• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,178 posts in this topic

Well first off, Paul, those covers are just beautiful. The books really look good - have great color and look pretty danged clean, rich and glossy! Subject matter? Well, I guess if you like precode horror they may appeal to SOME people.

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

OK - seriously, those really are classic precode, especially the first two covers. And it is most generous to show some of those pages as well! Really enjoying these! thumbsup2.gif

You may want to post them, though, in the Have A Cigar - Golden Age Only thread here. It is locked at the top and your sweet books will be seen for as long as you keep the links up! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, POV. I have to be honest.... I had other targets in mind in pre-code horror books when I first saw these. Seeing them up close made me realize that I had to have them for my collection. There was something about not only the condition of the books, but the production values, quality covers, and cover coloring that swayed me.

As for the interior pages, I wish I could show them all, but my fingers would fall off by then... smile.gif I do nothing all day but sit in front of a computer. I wish others would show more interior pages. Sometimes it's as if the covers (or is it the CGC label?) are the only thing that matters...

I had other targets in mind in pre-code horror books when I first saw these. Seeing them up close made me realize that I had to have them for my collection.

I have to say it is great to see yet another precode horror collector here! We are slowly gaining in world dominion!

Have you seen my pre-code horror checklist? It is my take on all of the precode horror books including title, publisher, issue numbers, dates and some notes. You can open it in your browser (it is in CSV format), copy it and paste it right into a spreadsheet. Hope you think it is useful. Was fun to com;pile and I opcassionally update it. If you see something that should be added or removed please let me know!

Precode Horror Checklist

Wow, great Ajax books! Very nice going indeed. I love that apocalyptic horseman cover, very Pat Roberston. smirk.gif

And Pov, may I say that your pre-code checklist is invaluable, wonderful stuff? I made a printout, I'm sure I'll use it often as I try to capture 9.8's of every book on there, hahaha!

I didn't see the Bobby Benson horror cover on your list? I can't remember the issue # offhand, but it's the one with the mad scientist and the hanging heads on the wall. I know BB is a cheeze western title, but it's kinda a classic campy horror cover, doncha think?

Hey Shrinkie (may I call you Shrinkie devil.gif)

Thanks for the compliment!

Truth be told, there are a lot of precode horror covers that are not there. Basically I tried to make a list that only includes 100% precode horror as far as content goes as well. Covers like that Bobby Benson 14 or ME 27 (Ghost Rider 1) etc - heck - even some of the 40's GA books that had horror covers I didn't include. They are interesting to say the least. But I had to make some criteria for where to STOP! 27_laughing.gif

Now the bulk of my list comes from TALES TOO TERRIBLE TO TELL - hope you know about it. If you don;t just say so and will direct you to the best $25 you ever spent on precode horror!

I'm definitely going to get the TTTTT set.... thanks for the recommendation a while back.

Right.... early L.B. Cole covers come to mind.... Suspense Comics #8-#11, Mask Comics #1-2, etc. they had great horror covers but usually had crime-related interiors.

I'm definitely going to get the TTTTT set.... thanks for the recommendation a while back.

Right.... early L.B. Cole covers come to mind.... Suspense Comics #8-#11, Mask Comics #1-2, etc. they had great horror covers but usually had crime-related interiors.

You got it. And a lot of the sci-fi books from the day, including the Avon 1-shots and EC titles, often had horrific covers but were really more sci-fi than horror content. smile.gif

No doubt about it. The Star publications in particular had some classic Cole "horror" covers, but the interiors were usually some stinky crime, jungle, etc. material. As an avid "reader" of horror comics, I have to shy sadly away from them for now. My skinny pocketbook demands I buy books I can read for enjoyment alone.....

frown.gif

Keith, some of the non-reprint Star interiors are great. I really like the work that Jay Disbrow did for those titles. Even if you don't like the interiors, so many of those Cole covers are just unbelievable.

rjpb, I find that the Farrell books are pretty tough to find in grades higher than 6.0 - 7.0 or so. I know Vinny has a HT #5 pedigree up for sale, but you might as well hand over your next mortage payment to him if you want it.

Edited by paull

I've seen that #5 on Metro's site, it's like $1600 or something like that!

I think my fav pre-codes are Black Magic and Dark Mysteries. Black Magic is an especially underrated title, I feel, because it got so crappy when it continued post-code. I love how the Black Magic covers are loaded with dialogue balloons. You get a little story on every cover!