• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is a positive thread to make Comics General better.
3 3

3,896 posts in this topic

The words "Howdy Doody" were magical to me when I was a kid. To me they represented an exotic U.S. TV program that the more fortunate kids got to watch. You see our local TV station in London didn't carry the program and one needed an antenna on the roof of the house to get it on a Detroit, Cleveland or Erie channel. For my family it was a moot point anyway because the program was cancelled in September, 1960 and we didn't even get a TV until 1961.

These days though I like to pick up Howdy Doody paraphernalia when I get the chance. I have this Milton Bradley board game:

HowdyDoodysAdventureGame-1.jpg

Plus five DELL Howdy Doody comics. Here's my favourite of the five:

HowdyDoody13.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

"Say kids, what time is it?"... this isn't just Howdy Doody, it's Heavy Doody! Great stuff!

Like you I'm more from the "Winky Dink and You" re-run generation but my Sister, who is 8 years older, told me she was in the Peanut Gallery twice on the show as a kid along with "Lunch with Soupy" studio audience when we were living in Detroit. Back in the day Howdy Doody was a God!

I believe in the early 50's there was also a Canadian CBC version of "The Howdy Doody Show" with Scotty from Star Trek, James Doohan, as Timber Tom and William Shatner as Ranger Bob.

Ranger%20Bob_zpsforqbpa7.jpg

This is what we had in England when I was a kid... Pipkins.

pipkins-volume-1.jpg

It featured Hartley Hare...

HarlteytheHare_473168c.jpg

...who was obviously a prototype for the Donnie Darko rabbit.

I used to love it!

"It's time for a story!"

I believe in the early 50's there was also a Canadian CBC version of "The Howdy Doody Show" with Scotty from Star Trek, James Doohan, as Timber Tom and William Shatner as Ranger Bob.

I knew a fellow named Alan who doted on Big Al's kids' program on CKCO-TV from Kitchener. He absolutely idolized Big Al, a cowboy type character who ostensibly loved all kids. So Big Al was at a Kitchener area fall fair. I guess it was a long, hot thirsty day and Big Al was resorting to a series of cold ones to make it through the ordeal. So inevitably he had to retreat to the washroom to take a leak. Now Alan had seized upon the chance to meet his idol at the fair that day and followed Big Al to the washroom. So Alan sidled up to Big Al at the next urinal over and said "Hi Big Al! They call me Little Al." But by this time Big Al was pretty tanked up. Three sheets to the wind you might say. He accordingly looked over at this annoying little twerp beside him and said "Ahhhhhhh, f.... off kid."

Well Little Alan was just shattered! Here he'd gotten the proverbial back of the hand from his idol!

So years later Alan became a city cop in London. One day he pulled a woman over for some picayune traffic offence. It turned out to be Miss Dorothy, the hostess of CFPL-TV's own Romper Room in London. What, one of those good-for-nothing kids' TV hosts?! Well Alan threw the book at her. Got her for everything he could think of and more. That'll teach those kid hating hypocrites from those TV shows!

lol

Edited by Hepcat