• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,221 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Haunted Thrills said:

Great cover.  I have this one and number 8 with the woman in the ship cabin being menaced by a corpse flying through the porthole.  Some insane covers in the series, but of course many issues are quite pricey.

mistermystery8.jpg

Mister Mystery is a great title.

J2rSIU.jpg

EFAfct.jpg

D0CDFF.jpg

14 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

No way could a publisher get away with this today . . . Read all the text. Be suspicious of the shape of the rocks, even.

These guys were pushing the envelope and laughing the whole way

9328CC44-7930-4FC7-9B70-8FF7C7047369.jpeg

Can’t blame her wanting to hold di.....I mean Richard, he’s so dreamy hahaha

17 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

No way could a publisher get away with this today . . . Read all the text. Be suspicious of the shape of the rocks, even.

These guys were pushing the envelope and laughing the whole way

9328CC44-7930-4FC7-9B70-8FF7C7047369.jpeg

Yup, they absolutely knew what they were doing. Read some anecdotes from the creators of the time like Feldstein and they laugh about all of the double entendres they got away with.

2 hours ago, Haunted Thrills said:

Great cover.  I have this one and number 8 with the woman in the ship cabin being menaced by a corpse flying through the porthole.  Some insane covers in the series, but of course many issues are quite pricey.

mistermystery8.jpg

This is a cool one! The little added extras make it! The title "The Dead That Rise" on the book along with SS Mystery as the name of the ship. (thumbsu

30 minutes ago, Jayman said:

This is a cool one! The little added extras make it! The title "The Dead That Rise" on the book along with SS Mystery as the name of the ship. (thumbsu

Yes, the details are great!  I'd read that Baily pencilled and Mortellaro inked the cover, but then again, the female looks a lot like a Maurice Whitman girl (Ghost comics).

On 11/17/2018 at 3:33 PM, comicquant said:

Thanks to @Shaolingoat I landed these two this afternoon!  

36DE8B3B-5148-447B-8621-6AC9C49AD9C8.png

AD7F5734-4C27-4D57-92F7-9DD3481D060A.png

SWEET!  The #30 is a reused / edited Disbrow swipe, but they are both super cool.  And both really nice condition!  That STT #9 almost never is seen looking sharp, but you got a nice one!  The colors are great on both.  I'm a Cole completeast, but I still want... er... NEED a #30.  Congrats!