• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone use the plastic comic boxes?

34 posts in this topic

This has been discussed before I think.

But does anyone actually use the plastic comic boxes? I think BCW is the only company that sells them but I read somewhere that they are water and vermin resistant.

If you use them, do you like them? how many books can they hold? are they pretty much the same as the standard boxes?

Btw, how much water can they resist is an interesting question to me. Like small flood? Or oooops I spilled a glass a water near the box.

Thanks folks.

This has been discussed before I think.

But does anyone actually use the plastic comic boxes? I think BCW is the only company that sells them but I read somewhere that they are water and vermin resistant.

If you use them, do you like them? how many books can they hold? are they pretty much the same as the standard boxes?

Btw, how much water can they resist is an interesting question to me. Like small flood? Or oooops I spilled a glass a water near the box.

Thanks folks.

Opps! I spilled my glass of water, they are the same size are regular boxes. They are much sturdier than the cardboard ones, unlimitedbags.com sells them as well.

I have a few of both the plastic and the plain cardboard.

Plastic won't fall apart with a little water, but both suck in a flood.

Neither will protect with a lot of moisture in the air.

My opinion is that they are not worth the money because you need to add other safety measures to keep your books safe regardless.

Thanks. Just wasn't sure about these boxes. Figured if they were wildly popular I'd consider. Still might buy a few to see what they are like. Plan is to switch to short boxes in the next year.

The plastic corrugated boxes from Bags Unlimited are pretty good. They are acid free, but as pointed out previously, you still have to use acid free bags as well (and I am referring to both CGC and raw comic books).

Perhaps someone with more chemical smarts than I, like namisgr, can chime in, but plastic is inherently "acid free." It does contain bad things, but advertising acid free plastic is akin to advertising sugar free potato chips.

A dealer friend of mine uses them. They don't wear and tear as bad as cardboard and when it's raining and you have to quickly move the boxes from the Van/Trailer into the building they are more water resistant.

Perhaps someone with more chemical smarts than I, like namisgr, can chime in, but plastic is inherently "acid free." It does contain bad things, but advertising acid free plastic is akin to advertising sugar free potato chips.

This is NOT always true. In fact a lot of collections (i.e. in the antiques and collectibles spectrum as a whole) have been ruined as a result. There a lot of different plastics on the market and stating that all are inherently acid free is incorrect. If this were the case companies would not make acid free bags.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

This is NOT always true. In fact a lot of collections (i.e. in the antiques and collectibles spectrum as a whole) have been ruined as a result. There a lot of different plastics on the market and stating that all are inherently acid free is incorrect. If this were the case companies would not make acid free bags.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

It is a tricky hobby, isn't it? You can't assume bags and boards are acid free, or else you put your collection in jeopardy.

After having tweaked my back twice in a couple of months moving long boxes... I am starting to understand the appeal of short boxes.

:(:eek::cry:

-slym

Agree completely. Made the transition a few years ago and won't look back.

All fair points, just finished my basement and either my 5K - 6K books will be on book shelves or in boxes in the closet under the stair case. Long boxes are a pain and I think they warp the books.

I find myself digging at the comic room pics all the time to see a set up using boxes that doesn't have the "warehouse" feel. Stuff has to be neat and organized or in a closet.

My collection as it stands at just a sneeze under 1000 books is in 5 long boxes and 3 short boxes. I haven't had an issue at all with books warping in the long boxes, however, the short boxes are where anything older than 1998 goes (except Witchblade/Fathom/Soulfire, which has two dedicated long boxes for that collection)

I use the smaller plastic boxes for my comics that are in Mylar.

I'm new here and was thinking about starting a topic on this. Let's see if people can help me here. I'm thinking about getting the longer plastic boxes for my comics. The plastic boxes are stated as acid free. Normal long comic boxes aren't acid free. At least the ones I've seen. They are good for moving and not having a lot of boxes around. But I don't want to put my Mylar/acid free boarded comics in one of those normal boxes. And I'm going to make the transition to all Mylar soon. I want a good acid free box for storage/transport and to be done with it. Of course until the comics reach their final display home. The E Gerber boxes are a bit smaller than the largest plastic box and will basically double my box load.

Plastic seems like the only option. What do you guys think?