• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2019 at 4:24 PM, TheycallmeArchie said:

I went to C2E2 last weekend and had some comics graded onsite. It was worth paying a bit more to get them back right away and not have to worry about shipping, insurance, how long it takes to get back, etc. I submitted a few that I already posted raw pictures of and was happy with the results. Gadzukes was right on with the grade he thought for Archie 50. Archie 10 and Annual 1 were higher than I thought they were going to be. 

1472476149_DSCN1718(2).thumb.JPG.aa90b710e7a50d53288f3fff9dde64f3.JPG429768391_DSCN1723(2).thumb.JPG.651a0bff92dc4b6291b88449b1bf4b18.JPG

DSCN1714.thumb.JPG.73b3da935c3193d63064c1b75a61bfb8.JPG

If I may, I want to give a shout out to John Robinson and his staff at Graham Crackers Comics. 11 stores in the Chicago land area. I had a great time hanging out with them and their stores are awesome! If you're in the area, stop by, they'll take care of you!

Wow. That's a great Annual #1. Only seen one higher graded copy. :golfclap:

1 hour ago, kaculler said:

Theycallmearchie and I have been friends for a number of years and usually go to the Chicago conventions together.  I've collected Archies (and other comics) since the late 1970s.  We each need around 50 Archie comics featuring the main cast, though he has the edge due to his early Peps.  

I used to work in a comic book store, though we didn't get many early Archies in collections.  

Here are the first four Jughead issues from my collection, which I picked up about 25 years ago.

jughead 1.jpg

jughead 2.jpg

jughead 3.jpg

jughead 4.jpg

I don't know what he's talking about. I've never met this guy in my life. :bigsmile:

5 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Archie 47 has 2 great Bob Montana pin-ups.  One of V & one of B.  If they would have used one of the pin-ups for the cover, Archie 47 would have easily been as sought after as Archie 50.

Here's a recreation I did of 47 using the Veronica pin-up.  I'm going to make the Betty one too.

a1.jpg

You did a great job!  I look forward to the Betty version.

Has the Archie 50 value plateaued? 

There was an CGC 3.5 on eBay for $1210 that got no bids
Its been relisted on eBay right now, still for $1210 and has no bids so far...(and only 5 watchers)

There is what looks like maybe a 3.0 raw in auction right now, sitting around $660 with 4 hours left

A recent CGC 4.0 sold for under $1k, due to a pretty unappealing huge stamp across the cover image. 

Is the CGC 4.0 sale (recorded in GPA) driving down prices or stalling people from bidding (since some people look at GPA but if you didnt look at the particular CGC 4.0 you would just think that the market on the CGC 4.0 had dropped. 

Last month a 3.5 sold for $1450 (in GPA), but now another 3.5 (I know not all 3.5s are created equally, but this one seems fine for the grade) cant sniff a bid more than $200 (17%) under last GPA?  Is the existence of the 4.0 on GPA impacting it? 

Thoughts?

On 2/25/2019 at 7:01 PM, TheycallmeArchie said:

Those are great books that have been posted on this page, throughout the whole thread actually. It's fun to see the different covers and how nice these comics really are. I think Archie gets forgotten or unnoticed by a lot of collectors. Which is probably good for those of us who collect them as there is less competition but it would be nice to see people think of Pep 22 in the same way as Action 1 or Detective 27. There are a lot fewer known Pep 22's out there than the other 2 comics. There are 17 universal and 10 restored Pep 22's. There's a total of 70 Action 1's and 68 Detective 27's. That's a pretty big difference. Does anybody here think that because there are fewer Archie collectors and not a lot of new Archie readers (as far as I can tell from their current sales) that the demand/price will eventually drop as people won't want to buy or aren't interested in the golden age comics? Sorry to go off topic but am just curious.

Pep 22 has always been a famously tough book and a GA key.  That Archie's not on the cover has held it back, I think.  Because the hobby has always been superhero oriented, I think there's a ceiling on how much interest there is likely to ever be in collecting early Archies or any other non-hero books compared with Superman/Batman/Captain America in particular.  Some exceptions, of course, like Suspense 3.   

On 4/4/2019 at 11:57 PM, BanjerD said:

I guess as an eBay seller, if you live by the BIN, you sometimes die by the BIN.  Seems crazy that they wouldn't have researched the book a little more.  But maybe they couldn't imagine that any Archie comic would sell for a lot.