• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Case Indentations

295 posts in this topic

joeypost,

did you notice any damage to the back cover of the book that corresponded with the case indent?

I cracked a book that had this inner well issue - it was only on the inner well, there was no damage to the book.

The books I have cracked out had no damage. Only concern I would have is in the very long term. If a surface that has an imperfection is pressed against the cover of a comic for long enough it will create an indentation on the book.

Think cover flaps that are tucked back into the bag against the comic or stickers on covers that leave an impression over time due to improper storage.

I'd have the same concern. After years in the holder, and depending how the slab is stored, there could be an impression made by this phenomenon. Like I said earlier, I certainly hope this is NOT the new normal because it sure doesn't look normal.

I just checked some of my newer books and I see these indentions on all of them.

Interesting that it is only on the back of the inner well, the front seems fine. Some of the indentions are larger, spread out more, and some more concentrated.

However, IMO, they appear harmless . I don't see them forming lasting impressions.

I think SCS is a far worse threat to our comics in slabs. The often used wedge in the inner well puts pressure on the comics and nobody stresses about them. I just don't see cause for concern, sorry.

I just received 3 books back. 2 of the 3 I know (I don't recall checking the other) had a bullseye pattern on the back inner well. Basically, one circle was as big in diameter as almost the entire case and the other was about 2-3" in diameter.

Here is a picture of a recent inner well I cracked out. This one is particularly bad as it has deep ripples and even raised areas that could indent the comic.

inner_well_zpse84e6ecb.jpg

Oh my. Between this & warped slabs, I'm having second thoughts about on-site grading at WWChicago this year.

Not all the slabs have this. It is far and few between, but it does show up.

Oh my. Between this & warped slabs, I'm having second thoughts about on-site grading at WWChicago this year.

Joey: let's say a comic is stored with that warping for a long time. Do you feel that the defects could be pressed out easily?

Joey: let's say a comic is stored with that warping for a long time. Do you feel that the defects could be pressed out easily?

Quite easily, if it even made an indentation. If you look at the actual image you will notice some areas that have "pock" marks. Some of these are raised like little pimples and those could put small indents into the book over time similar to the book getting poked with a pencil point.

Wow. I see the 'pock' marks. If the book moves around inside, there goes some scratches on your F/B cover. :(

Is there no way to petition this quality control?

The raised "pocks" are not sharp. They are like little tiny beads of round plastic. It would put a dent in the book, but I doubt it would scratch it.

I will be at CGC on Friday and will talk to whoever is there (and not at SDCC) about it.

Is it a problem with how the inner wells are made or are the indentations being caused somehow during the process of sealing the slab? hm

I don't see it on a lot of books, and when I do it is varying degrees of indents and waves leading me to believe it is during the sealing process. But I could be completely wrong.

The NEVER used to happen on my CGC Submissions. Now it does.

In my opinion CGC needs to replace their inner well machine or do something to fix it IMMEDIATELY.

I know one thing- We all like it better when it is FLAT rather than dimpled or a visual indentation/distraction.

2c

Do we know whether they are willing to accept returns on these? I know the official position is that it is just a cosmetic problem and the books aren't harmed by the indentations but I would think the indentations have to affect resale. As a buyer I would view the indentations the same way I would view a cracked slab.

Do we know whether they are willing to accept returns on these? I know the official position is that it is just a cosmetic problem and the books aren't harmed by the indentations but I would think the indentations have to affect resale. As a buyer I would view the indentations the same way I would view a cracked slab.

what I dont understand is how they go from never having this problem for the longest time, to "this is the way the process is done" speech I was given. (shrug)

Edited by heymikesays

After seeing this mentioned elsewhere on the boards awhile ago I looked through mine and saw a few that were submitted a couple of years ago have this as well. It is very unsightly and hopefully they fix this.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the boards but started collecting CGC books a couple years ago. The biggest buying/submission motivation for me is preservation & the aesthetic presentation. The presentation importance cannot be overstated. I just did my first big (60 book) submission. I would hate if any came back with this defect. If CGC continues to ignore the issue, has anyone considered shining a light on it via the various comic media outlets? I think it's pretty big news that a known defect has entered in to the CGC production process and they are playing it off with an apparent "meant to do that" mentality. Are they really ignoring this and blowing off customers?