• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 August 1 - 2 Heritage Comics Signature Auction

274 posts in this topic

Also, maybe because I'm more of a "low end" collector compared to a lot of people on this board, for the first time in a long time I am actually WAY more interested in the C-Link auction than Heritage. I'd say there are a good 10-15 pages I am actually going to make a go at.

I had over $30K in bids in with maybe $10K of it on thrill bids... I walked away with a $200 cover. I think I should just stick to private sales and ebay.

A $200 cover is a good buy, so nothing wrong with trying out HA once in awhile.

As for me, I tried to keep myself under the 2.5K credit card limit of HA and I managed to do that. Its the same thing at the end of the day but its a hassle to get a cheque/money order and mail it out.. rather just charge it and have it automatically taken out of my bank account when the credit card is due.

Malvin

I was watching a bunch of stuff - mostly went in range I expected - although was surprised by the Kubert result per earlier thread (I am not enough of a war buff to know if there was something extra special about that page).

I won one of the least expensive items in the auction - thrill bid on Mack KISS piece...$111 without vig.

Also, agree the ComicLink auction has more art in my wheelhouse than Heritage this time...

I bid on the Buscema Loki recreation splash. I was outbid during the live auction. Only one bidder over me. :tonofbricks: I hope it went to someones collection because if it shows up for twice the price on a dealers site I'm gonna be POed.

Nobody has yet mentioned the Krigstein CrimeSuspenseStory: I think its a masterpiece on par with the Wood Atom Bomb story that somebody got for a fraction of the price that even the last Krigstein EC masterwork went for (Flying Machine, based on a Bradbury story-- maybe that was part of that valuation). I really hope it was bought by someone who will keep it intact. It's a historic masterwork that advanced the form. I fear that I might come to regret not moving heaven and earth to aquire it... but then, I feel that way a lot.

Nobody has yet mentioned the Krigstein CrimeSuspenseStory: I think its a masterpiece on par with the Wood Atom Bomb story that somebody got for a fraction of the price that even the last Krigstein EC masterwork went for (Flying Machine, based on a Bradbury story-- maybe that was part of that valuation). I really hope it was bought by someone who will keep it intact. It's a historic masterwork that advanced the form. I fear that I might come to regret not moving heaven and earth to aquire it... but then, I feel that way a lot.

I loved that story. And I agree that was completely on par with the Wood pages. I just thought the story was a little mean spirited (as you'd expect, even though it was tongue in cheek) so I think that hampered my enjoyment. But what a killer set of pages that was.

I loved that story. And I agree that was completely on par with the Wood pages. I just thought the story was a little mean spirited (as you'd expect, even though it was tongue in cheek) so I think that hampered my enjoyment. But what a killer set of pages that was.

Heh heh. Yes, the tone of that story was a little dark, at that.

I love that cover.

Is the hat the reason the McFarlane Wizard cover (to issue #1 no less) sold for less than the Alex Ross cover?

you have the ask the winner and underbidder of the McFarlane Wizard cover (and maybe of the Alex Ross cover) that question!

Malvin

Public Service Announcement:

I was told that the McFarlane Wizard #1 cover actually started out as a pencil-only piece owned by Gareb Shamus and was ultimately inked by Mark Pennington (uncredited) before it was shot and colored for publication. I was told this today by the guy tasked by Shamus to get the piece inked - he hired his buddy Mark Pennington, a frequent collaborator of Bart Sears (the guy who hired Pennington was Sears' roommate).

I'm not sure the guy even knew the OA for the cover sold recently (I didn't mention it to him); the story just came up in a conversation about his early days working for Wizard. Just thought I'd pass it along in case anybody here won the cover, knows who won the cover, or was ever thinking about going after the cover in the future. It is still a wonderful piece of comic history, but it's not all McFarlane. 2c

If that is the case, can the current owner return the lot to Heritage for a refund? There was no mention of this in the auction description, and I imagine this makes a world of difference in terms of value and desirability.

They absolutely should be able to.