• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Australian Frew Phantom comics

16 posts in this topic

Not really sure where to put this as they seem to encompass the various ages.

Are they color interiors and are they original stories?

Are the stories self-contained or do they run multiple issues story arcs?

I've never actually seen a copy.

Black and white interiors.

These days they mostly contain original stories. Earlier issues (there's over 1,400 of them now) they also had reprints of newspaper strip stories.

Mostly self-contained, although I seem to recall a stroy or two being spread over two or three issues. Nothing like Marvel/DC type arcs.

Read all about 'em!

I've enjoyed them from time to time, but have never collected. There's a certain charm to them, especially the Lee Falk originals. Later ones (I just discovered) reprint Scandanavian originated stories, which are a bit hit and miss. Here's the two I have, bought for a buck each at a garage sale:

Phantom_1000_zps45be148a.jpg

Phantom_1226_zps1a9fa894.jpg

The first one is probably a good place to start trying them out - 308 pages, with stories from the whole history of The Ghost Who Walks, including strip reprints and new stories. Thes econd one was published just after Falk's death, and it's 100 page. (Regular issues are 32)

HTH.

They're just landscape format. Not unusual for Aussie books of that time. They are just a little under normal comic size. The replica issues that came out with the huge specials from the 1990s on were the same size as the originals and I think they were about Marvel modern size. (I don't have one here to measure.)

Regular sized, just REALLY thick - I don't think CGC can slab them.

There is one slabbed 316 pager in the census. Wish I had a picture of the slab.

Title

Phantom Annual

Issue No. 1187

Issue Date 1998

Year 1998

Publisher Frew Publication

Country Australia

KGrHqNHJEwFERuY949CBRFevEHQ9w60_57_zps10251b21.jpg

Hey Shadroch - try here:

http://www.gumtree.com.au

Always people selling Frew Phantoms on there - usually very cheap and no fees at all.

I believe all Phantom comics are now printed in Australia, god knows why.

Good luck mate!