• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

Some of my favorite recent purchases (partial cross-post with the Fiction House thread):

Sheena 1: iconic comic of first ever female hero/character to have her own eponymous comic book.  Zolnerowich cover too.

Junbo/Jungle/Sheena: The Sheena comic in the middle of the Jumbo and Jungle is interesting as it's Sheena #1 Canadian Edition (same cover and content as Sheena #5 US edition).  The Jungle comics 98 was used in SOTI.

Jumbo 95 is also a cool book:  one of the few books with a nude (partial) Sheena panel for all the GGA lovers out there!

SM 1 was tough to find a decent copy at a reasonable price.  SM 3 is actually the Canadian edition and looks the same as a US edition (not noticeably inferior printing and material)

Weird Tales: love this Brundage cover!  Margaret Brundage is the Godmother of pulp painted GGA covers, some of the most iconic and salacious of the era, preceding comic GGA by a decade.

Capt Aero 25:  classic LB Cole sci-fi / aviation cover, beat but complete and cheap.  Can this book even be had in decent shape for less than a king's ransom?

sheena 1.png

jungle jumbo.png

jumbo 95.png

jumbo 95 page.png

SM 1 3.png

WT.png

capt aero 25.png

9 hours ago, Frank Grow said:

Also I dig this cover- the swimming fist are a nice touch- I was watching one on ebay but missed the auction.

lolWhen I read this I looked all over the cover and could not for the life of me see a swimming fist anywhere. :) 

12 hours ago, davet75 said:

SM 1 was tough to find a decent copy at a reasonable price.  SM 3 is actually the Canadian edition and looks the same as a US edition (not noticeably inferior printing and material)

How can you tell the difference between american and canadian.  my understanding is that all the superiors were made in and from canada.

8 hours ago, Frank Grow said:

How can you tell the difference between american and canadian.  my understanding is that all the superiors were made in and from canada.

Hi Frank, my mistake.  You are correct that all Superior comics were printed in Canada and then distributed.  Technically all Superior comics are the Canadian version, since there is no other version.  Interesting, I came to this erroneous understanding through a Canadian comic dealer who sold me some books including the Sheena #1 Canadian edition and the SM 3.  He told me that the prices were lower than the US versions because the US versions are the most sought after and commanded top price while Canadian and UK versions usually sell at a discount.  I didn't dig any further since I was getting those cool books at a good :whistle:discount

11 hours ago, davet75 said:

Hi Frank, my mistake.  You are correct that all Superior comics were printed in Canada and then distributed.  Technically all Superior comics are the Canadian version, since there is no other version.  Interesting, I came to this erroneous understanding through a Canadian comic dealer who sold me some books including the Sheena #1 Canadian edition and the SM 3.  He told me that the prices were lower than the US versions because the US versions are the most sought after and commanded top price while Canadian and UK versions usually sell at a discount.  I didn't dig any further since I was getting those cool books at a good :whistle:discount

I have a few different duplicates, including some EC's, the same issue from both the U.S. and Canadian publishers.  There is a noticeable difference in the print quality of the interior pages, where the Canadian version has softer tones; i.e., not as bright and sharp as the American counterpart.  AFA the covers, they are about the same, although some Canadian copies don't have the inside FC ad graphics of the American books.

59 minutes ago, atomised said:

finally got this book back with good news.  Picked up as a Voldemort 4.0 copy off the bay.  With a press got the CGC 5.0.  A copy recently realized a good price in a clink auction but can't find that info.

IMG_2925.jpg

Great skull cover :headbang:

59 minutes ago, atomised said:

finally got this book back with good news.  Picked up as a Voldemort 4.0 copy off the bay.  With a press got the CGC 5.0.  A copy recently realized a good price in a clink auction but can't find that info.

IMG_2925.jpg

Fantastic! 

Great way to celebrate Halloween!

IMG_1217.JPG.71fb5a5d7578049cb3ab799a8944e177.JPG

1 hour ago, atomised said:

IMG_2925.jpg

One of the title's best covers, and most likely the hardest issue to find, congrats!

Be interesting to see what other artist's first professional work, if any, were in a precode horror book? This is what makes Fantastic Fears a very special book- especially when it concerns the work of one of the most unique and greatest artists/storytellers of the 20th Century comic book. Ditko really started in precode horror (yes, his first published work was in a romance comic but Ditko will be remembered for his work on Spidey during the great Marvel Silver Age of Comics and the horror precode, and later horror-mystery-suspense postcode, prehero, post-Spidey Charlton, and Bronze Charlton with a tiny bit of DC and Marvel) What's fascinating about Ditko is how he kept his unique style in different eras - Ditko's ability to adapt to the changes that followed the introduction of the Code - something that artists like the amazing Graham Ingels couldn't do. It's only fitting that Ditko's first professional work was inside a book that helped to define his greatness- "Fantastic" and "Fears."

Edited by bronze johnny