• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Please be kind to my n00b presence...

What are the last pre-Code and first Code comic books (if that information is known/available)?

It probably varies by publisher -- it'd be interesting to know (by publication date) what was the last precode standing; but many of the last of the precodes had already succumbed to self-censorship (all publishers were feeling the heat.) :-)

7 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

It probably varies by publisher -- it'd be interesting to know (by publication date) what was the last precode standing; but many of the last of the precodes had already succumbed to self-censorship (all publishers were feeling the heat.) :-)

Do we know who the last pre-Code and first Code comics were for DC? Or even specifically Action, Detective, Superman, and Batman (since those are the 4 collections I'm expanding the most)?

Thank you for your reply.

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Do we know who the last pre-Code and first Code comics were for DC? Or even specifically Action, Detective, Superman, and Batman (since those are the 4 collections I'm expanding the most)?

Thank you for your reply.

No DC expert here, but the first for DC to bear the CCA seal were for those titles: Action 202, Detective 217, Superman 96, and Batman 90. :)

38 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

What are the last pre-Code and first Code comic books (if that information is known/available)?

In case you want to look up more here is a great site to use.  The link goes directly to DCs on sale dat of 12-54 which seem to be the last pre-code.  You can search other publishers as well.

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/newsstand.php?type=calendar&month=12&year=1954&publisher=dc&sort=alpha&checklist=null

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I think generally speaking, pre-code ended with cover dates of February or March, 1955, and coded books began with March or April.  I believe the last precode to be published was the May-June, 1955 issue of EC's Weird Science Fantasy.