• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Case Indentations

295 posts in this topic

Heymikesays,

I recently submitted 10 books to CGC at the ECCC, 5 silver age, 2 bronze age and 3 moderns. They all came back at different times. The first 7 to return all had that similar indentation as yours and the 3 moderns did not. I emailed CGC to ask them about it after the first one came back and this was their response,

"That is a by-product of the injection molds used to manufacture our inner wells and is more cosmetic than anything. That will not affect your book in any way."

since all of mine were coming back that way I assumed that there was no way around it, but then when the final three books arrived without it, I wondered if I should contact them again about re-slabbing, but I haven't yet. I'm really interested to hear how it goes for you, please keep us posted.

They can say whatever they want but the truth is that if you want to sell the book -- and even if you don't intend to now, at some point you probably will -- you are going to get static from buyers or have to sell for a lower price.

This is clearly a defect and they should make it right. If people accept it, they have no incentive to fix it.

No luck via phone the other day. I sent an e-mail and this is the response I received this morning. "That is in the inner well and is caused by the process in which the inner wells are made. It is normal and will occur on occasion and is in our design parameters"

I'm kind of surprised they mentioned this is in their 'design parameters' it sort of subjects it to certain scrutiny when more and more of these get pushed out. :facepalm:

Of course one person won't make a difference. I would need support from everybody else on the boards to contact CGC and make this annoyance go away if ever possible before it becomes the next standard. Any help is appreciated

If CGC says its inner wells are manufactured in such a way that its normal in there design parameters to have flaws such as this. It should be posted on there web site as informational. That way sellers can refer customers to the CGC web site to explain the flaws in the case. Otherwise its becomes the seller of the CGC product as the one who takes on the customer service with slab design flaws. I just had an order canceled because the buyer would not pay for the book if it has what he said "rainbow oil in the case", which the book did have.

If CGC says its inner wells are manufactured in such a way that its normal in there design parameters to have flaws such as this. It should be posted on there web site as informational. That way sellers can refer customers to the CGC web site to explain the flaws in the case. Otherwise its becomes the seller of the CGC product as the one who takes on the customer service with slab design flaws. I just had an order canceled because the buyer would not pay for the book if it has what he said "rainbow oil in the case", which the book did have.

PRECISELY! can we further pursue this thread with all potential complications that everyone is having so we can voice our thoughts collectively?

rainbow oil

back cover indentations

small 'flakes' inside the case

I am trying to justify how certain conditions warrant a compensatory cause for recasing whereas the abovementioned ones do not? Thank you everyone for your input.

Edited by heymikesays

I have posted my complaints in several journals on this board and I have pictures of the backs of all of my books with the indentation problem. I've only ever sent 10 books to CGC and 7 of them have this issue and all of them are the key books in my collection. I don't want to send them back for re-casing unless CGC is going to pay for it and guarantee that they won't have the indent next time. Which from the responses we've gotten they won't do. With the potential damage and loss from shipping I definitely don't want to send them back and forth across the country unless the issue is guaranteed to be fixed.

Let me know any way I can help.

I don't think buyers will be mollified by whatever CGC puts on its site. If the buyer doesn't like the look of the slab, they are going to send the book back -- or try to. Particularly for common books, slabs with the indentation problem are going to be tough sells.

Personally, I'm not really bothered by the "oil in the case" problem. Apparently it can be caused by the inner and outer wells coming into contact. On that one, you may be able to convince the buyer that the problem isn't caused by oil, water, or anything else having somehow gotten into the slab, which is often someone's reaction when they first see it.

still no luck. a lot of run around and people who don't quite know how to respond to my questions other than what has already been stated. In other words, at this point nothing can be done until the company gets a massive complaint through BBB or whatever bodily organization that asserts their quality improvement.

still no luck. a lot of run around and people who don't quite know how to respond to my questions other than what has already been stated. In other words, at this point nothing can be done until the company gets a massive complaint through BBB or whatever bodily organization that asserts their quality improvement.

This is a prime example of why it is always good to have more than one legitimate company.

Did you demand the book be re-holdered? I'd simply demand it and if told no than ask to speak to the supervisor. Then just hold until you get one and keep going up the latter.

The book does not have the eye appeal it should and will make it detrimental when it comes time to sell. I would demand a new holder or a full refund.

I have since sold it to a local buyer who is going through the reholder process (aka more money for cgc). As much as I would have loved to have a long debate/argument over the phone with CGC, I have since moved on and hope my next shipment in doesn't incur the same. (keeping all this recorded on this post) we'll see how it goes but I suppose this is the thread for everyone to voice similar concerns as it is still fresh to history.

Is the unsightly indentation problem something new or has it been occasionally occurring since the beginning?

I have owned several hundred CGC books over the years and have never seen it in hand.

Seeing this on nearly every cgc book slabbed in 2012+. Has been hurting sales at LCS and online. Looks ugly but as a collector I don't have any problem with it as long as there's no long term detriment to the book. As a seller I don't like it and if buying to sell I will look for better examples if available. Might be why many auction listings only show fc scans.

As long as there are no long term effects to the book I'm ok with it as the years pass it will become commonplace. However it may spawn a new market for slabs without them kind of like the old labels.

Heymikesays,

I recently submitted 10 books to CGC at the ECCC, 5 silver age, 2 bronze age and 3 moderns. They all came back at different times. The first 7 to return all had that similar indentation as yours and the 3 moderns did not. I emailed CGC to ask them about it after the first one came back and this was their response,

"That is a by-product of the injection molds used to manufacture our inner wells and is more cosmetic than anything. That will not affect your book in any way."

since all of mine were coming back that way I assumed that there was no way around it, but then when the final three books arrived without it, I wondered if I should contact them again about re-slabbing, but I haven't yet. I'm really interested to hear how it goes for you, please keep us posted.

I have cracked out a few slabs that have this problem. If you run your finger over the area in question it is not smooth like the rest of the inner well.

I just talked to Andrew who was a nice guy and he assured me that this is just an issue with the inner well plastic and does NOT affect the book.

I trust that he is correct.

joeypost,

did you notice any damage to the back cover of the book that corresponded with the case indent?

I cracked a book that had this inner well issue - it was only on the inner well, there was no damage to the book.

joeypost,

did you notice any damage to the back cover of the book that corresponded with the case indent?

I cracked a book that had this inner well issue - it was only on the inner well, there was no damage to the book.

The books I have cracked out had no damage. Only concern I would have is in the very long term. If a surface that has an imperfection is pressed against the cover of a comic for long enough it will create an indentation on the book.

Think cover flaps that are tucked back into the bag against the comic or stickers on covers that leave an impression over time due to improper storage.