• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

Maybe hm

No Todd, not at all. I love seeing Archie prices climb. The titles have really come into their own value-wise and it's great to see people finding more and more special attributes in various issues to help drive interest and price (much like the headlight cover conversation that just took place in this thread). I guess sometimes I just question where it is heading. I'd be curious to know, really, how many GA Archie collectors there are out there. On the entertainment front, super hero movies are reimagined and re-released all the time, each with better special effects to capture the imagination of all generations, and all based on the story lines that were there in the beginning. I just don't think the CW program is trying to align with the classic Archie. There is likely a whole generation of people who are buying the new Archie, B&V and Jughead titles religiously and are IN LOVE with them, but will never identify with a classic Archie book. I'd love to find a way to re-energize that market. Heck, I love to see some MLJ movies made. Would be great to open the younger generation to super heroes outside Marvel.

I wouldn't worry for this very reason. Anything Modern Archie is hot, but there isn't much scarcity built into it other than the odd variant, or much history for that matter. The curious collectors among readers -- these always exist -- will be tempted to go back in time.

This is the case with vintage baseball cards, which have a growing number of young collectors bored with Modern and its gimmicks. Vintage cards are "classic," corny and hokey for the young 'uns, and that's part of the charm.

Also, btw, Riverdale is fast fostering legions of fanatics... the kind that fawn over their favorite actors/actresses (doesn't hurt that they are all very good looking lol) and need to know everything about them + even mimic their fashion in the show. Would look to some of these going down the classic comics path, if they are true fans ;)

Might be a "deal to be had" with the Archie 1 7.0 moderate restored on ebay right now.  $12,000 seems like a pretty good price.   I'd be VERY tempted if I had the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Archie-Comics-1-Restored-CGC-Graded-7-0-RARE-Vintage-Golden-Age-1942-MLJ-/172795522148?hash=item283b6a6c64:g:JAEAAOSwjiFZYrgz

Edited by gadzukes

18 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Might be a "deal to be had" with the Archie 1 7.0 moderate restored on ebay right now.  $12,000 seems like a pretty good price.   I'd be VERY tempted if I had the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Archie-Comics-1-Restored-CGC-Graded-7-0-RARE-Vintage-Golden-Age-1942-MLJ-/172795522148?hash=item283b6a6c64:g:JAEAAOSwjiFZYrgz

Wish the pictures were better

10 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

What happened with that 8.0 on HA that sold at $5k but the buyer didn't pay and they had it as a BIN for $5k for a few days after?

On 9/28/2017 at 10:15 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

What happened with that 8.0 on HA that sold at $5k but the buyer didn't pay and they had it as a BIN for $5k for a few days after?

That same book will be up for auction on Heritage in Feb. 2018.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/archie-comics-50-archie-1951-cgc-vf-80-off-white-pages/p/7177-11001.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=SearchResults-120115

It also was the only CGC graded copy of Archie 50 in 2005.  It sold for $138 at auction then.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/archie-50-archie-1951-cgc-vf-80-off-white-pages-bob-montana-cover-this-is-currently-the-only-cgc-graded-copy-of-this/a/15032-17041.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Same CGC serial # on all three auctions.

7 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

Wow! You are an impressive Archie 50 historian sir. (thumbsu

5 minutes ago, Changer said:

Archie 1 that is 

Congrats!   Looks legit to me.  Sold in Heritage a few years back.  They said it was an original owner copy, so definitely a great copy to have.  I was just about to make an offer on eBay and as I clicked "submit offer" it said "listing has ended!"