• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Top Book
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Number one on the list, the purge survival list.

I have talked about nine books so far, nine books that I would save should I ever find myself having to purge my collection. I have enjoyed telling these stories and I have one more to tell, before I do this, I want to thank surfer99 for giving us the idea. I also want to thank Tnerb and bagofleas for inspiring me to post my own list (I just copied their style); I also thank SW3D for his feedback and encouragement. I'm excited to see entries from kaholo1256, Scott Harris and Lee K; I'm looking forward to seeing their next entries as well as lists from other members.

A few years ago I wrote a journal about my top five pieces, I talked about how lists like these change over time, only two books from that list made it to my current top ten purge survival list. So, now I have my top book to present, number one on the list of books I could not part with...

Action Comics #443 (January 1975).

I wrote about this book a few months back and I'll talk about it again! This to me is THE book to keep, if I could only save one book, I wouldn't have to think about it, this is it. I first saw this cover as a kid when I was just discovering Superman and comics, this book represents to me everything about what I got into comics for in the first place.

I love this cover, I love all the guest stars included and how you're invited to check out 100 pages worth of stories inside. When holding this slab you really feel the weight of this 100 Page Giant, and as of this writing, it is 1 of 2 in 9.8 grade. While I'm stoked to have this in high grade, it really comes down to the cover. I like seeing Superman opening up a giant copy of Action Comics, and letting a bunch of familiar heroes run out from the pages. I found a raw copy about 10 years ago at a shop, which was such a find for me at the time. It was this cover that would eventually lead to my focus on Action Comics.

Thanks for reading.

Recap:

10) Raiders of the Lost Ark #1, CGC 9.8, Golden State copy

9) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom #3, CGC 9.8

8) Uncanny X-Men #142, CGC 9.8

7) The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones #34, CGC 9.8

6) Action Comics #581, CGC 9.9, Golden State copy

5) Action Comics #417, CGC 9.8, Winnipeg copy

4) Action Comics #410, CGC 9.8, Rocky Mountain copy

3) Action Comics #404, CGC 9.8, Rocky Mountain copy

2) Action Comics #400, CGC 9.8

13753.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

Thank you for sharing your top ten Brandon, they are all exceptionally beautiful books and you are rightfully proud of your collection.

You have an excellent focus, and it is nice to have another DC guy journaling.

Lee K

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for the shout out!

What can i say... your #1 is a beauty... and more importantly your impetus for collecting.

The cherished memory that comic represents is truly priceless.

Thanks for the very enjoyable top 10 list... i am exactly sad to see it end.

SW3D

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2013 at 6:59 PM, Brando- said:

Number one on the list, the purge survival list.

Recap:

10) Raiders of the Lost Ark #1, CGC 9.8, Golden State copy

9) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom #3, CGC 9.8

8) Uncanny X-Men #142, CGC 9.8

7) The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones #34, CGC 9.8

13753.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

I also found my Purge Survival List from five years ago.

10) Raiders of the Lost Ark #1, CGC 9.8, Golden State copy SOLD

9) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom #3, CGC 9.8 SOLD

8) Uncanny X-Men #142, CGC 9.8 SOLD

7) The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones #34, CGC 9.8 SOLD

1) Action Comics #443, CGC 9.8

Things change over time.

I like this idea very much. It's the comics equivalent of a desert island disc. Safe to say that our purge survival lists don't overlap! (Though mine would have an Action Comics on it - #58)

I'm also interested that you sold 40% of your previous list. Change of interest, or economic reality if you wanted to chase the ones ranked higher?

3 hours ago, AJD said:

I like this idea very much. It's the comics equivalent of a desert island disc. Safe to say that our purge survival lists don't overlap! (Though mine would have an Action Comics on it - #58)

You have Action Comics #58? AC #58 is an interesting war time cover, you collect war bond covers if I'm not mistaken.

See the source image

3 hours ago, AJD said:

I'm also interested that you sold 40% of your previous list. Change of interest, or economic reality if you wanted to chase the ones ranked higher?

It would be both. I began collecting the 1980s Indiana Jones books from Marvel 11 years ago. I wanted to complete the Further Adventures of Indianan Jones, with only 34 issues, all in 9.8. The first 12 were easy to find, the other were difficult. Over the years, my enthusiasm faded, I just never saw any of these books in the wild. Prior to selling the books, it had been over a year since I pulled the box they were stored in for viewing. Selling had been on the back of my mind for some time. 

I sold the Uncanny X-Men #142 to accommodate the purchase of a pedigree Action Comic example from 1969. I actually miss the X-Men book, but I made the right call. It also saved me from making interest payments!

There was also the economic reality. I was born to collect Action Comics, and many of these books are expensive. I've found some real gems these last five months and I decided it was time for some books (over 40 slabs) to go. Professor Pecora once wrote about building a large collection, only to have to come to the decision to sell everything, it was a very sobering read. There is also a controversial journal thread on here about taking a certain road...

Let's just say I did not want to take those first steps toward an outcome Professor Pecora warned of, or to the debacle that is My Road to Success. 

Edited by Brando-

• Administrator

This is the original view of this journal on the Chat Boards. This view is locked, so members can no longer reply here.

This journal is also posted in the new Journals section, which is unlocked. Click the link below to see any other comments about this journal and post new replies.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/blogs/entry/2934-my-top-book/

• Administrator

You can also click "My Journal" in the main menu to quickly find your own journal, journal entries, and replies.

07 My Journal CGC.png

And you can search all journals by using the search tool.

08 Search Journals CGC.png

• Administrator

You can find journal entries by a specific author by using the search tool and visiting their profile, and you can follow members to get notifications when they post new content.

09 Members Journals CGC.png

1 1