• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

Very impressed by Inaflash’s sale of Archie 35 in 9.4 right here on the boards. Not sure if I would have ponied up the 5k if I’d seen it in time but I would have been sorely tempted. His Archie 8 was also sweet. Hard to find one of those things with an attached cover. 

43 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Very impressed by Inaflash’s sale of Archie 35 in 9.4 right here on the boards. Not sure if I would have ponied up the 5k if I’d seen it in time but I would have been sorely tempted. His Archie 8 was also sweet. Hard to find one of those things with an attached cover. 

On that note, I am in need of a cover for an Archie 8. :wishluck:

On 2/9/2019 at 5:57 PM, Sqeggs said:

Early B&Vs seems to be escalating in price -- unfortunately, because I have some holes to fill. 

bv.jpg

I really enjoy the Archie, Jughead, and B&V annuals. Lots of fun stories and art work. Don't forget the Pals 'n' Gals and Christmas stocking annuals as well. 116 pages of all new stories!

DSCN1182 (2).JPG

DSCN1188 (2).JPG

On 2/23/2019 at 6:34 PM, Patriot6 said:

Not sure if anyone else collects like this, and to be frank I don't always follow this as I stray from 'the path' regularly, although rarely outside of Archie. I try to break down my Archie run by 10s. 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, etc.. One of my favourite groups of ten would be the 30s, 30-39. I love those Ray gill covers.

These are great! I agree, I've always liked that run in the #30s.

5 hours ago, lotemo said:

That's a nice group of books.  I can see how it could get expensive having slabs sent to Canada with ebay's global shipping program.  I looked into using it a while back and felt like it would be way to expensive for buyers.

It truly is. I never look twice once I've established that the seller uses GSP. I can understand the need for it if you're shipping things to Poland or something, but to Canada????

4 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

:baiting:

Which one from the #30s is your favourite :) 

Hmm. Maybe #36 as that librarian is a cutie and her body language is charming. No strong feelings though, they're all fun.

Those are great books that have been posted on this page, throughout the whole thread actually. It's fun to see the different covers and how nice these comics really are. I think Archie gets forgotten or unnoticed by a lot of collectors. Which is probably good for those of us who collect them as there is less competition but it would be nice to see people think of Pep 22 in the same way as Action 1 or Detective 27. There are a lot fewer known Pep 22's out there than the other 2 comics. There are 17 universal and 10 restored Pep 22's. There's a total of 70 Action 1's and 68 Detective 27's. That's a pretty big difference. Does anybody here think that because there are fewer Archie collectors and not a lot of new Archie readers (as far as I can tell from their current sales) that the demand/price will eventually drop as people won't want to buy or aren't interested in the golden age comics? Sorry to go off topic but am just curious.

2 hours ago, TheycallmeArchie said:

Those are great books that have been posted on this page, throughout the whole thread actually. It's fun to see the different covers and how nice these comics really are. I think Archie gets forgotten or unnoticed by a lot of collectors. Which is probably good for those of us who collect them as there is less competition but it would be nice to see people think of Pep 22 in the same way as Action 1 or Detective 27. There are a lot fewer known Pep 22's out there than the other 2 comics. There are 17 universal and 10 restored Pep 22's. There's a total of 70 Action 1's and 68 Detective 27's. That's a pretty big difference. Does anybody here think that because there are fewer Archie collectors and not a lot of new Archie readers (as far as I can tell from their current sales) that the demand/price will eventually drop as people won't want to buy or aren't interested in the golden age comics? Sorry to go off topic but am just curious.

Since I started this thread many years ago I've seen an uptick in Archie collectors and ALOT more competition in bidding on certain issues.

Edited by gadzukes

42 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Since I started this thread many years ago I've seen an uptick in Archie collectors and ALOT more competition in biding on certain issues.

That's good to hear. I'm new to this thread and haven't researched too many prices. I was basing my comment on the shows that I've been to in my area. I ask a lot of dealers if they carry older Archie's and they say hardly anybody wants them or they left them at the store because the don't sell at the shows.  I guess I need to start traveling and going to better shows!  

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Since I started this thread many years ago I've seen an uptick in Archie collectors and ALOT more competition in bidding on certain issues.

With the popularity of Riverdale which has at least a few million fans around the world, if even just 50 or 100 of those fans develop an interest in the original comics that inspired the show, we're likely to see prices continue to increase.  Even though the new comics don't sell in huge numbers, the awareness of the Archie characters in general has grown substantially.  Granted the show takes a lot of liberties with the characters but even for me as a longtime fan, Riverdale is more like The Mighty Archie Art players do teen melodrama with murder and intrigue.

13 minutes ago, lotemo said:

With the popularity of Riverdale which has at least a few million fans around the world....

Is there evidence it has a world wide audience?  I'm not even sure what season they're on.  I watched a couple episodes and it didn't do much for me, did it get better?  

Don't get me wrong, I want it to do well.  Selfishly I want huge worldwide swaths of Archie fans, who like you say, will develop an interest in the original comics (just let me get my high grade copies of want I want before they drive up the prices more).

15 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Is there evidence it has a world wide audience?  I'm not even sure what season they're on.  I watched a couple episodes and it didn't do much for me, did it get better?  

Don't get me wrong, I want it to do well.  Selfishly I want huge worldwide swaths of Archie fans, who like you say, will develop an interest in the original comics (just let me get my high grade copies of want I want before they drive up the prices more).

It was renewed for a fourth season.  I wouldn't say it's gotten better.  It actually just gets weirder.   From what I see online, they have fans in the UK and the cast went to France for a convention there.  I sometimes open the twitter feed during the live telecast and there is non-stop posting throughout the show in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.  I've seen plenty of online articles on the show and there is always press coverage in the UK.  Many of the cast, in particular the actresses that play Betty and Veronica get a number of magazine covers in Mexico and other countries so there does seem to be a decent amount of interest in the show beyond the US..