• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 August 1 - 2 Heritage Comics Signature Auction

274 posts in this topic

Of all the material people can choose from the last 70-75 years somehow McFarlane's sale and this thing commands the most dollars?

To be fair, most people agree the McFarlane cover is an aberration at best. This DKR piece is a true A+ piece. If someone could spot me the additional $300-$400K I'd love to have this puppy on my wall.

Of all the material people can choose from the last 70-75 years somehow McFarlane's sale and this thing commands the most dollars?

To be fair, most people agree the McFarlane cover is an aberration at best. This DKR piece is a true A+ piece. If someone could spot me the additional $300-$400K I'd love to have this puppy on my wall.

I don't think everyone agrees that it is A+, I certainly don't

The ASM 328 was a surprise; this is not. The problem with all the material before the late 60s is that the covers aren't on the market. Obviously key ditko and kirby pieces would exceed the value of this piece but they aren't for sale or don't exist.

You can bet that the ASM 50 cover wasn't exactly cheap.

If you had the ASM 14 cover or something, or lord forbid the AF 15 cover, well, now that would be an auction to watch.

A+

Whether or not the style is to your liking, it's one of the most recognizable images of the decade that transformed comics. Few covers are as significant as this one.

I agree. It's not my cup of tea, but I've always thought of it as an A+ cover. Miller is one of the most important comic creators and DKR is perhaps his most important work, with the DKR #1 and #2 covers being the highest profile images/pieces from that series.

I heard from various people at the SDCC today that there is a reserve on the piece. I've heard $400K, $450K and $500-$600K, so I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure. hm

I would take ANY of the other 3 covers over this one from the series, even though the #2 cover has the most line art of any of them... but still, I would take this cover over any of the Watchmen covers. In fact, of all the covers I have seen that I would be interested in and I know is available, this would be #1

Really, you'd take logo-and-a-corner-shock-pose #3 over this? :screwy: (for me, this is the best DK cover)

I certainly agree with the rest of your sentiments though!

In case anyone has forgotten. Still love ya dumur but that would be the worst decision ever :P

batman_the_dark_knight_returns__1986_____3.jpg

I would also add #3 is probably on two separate boards, from looking at it. The background is clearly airbrush. They could have drawn robin, masked it, and then painted out the background but it probably would have been easier to just use two boards.

OMG the artwork is laughable [and I love Miller's work on DD], worse Robin ever! Sorry to harp on this guys but I don't care how important the work might be the art work is cringe worthy.

If you don't like it you don't like it. Some of the daredevil stuff, particularly the early issues, I look down on a bit so it's a matter of personal taste.

I think most would agree that #3 is the worst of the bunch but even #3 wasn't so bad (as a printed cover) back in the day. People just weren't doing covers like that (huge logo and barely any art) at the time. It was so far outside the norm that it made me wonder what was going on inside, and more than anything it was another signal that this wasn't your dad's Biff Bam Pow Batman.

My take is that you like straight ahead art better than something that was a little more unconvential (oh jeez I am sounding like Gene about Lichtenstein :) ...maybe he was right all along ) and so you're finding it hard to be evenhanded in your analysis? I mean, as nice as some of the DD covers were, there were also some that were a hot mess :facepalm: This one is just ugly to look at and 173 where he's fighting the rejects from pulp fiction not much better, I'm not a huge fan of 174, etc

daredevil+177B.jpg

I'm not a fan of that cover piece for #177 either, looks like he did it up in about 5 minutes. It didn't help that they ran that NBC Spider-Man banner at the top of so many Marvel issues. Back in the day I use to cringe when I saw these as it ruined many, many covers.

It didn't help that they ran that NBC Spider-Man banner at the top of so many Marvel issues. Back in the day I use to cringe when I saw these as it ruined many, many covers.

I bet all the artists were furious when they saw it, too.

Bronty, I know it is absurd, but I do prefer that #3 cover. Granted there is some nostalgia attached as #3 was the first I bought of the series (because it was the only one I could afford as first printings of 1 and 2 were already over #20) Then again, I really like small figures with tons of negative space. I grant you exhibit A: One of my favorite Animal Man pages (and I happen to own it)

gallerypiece.asp?piece=146929

I love it. Though I would say my preference is #1, #4, #3 and #2 in that order. I realize it's purely nostalgia driven, but it's just the way those covers make me feel when I see them. And I love the Robin pose.