• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,192 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

Awesome!  Is you #13 (the 3D one) in nice shape?  I've found that to be the toughest of the bunch. 

Funny thing is, I have seen it pop up on The Bay from time to time.  All my issues are really just readers, around abouts VG condition or so.

3 minutes ago, fifties said:

Funny thing is, I have seen it pop up on The Bay from time to time.  All my issues are really just readers, around abouts VG condition or so.

Gotcha.  From the pic it looked a bit nicer than some of the others, but it's a busy cover and it's hard to tell.  I have 2, both VG or less.  I think I picked up a LB Cole lot on Heritage just for that book.  I may have needed a few others in the bunch, I don't remember as it was 4.5 years ago:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crime/comic-books-assorted-golden-age-l-b-cole-crime-comics-group-various-publishers-1950s-condition-average-vg-total-6-comic-books-/a/121407-11339.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

That image is my copy, which was an upgrade.  Side note - I just checked the census and there's only 1 graded, and it's a 4.5!

I try to stay away from those lumped auctions now though, because I got kinda burned on another one.  2 books, Cole's BBWT 111 & 113.  I could tell the 111 (the werewolf cover) was a reader and listed as GD- but I couldn't see the whole cover.  When I got it there was a 2" piece out of the cover.  :( It''s ok tho, as I've upgraded since and could likely now sell the under for what that auction ran me or more. 

Keep up with the Cole crime books!  As his romance and horror books go thru the roof it's only a matter of time before the rest catch up, even if they don't reach the heights of those 2 genres.  Thrilling Crime is a good one!  :headbang:

25 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

Gotcha.  From the pic it looked a bit nicer than some of the others, but it's a busy cover and it's hard to tell.  I have 2, both VG or less.  I think I picked up a LB Cole lot on Heritage just for that book.  I may have needed a few others in the bunch, I don't remember as it was 4.5 years ago:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crime/comic-books-assorted-golden-age-l-b-cole-crime-comics-group-various-publishers-1950s-condition-average-vg-total-6-comic-books-/a/121407-11339.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

That image is my copy, which was an upgrade.  Side note - I just checked the census and there's only 1 graded, and it's a 4.5!

I try to stay away from those lumped auctions now though, because I got kinda burned on another one.  2 books, Cole's BBWT 111 & 113.  I could tell the 111 (the werewolf cover) was a reader and listed as GD- but I couldn't see the whole cover.  When I got it there was a 2" piece out of the cover.  :( It''s ok tho, as I've upgraded since and could likely now sell the under for what that auction ran me or more. 

Keep up with the Cole crime books!  As his romance and horror books go thru the roof it's only a matter of time before the rest catch up, even if they don't reach the heights of those 2 genres.  Thrilling Crime is a good one!  :headbang:

If a Poll for All Time Cole covers is ever compiled here, it will have to be a step by step process: First determining a Top 5 to 10 Horror, then Crime, then Western, then Sci-Fi and lastly Romance  and then compiling all those together to see which ones make the Top 20 to 25. Would be interesting to see which Romance and Crime and Western make the cut as the Horror and Sci-Fi books could surely dominate. 

...and how could i forget the Super Heroes..

Edited by sagii

36 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

All Famous Crime, All Famous Police Cases, Crime Fighting Detective, Shock Detective, Shocking Mystery, Thrilling Crime, and of course the horror books as well, all L.B. Cole covers, and pretty much all good readers. 

I really don't care what the value is or will be, as I buy to read, and my son told me he wants to hang onto my collection when I eventually go to the big comic convention in the sky... ;) 

16 minutes ago, sagii said:

If a Poll for All Time Cole covers is ever compiled here, it will have to be a step by step process: First determining a Top 5 to 10 Horror, then Crime, then Western, then Sci-Fi and lastly Romance  and then compiling all those together to see which ones make the Top 20 to 25. Would be interesting to see which Romance and Crime and Western make the cut as the Horror and Sci-Fi books could surely dominate. 

...and how could i forget the Super Heroes..

Man...  I own over 400 (I think closer to 450, I forget) so that's a tough one to even think about.  I don't think funny animal would make it but I'd also count adventure as a category (or a misc.), such as the early Blue Bolts or Young King Cole, as he did plenty of other stuff.  What is Jeep Comics with a dinosaur, for example?  This could take weeks if not months...   but could be worth it...

1 minute ago, PopKulture said:

And even thought their star has fallen don't forget about his funny animal work! There are some real gems there.

You are SO right!

Seems like a more laborious task than the Baker poll

:foryou:

1 hour ago, pmpknface said:

Man...  I own over 400 (I think closer to 450, I forget) so that's a tough one to even think about.  I don't think funny animal would make it but I'd also count adventure as a category (or a misc.), such as the early Blue Bolts or Young King Cole, as he did plenty of other stuff.  What is Jeep Comics with a dinosaur, for example?  This could take weeks if not months...   but could be worth it...

...and yes, plenty of sub subsets to consider also.:ohnoez:

I have slowly but surely added a few nuggets into my stash after letting my sole example go not too far back(would like them slabbed -Newton Rings be danged)before i share them though. 

Edited by sagii

23 hours ago, fifties said:

Just came in today.  Now I have the full run of this title.

All Famous Police Cases 7.jpg

I just picked this exact book up today at my LCS on a whim. In fact, he had #s 7, 10 and 14 and I grabbed them all. I couldn't resist. I may need to complete the run now, just like you.

1 hour ago, elibowman said:

I just picked this exact book up today at my LCS on a whim. In fact, he had #s 7, 10 and 14 and I grabbed them all. I couldn't resist. I may need to complete the run now, just like you.

You display good taste!  ;)

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

May have paid a tad too much, but one I had not seen previously. And how do you price something without any recent sales anyway?

Hehe, the market be damned, you price it at what you are willing to pay, and sometimes that's through the nose, but at least you've snared it!  Been there done that many times.