• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maus.

14 posts in this topic

So I'm reading a magazine from 1974 called Comix Book,, co-published by Kitchen Sink and Marvel, and to my surprise there is a short story by Art Spieglman called Maus in issue #2. I always thought Maus originated in Raw magazine in the early 1980s, but here is an episode a half dozen years earlier.

Overstreet doesn't mention it in the listing of the book, nor does wiki when talking about Maus.

Anyone know anything about this?

Maus first appeared in the underground comic Funny Animals in 1972. There is a copy for sale in the June ComicLink auction.

I wonder if this is a reprint of that. Comix Book was published in 1974 but the artwork is copyright 1972.

Maus first appeared in the underground comic Funny Animals in 1972. There is a copy for sale in the June ComicLink auction.

I wonder if this is a reprint of that. Comix Book was published in 1974 but the artwork is copyright 1972.

According to GCD - it does reprint the Funny Aminals (Apex Novelties, 1972 series) #1. - http://www.comics.org/issue/329496/

Here's a copy of Comix Book #2 on Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comix-Book-2-Jan-1975-Kitchen-Sink-Marvel-co-production-Spiegelman-Maus-/281058902280 with some interior story pics.

Spiegelman published bits and pieces during the 1970s comix movement, but it didn't get picked up and published in collected format until 1986--want to talk about a watershed year, eh? After that, Maus II was created and published in 1991-92, which then led to his subsequent awarding of the Pulitzer Prize.

That is correct... the Maus story from Funny Aminals [sic] 1972 was reprinted multiple times, incl. Comix Book 2, Breakdowns, and the Apex Novelties treasury. This story was then re-drawn as part of the larger work that appeared in RAW magazine.

I argued in the 2010 Fogel Supplement that the 2nd appearance of Maus is Short Order Comix #1 1974 (Prisoner from Hell Planet), but it diverges strongly from the beast fable. However, this story is re-printed in full as part of the larger work and represents the first copyright given to the work (1974).

IMHO both represent Spiegelman working through different styles to best decide how to represent his father's story.