• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

It'll go for 30-35. If I had the $ I'd buy it.

Are we talking about the CBCS Pep 22 with extensive resto? Is this an IGB book? hm

This is an not a IGB. old school resto because of the re gloss... very old shoool resto 1990's style.

It was probbaly a 1.5 2.0 prior. No major pieces added or grafted.

A voldy restored Archie 1 3.5 Slight/Moderate sold recently on ebay for $15,477.

There were some piece's added to cover and interior, color touch, staples cleaned, a page was trimmed, and a moderate amount of tape to cover and interior.

That seems like a pretty strong price for that much resto.

But maybe A1 is heating up again? Will the Riverdale show affect prices on this?

I think so. A 1.8 blue sold at auction at comicconect in april 2016 for 25,500$

The CW Archie series That starts will certainly garner more following and interest for this Archie 1

presents alot higher since the cover is detached would have gotten a 5.0 with cover

Im thinking 35k to 40k for this cgc blue 3.0 blue label

wouldnt be surprised that it goes 45k.

super rare book and iconic. 75th anniversary also

anything under 25k is a major steal. 30k a bargain

So, what did it sell for?

sold for a nice bargain 29388$ 30k since the cw series will bring archie back on the map!

As i predicted

$30k seems reasonable to me. Loose covers tend to depress prices realized a tad.

Are we talking about the CBCS Pep 22 with extensive resto? Is this an IGB book? hm

This is an not a IGB. old school resto because of the re gloss... very old shoool resto 1990's style.

If it was IGB it would be a 9.6 ?

You can see that there is a pencil mark ok the i of comics

Also the spine wear is still evident and IGB wouldnt.

An honest old school resto job. Well done. Definetly not An IGB

Also this is not a common hulk 1 made into a 9.6 but the rarest top ten golden age book

of Archie that kid named chick lol

Only 12 unrestored cgc and 11 resto. A total of 23 books!! compared to the 66 copies of action comics 1!!!

A pep 9.0 extensive sold for 30k with a logo from a a pep 30. This is on has upgrade potential via Matt nelson at ccs most likely. So a strong 7.0. An extensive 5.5 just sold for 21 250$..

This 7.0 can be upgraded since it has dirt ,pencil mark on cover and color breaking creases.

Also the CW archie series should help give a good boost to previous sales.

Also this is not a common hulk 1 made into a 9.6 but the rarest top ten golden age book

Only 12 unrestored cgc and 11 resto. A total of 23 books!! compared to the 66 copies of action comics 1!!!

A pep 9.0 extensive sold for 30k with a logo from a a pep 30. This is on has upgrade potential via Matt nelson at ccs most likely. So a strong 7.0. An extensive 5.5 just sold for 21 250$..

This 7.0 can be upgraded since it has dirt ,pencil mark on cover and color breaking creases.

Well the Pep #22 CBCS copy sold for $20,250. Last year this same copy sold at CC for a little more than $23k.. Just goes to show that movies, tv shows, etc have no impact on GA keys, only SA and newer IMO.

Well the Pep #22 CBCS copy sold for $20,250. Last year this same copy sold at CC for a little more than $23k.. Just goes to show that movies, tv shows, etc have no impact on GA keys, only SA and newer IMO.

I think All Star 8 was seriously affected by the announcement of WW being in the Superman/Batman movie. Its gone crazy and now there are a boat load on the market.

I think All Star 8 was seriously affected by the announcement of WW being in the Superman/Batman movie. Its gone crazy and now there are a boat load on the market.

I think wonder woman was impacted by all the hoarders of all star 8, Wonder Woman 1 and sensation 1. Big dealers and smart high end collectors have cornered the market on those books and you gotta pay up to play. Can't be done with silver or later but GA is ripe for hoarders with decent bankrolls. :sumo:

A few thoughts ...

1) this book went cheap. If I had the cash, I would have paid more in a heartbeat, but I have way too many kids. It did have upgrade potential, which is why I liked it. Sometimes it just comes down to the time of year, potential buyers' outlook, etc. Books can have an off day.

2) I disagree that movies/TV don't affect GA pricing. I have seen GA titles heat up around movie releases, even if it's dealer manipulation, it still happens.

3) GA Archie is a different story ... I realize this might be a point of contention and let me remind everyone that I'm sitting on 10,000+ Archie/MLJ comics so I wish I was wrong ... I don't think the CW is going to do much for the classic Archie market. I think those who love Archie for the art, stories and nostalgia of the 40's, 50's and so on are not the people who will love Archie for the new show. They are sure as ____ not fans of the MLJ WWII/Nazi/Bondage artwork. By all accounts, Riverdale will be super modern, edgy where it counts (drugs, sex, sexuality, etc), one-tree hill meets glee/twilight/Dawson's creek/gossip girls/90210/fill in the blank. This is not the Americana that resonates with GA Archie collectors. At best we can hope that some middle-aged money manager walks by the TV as their pre-teen/teen is watching the show and feels inspired to rebuild a childhood Archie collection. Sorry for the glib outlook guys, but when we are done buying each others books a decade from now, I think it's over.

Edited by GoldenPRGuy

3) GA Archie is a different story ... I realize this might be a point of contention and let me remind everyone that I'm sitting on 10,000+ Archie/MLJ comics so I wish I was wrong ... I don't think the CW is going to do much for the classic Archie market. I think those who love Archie for the art, stories and nostalgia of the 40's, 50's and so on are not the people who will love Archie for the new show. They are sure as ____ not fans of the MLJ WWII/Nazi/Bondage artwork. By all accounts, Riverdale will be super modern, edgy where it counts (drugs, sex, sexuality, etc), one-tree hill meets glee/twilight/Dawson's creek/gossip girls/90210/fill in the blank. This is not the Americana that resonates with GA Archie collectors. At best we can hope that some middle-aged money manager walks by the TV as their pre-teen/teen is watching the show and feels inspired to rebuild a childhood Archie collection. Sorry for the glib outlook guys, but when we are done buying each others books a decade from now, I think it's over.

Andrew are you trying to pop the Archie bubble? :baiting:

Edited by gadzukes

Maybe hm

No Todd, not at all. I love seeing Archie prices climb. The titles have really come into their own value-wise and it's great to see people finding more and more special attributes in various issues to help drive interest and price (much like the headlight cover conversation that just took place in this thread). I guess sometimes I just question where it is heading. I'd be curious to know, really, how many GA Archie collectors there are out there. On the entertainment front, super hero movies are reimagined and re-released all the time, each with better special effects to capture the imagination of all generations, and all based on the story lines that were there in the beginning. I just don't think the CW program is trying to align with the classic Archie. There is likely a whole generation of people who are buying the new Archie, B&V and Jughead titles religiously and are IN LOVE with them, but will never identify with a classic Archie book. I'd love to find a way to re-energize that market. Heck, I love to see some MLJ movies made. Would be great to open the younger generation to super heroes outside Marvel.

Archie has been popular with younger reads and females for 75 years. Every generation rediscovers it. There are people out there who can say their grandparents and parents read it, they read it, their kids read it, and,currently their grandchildren are reading it.

It is virtually the only comic book still sold widely outside comic specialty shops, and even in grocery stores.

Edited by bluechip

A few thoughts ...

1) this book went cheap. If I had the cash, I would have paid more in a heartbeat, but I have way too many kids. It did have upgrade potential, which is why I liked it. Sometimes it just comes down to the time of year, potential buyers' outlook, etc. Books can have an off day.

Even though it wasn't an IGB book, I wonder whether the fallout from their efforts has cast a pall over extensively restored books in CBCS slabs? Someone buying such a book might wonder whether they are getting restoration so extensive that the book wouldn't have been gradeable by CGC.

Apparently that isn't true of this book, but since, so far as I know, no list of the books that IGB has worked on exists, it's something that might be in bidders' minds.

No idea whether this is what held the bidding down -- rather than one of the other plausible reasons -- but it did occur to me.

I think wonder woman was impacted by all the hoarders of all star 8, Wonder Woman 1 and sensation 1. Big dealers and smart high end collectors have cornered the market on those books and you gotta pay up to play. Can't be done with silver or later but GA is ripe for hoarders with decent bankrolls. :sumo:

Yup... Super cheap. Most likely the IGB stigma. The seller most likely didnt know about this since he could have just gotten CGC. The buyer must be super happy and most likely will get it regraded by CGC.

Well Archie 1 is seeing a boost. Pep 22 to me is a whole lot more special. So rare and the first apperance.

I agree. big dealers when they start buying books and hoarding them thats when books start going up.

A complete raw Archie 1 just ended on ebay. By my estimation it was a 1.5 (although the seller listed it as a 2.5)

It ended at $17,109. I bid $11,100 with 8 seconds left, but it wouldn't even take my bid because 2 other bidders went over $17,000.

I thought I was going to snag a nice deal, but got crushed.

Any boardies get this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122294673179?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true

There's a 4.0 ending in 7 days. It'll be interesting to see where it ends up. It has slightly brittle pages so that will affect it. It's a Voldy so I'm not going to link it.

I was going to bid about 12,000 and got shut out as quickly as you did. Agree with your grade assessment, Todd... maybe a 2.0, tops. Still a decent final price.

Watching the other as well.

Interestingly no one bid anything on the rest of Jim's auctions, except the 9 which closes soon.

I've pretty much given up buying high-dollar books raw.

There's always the question (not just on this particular book, but generally): Why didn't this guy have the book graded? Is it overgraded? Does it have undisclosed resto? Is it missing the cf?

I guess I'm not willing to accept the tradeoff between the possibility of getting a bargain and the possibility of getting seriously hosed.

In any event, I hope this one works out for the buyer.

Edited to add: I'm referring here mainly to buying raws on eBay. I'm still willing to shell out for raw books sold by dealers or collectors that I know.

Edited by Sqeggs

I've pretty much given up buying high-dollar books raw.

There's always the question (not just on this particular book, but generally): Why didn't this guy have the book graded? Is it overgraded? Does it have undisclosed resto? Is it missing the cf?

I guess I'm not willing to accept the tradeoff between the possibility of getting a bargain and the possibility of getting seriously hosed.

In any event, I hope this one works out for the buyer.

Edited to add: I'm referring here mainly to buying raws on eBay. I'm still willing to shell out for raw books sold by dealers or collectors that I know.

Agree Tony.

Definitely a gamble on 4 figure books. Have had some great and quite bad experiences.

I would not buy a raw 5 figure book off an unknown seller on eBay.

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

A complete raw Archie 1 just ended on ebay. By my estimation it was a 1.5 (although the seller listed it as a 2.5)

It ended at $17,109. I bid $11,100 with 8 seconds left, but it wouldn't even take my bid because 2 other bidders went over $17,000.

I thought I was going to snag a nice deal, but got crushed.

Any boardies get this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122294673179?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true

There's a 4.0 ending in 7 days. It'll be interesting to see where it ends up. It has slightly brittle pages so that will affect it. It's a Voldy so I'm not going to link it.

So the Voldy 4.0 ended at $17,650. That shows you what "Slightly Brittle" pages can do to the value. The cover was really nice though so I thought it might go higher.