• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, lotemo said:

It was renewed for a fourth season.  I wouldn't say it's gotten better.  It actually just gets weirder.   From what I see online, they have fans in the UK and the cast went to France for a convention there.  I sometimes open the twitter feed during the live telecast and there is non-stop posting throughout the show in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.  I've seen plenty of online articles on the show and there is always press coverage in the UK.  Many of the cast, in particular the actresses that play Betty and Veronica get a number of magazine covers in Mexico and other countries so there does seem to be a decent amount of interest in the show beyond the US..

That's GREAT to hear.  Awesome!

16 hours ago, TheycallmeArchie said:

Those are great books that have been posted on this page, throughout the whole thread actually. It's fun to see the different covers and how nice these comics really are. I think Archie gets forgotten or unnoticed by a lot of collectors. Which is probably good for those of us who collect them as there is less competition but it would be nice to see people think of Pep 22 in the same way as Action 1 or Detective 27. There are a lot fewer known Pep 22's out there than the other 2 comics. There are 17 universal and 10 restored Pep 22's. There's a total of 70 Action 1's and 68 Detective 27's. That's a pretty big difference. Does anybody here think that because there are fewer Archie collectors and not a lot of new Archie readers (as far as I can tell from their current sales) that the demand/price will eventually drop as people won't want to buy or aren't interested in the golden age comics? Sorry to go off topic but am just curious.

I agree that Pep 22 is a huge key but not even in the same hemisphere as Action 1 or Detective 27. Nothing even close to ground breaking. Archie is a beloved character much like Mickey Mouse but it wasn’t That long ago when very few people even wanted them. 

14 hours ago, gadzukes said:

That's GREAT to hear.  Awesome!

I've been surprised at the fan attention the show receives.  Since I like the show, I do pay attention to what's posted online about it.  It doesn't get media attention on the scale of shows like the Walking Dead but the main actors on the show have upwards of 15 million followers each on instagram.  Considering that they were previously unknowns, that's a decent size audience.  Granted a lot of their audience may not be overly aware of the comic books but it's a big enough audience to allow the "Archie brand" to survive for another generation.  Whenever Lili  Reinhart or Cami Mendes (Betty & Veronica) post photos, they usually get several million likes and thousands of comments.  It used to be anything posted online about Archie other than on these boards was barely noticed.  Several of the entertainment websites, such as Entertainment Weekly provide detailed episode recaps within hours after each episode.  

It'll probably run its course in another couple of years but for now, it's a big boon for the company.   The new Sabrina series on Netflix has proven to be popular and they're developing a Katy Keene series as well so they are getting some more mileage out of the characters.

Here's a typical post from Cami Mendes. 

cami_mendes.jpg

33 minutes ago, lotemo said:

I've been surprised at the fan attention the show receives.  Since I like the show, I do pay attention to what's posted online about it.  It doesn't get media attention on the scale of shows like the Walking Dead but the main actors on the show have upwards of 15 million followers each on instagram.  Considering that they were previously unknowns, that's a decent size audience.  Granted a lot of their audience may not be overly aware of the comic books but it's a big enough audience to allow the "Archie brand" to survive for another generation.  Whenever Lili  Reinhart or Cami Mendes (Betty & Veronica) post photos, they usually get several million likes and thousands of comments.  It used to be anything posted online about Archie other than on these boards was barely noticed.  Several of the entertainment websites, such as Entertainment Weekly provide detailed episode recaps within hours after each episode.  

It'll probably run its course in another couple of years but for now, it's a big boon for the company.   The new Sabrina series on Netflix has proven to be popular and they're developing a Katy Keene series as well so they are getting some more mileage out of the characters.

Here's a typical post from Cami Mendes. 

cami_mendes.jpg

:whatthe::golfclap:

I didn't realize the actors had that many followers. That is good news. I really hope that the show brings a new generation of fans to Archie. I've never watched the show so I can't comment on it but I have bought the Riverdale comic and it's decent. In my opinion, the current issues being published aren't a lot quantity wise and not nearly as good as they were in Archie's heyday. I still enjoy going back and rereading comics from the 40's to the 60's. They are classics!

6 hours ago, BanjerD said:

Picked up this lot in Japan.  Somebody was a little overzealous with the shop's stamp, but I think it gives the books character. I got a lot of United Comics (Fritzi Ritz and Peanuts) with the same stamping.

i-img1024x768-1549438853ixrrub333553.jpg

IMG_3066.JPG

IMG_5703.JPG

That's cool.  It's like a Passport stamp showing the comics have been around the world.

7 hours ago, TheycallmeArchie said:

Here's my Archie #1. I bought this back in the mid-eighties when I was a teenager. I don't remember if the ad was in the Comic's Buyers Guide or Comic Collectors magazine but there was an ad by someone advertising he had older Archie's for sale. I answered his ad, he sent me a price list of what he had for sale, I bought some Archie series comics that I needed and built a good relationship with him. After a while he asked me if I would be interested in an Archie #1. I said of course and he told me about it and the price. Being a teenager, the seller wanted my Dad's permission to buy such an expensive comic. I convinced my Dad that I had to have this comic and he wrote a letter to the seller saying it was OK. I then proceeded to pay the seller in 12 equal, monthly payments until I paid for the book. I had a paper route and mowed lawns to earn money. I hate raking leaves and even did some of that. I never shoveled snow though. After I submitted the last payment, the comic came in the mail and I was very excited. I hadn't read any Archie comics from that time period before and was surprised to see the different art style, story style, and the other stories that were in there (Cubby and Bumbee). The seller told me this comic was used for the Archie #1 story that was reprinted in the Michael Uslan Best of Archie book that was published in 1980. His name is listed in the acknowledgements so I believe him. He also wrote the letter I posted earlier about the Archie Annual #1.

It was a pretty big risk for a 16 year old. There was no internet, no eBay, no way to know if this guy was going to send me the comic after I paid for it. I just believed that I would get it because why would someone cheat a kid? I bought some more comics from him and we are still in contact today. I stayed at his house when I went to the San Diego comic convention in 2003 and he's been to my house a few times. I consider him a good friend and am forever grateful for the comics he's sold me. 

It's a 3.0 with cover detached and cream to off white pages. I had this graded in 2003 when I went to San Diego. I submitted it at the show and was surprised when it came back with a detached cover. I don't remember it having a detached cover when I submitted it. It either became detached in transit from me to them or it happened when they had it. I'll never know as I didn't take any pictures of it before it was submitted. It probably wouldn't have mattered anyway since as you can see from my previous posts and this one, I'm a horrible picture taker. I did argue with them about what they were going to charge me. I said that it wasn't worth the value they said it was because of the detached cover. They relented and charged me the regular grading fee, whatever it was at that time.

I haven't had anything graded since because of that. I've bought graded comics but haven't taken the plunge back in myself yet. This year I'm going to though. I'm going to take some comics to C2E2 and get them graded on site. No mailing, no wait, hopefully it will be a smooth process and I'll get some good grades. (My friend never had a 2-7 that he could sell to me. If anybody has any for sale.....)

DSCN1147.JPG

Great Comic!  Really love your story about it.

I LOVE finding these Australian Archies where they've switched out one character for another.

Notice Reggie's clothes..... with the bowtie and sweater it looks like he's been in Archie's closet.

It's kind of like we're watching Archie, "Archie, Into the Archieverse"

a1.jpg

a1.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

17 minutes ago, asm_collector66 said:

Here are my early Archie’s 1-8 and 50 (I’m trying to stick as close to Todd’s original thread title as possible 🤪)

I have purchased 9 and it’s on the way. 10 is last one to get in the run. 

91F6533F-FDAF-4F28-86B2-0268B6B5E74B.jpeg

DC5C93A6-F78A-4CA7-984F-CAE46E642B02.jpeg

67B11C59-A95E-4355-B38A-27985F00E3A8.jpeg

Wow, we haven't had a post like this in quite a while!

That #2 is SWEET.  I recognize the #1 hm.  And that number 3.... it's got to be the best presenting 2.5 I've ever seen.

14 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Wow, we haven't had a post like this in quite a while!

That #2 is SWEET.  I recognize the #1 hm.  And that number 3.... it's got to be the best presenting 2.5 I've ever seen.

Yes, that 1 should look familiar.  Thank you so much my friend! 

That 3 is definitely a head scratcher for sure.  It looks like a 5-6 but that staining is the problem.  May see if I can take that out professionally.  Haven't made up my mind.  And the pages aren't completely brittle - there are sections at the lower spine that are but the rest of the book of very supple.  

Number 2 was my biggest shock in grade.  I had it pegged as a 4-4.5.  Very glad where it graded.  It's the 4th highest on the census (6.5,7.0,8.0 are higher).  

I didn't know 5 had any conservation done to it when I sent it in - I looked that book over thoroughly and couldn't tell.  It was done by a professional and it is very slight.  I still can't see the work done to it in the slab.  

On 3/4/2019 at 12:42 AM, gadzukes said:

Great Comic!  Really love your story about it.

Thanks! I got really lucky when I met him and if I didn't meet him, I wouldn't have nearly as many comics from that time frame as I do. I love telling the story and am glad I was able to share it with fellow Archie collectors.

Archie had their characters attend a few conventions, plus they did a couple cover gags featuring convention visits:

Spoilers to keep from polluting this pure GA thread:

Spoiler

4.jpg.d353939e335f5435fcf50e0882482586.jpg

3.jpg.4212f50f7ed9666414667ad5545e8be4.jpg

And they liked the gag on the cover of that Giant Series #601 so much, they used it three more times!

5.jpg.e813c1f0f305bfd2486d4758766b29d0.jpg

6.jpg.bad942cba7ee1292e19f47cec02d4abb.jpg

7.jpg.b72c2cfb8ad80508452b49af602d64ab.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster