.

lol

One of the greatest 'what ifs' of our time!

I always like going deep into cover and teasing out all of the possibilities. Really gets the old imagination going!

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

And if we could see Betty's drawing it would probably have a mustache & devil's horns on it.

2 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

lol

One of the greatest 'what ifs' of our time!

I always like going deep into cover and teasing out all of the possibilities. Really gets the old imagination going!

Betty really needs to have those daggers shooting from her eyes like they do in some comic strips.