• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a picture of something that no other board member has

159 posts in this topic

Alter-Ego_1.jpg

Alter Ego #1 from March 1961

Alter Ego was one of the crown jewel fanzines from the Golden Age Of Comic Fandom 1959-1969 at the same time that mainstream comics were in their Silver Age. Founded by the godfather of comics fandom organizers Jerry G Bails in 1961, Bails also published the first four issues, then Ronn Foss took over for issues 5 and 6, and then Roy Thomas, not yet a comics pro, took over with issue 7, finally publishing the delayed #10 in 1969, 4 years after the previous issue, due to Roy's being too busy with his editor/writing chores at Marvel. The material for the final issue of the first amateur series, #11, was finally published by Mike Friederich/Star Reach, in 1978. Issue #1 contains "Bestest League of America Part 1" strip by Roy Thomas, 1st "On the Drawing Board", "Reincarnation of the Spectre" by Thomas, "Wiles of the Wizard" and "Mercival Minerva" articles by Bails, cover by Thomas. Produced via multi-color ditto (spirit duplicator).

alterego001.jpg

(with the extra pages that only went to the first 25 copies)

oh, and...

alterego002.jpg

and...

alterego003.jpg

and...

4 (with the 1961 Alley Award winners)

alterego004.jpg

Alter_Ego_1_Biljo_Reprint.jpg

This is almost as rare as the original Alter Ego #1 - The Biljo White Reprint Version (aka 2nd Print)! In Aug 1963, Biljo White, fandom artist extraordinaire, painstakingly reproduced the "ditto masters", redoing the Roy Thomas cover, contents page, hand-lettering some titles, and adding color ditto to strips. The only way to tell the difference is the cover says "Spring 1961" in light blue color ditto, and colors in general are a bit brighter.

Comicollector_1.jpg

Another key fanzine from the golden age of comic fandom: The Comicollector #1, published by Jerry Bails in Sept 1961. The Comicollector would last 15 issues, then merge with GB Love's Rocket's Blast to become the Rocket's Blast and Comicollector or RBCC as it ultimately became known!

The-Collector_1.jpg

Published by 12 year old Bill G. Wilson in the Summer of 1967, The Collector #1 was only a digest-sized zine with 4 pages. Very modest beginnings and a crudzine for sure. But Wilson was determined to improve his craft and produced 29 issues, each one successively improving in quality and content, until The Collector was the model of excellence in fanzine production values, artwork and written material. The Collector was always one of my favorite fanzines from the 60's and it took me years to find this particular issue - I have an entire run except for issue 3*4, a double issue.

Comic_Crusader_1.jpg

Martin L. Greim's Comic Crusader #1 from March 1968. I own the entire set of Comic Crusader 1-17 plus the Comic Crusader Storybook. This was a "Holy Grail" set of zines for me, and I only latched onto issues #1, 2 and 3 in Nov of last year -- they cost me a bundle!

Comicollector_1.jpg

Another key fanzine from the golden age of comic fandom: The Comicollector #1, published by Jerry Bails in Sept 1961. The Comicollector would last 15 issues, then merge with GB Love's Rocket's Blast to become the Rocket's Blast and Comicollector or RBCC as it ultimately became known!

:o(worship)

You win. :applause:

I do, but I doubt I could put my hands on it in a hurry.

I knew you would, I nearly put "Kevin J excluded" lol

lol I put my boxes of Mags, Sci/fi /Horror and British Hard & softcover stuff into the loft first, when I moved to this house 15 years ago. That stuff is totally inaccessable without major work, I doubt I will see it again unless I sell this house :(