• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,226 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

(a gathering of all known chess covers would be a fun comic pursuit!) 

I met a fellow at SD Con that was on such a quest.  He had a great list as a starting point and I provided him with a few more that he wasn't aware of.

37 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

A fuzzy old scanning effort from 2005 -- need to redo this scan. But it's clear enough to share! Haunted Thrills #16 for another chess-focused cover (a gathering of all known chess covers would be a fun comic pursuit!)

ht-16small.png

Chess was/is my fav board game of all time. I wonder how many chess covers are out there. Could we come up with at least 25 Golden age good ones?

1 hour ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Chess was/is my fav board game of all time. I wonder how many chess covers are out there. Could we come up with at least 25 Golden age good ones?

Maybe good for a thread on its own? Your idea, so if you start it, I'll repost my two PCH ones to it! And of course there's JLA #1 (though not technically GA) -- others? :)

Edit to add -- Beyond #16 (great cover that I don't have) -- someone post one, please!

Edited by originalisbest
addition

3 hours ago, originalisbest said:

Maybe good for a thread on its own? Your idea, so if you start it, I'll repost my two PCH ones to it! And of course there's JLA #1 (though not technically GA) -- others? :)

Edit to add -- Beyond #16 (great cover that I don't have) -- someone post one, please!

Here's my 16

The Eerie Adventures #1 is the best chess cover imo though

Scan05182018155334_001.jpg

Edited by retrocomics
Spelling

12 minutes ago, X_Phile said:

Another Two that I was able to snag this week. Really been looking for the Strange Mysteries 12. 

strange mysteries 16 F.jpg

2018-05-19-0007.jpg

Nice! Definitely #11and #12 seem to be the toughest to track down in my opinion in the SM run.

Edited by retrocomics

5 minutes ago, NormdaMarine said:

Should have put this here instead of a new post...

What an amazing and beautiful find I ran into by chance! The Dark Mysteries 19 is just beautiful and is in the 3-5 range as is... The Haunt of Fear 8 is damaged in the middle all the way through the book but does not affect anything and the cover is fully attached LMAO!!!!!

20180520_082039.jpg

20180520_082110.jpg

Awesome. Any Dark Mysteries 19 is a wonderful find! Still need that one.