• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,189 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Point Five said:

:whistle:

blackcat50.jpg.bb33f784410db4590f13029c5b4a9f19.jpg

Effects of radiation during the Atomic Age aside, I've always thought of this cover as having a subliminal message for individuals who smoke cigarettes. Definitely an interpretation that could be considered today even it was never Elias' intent.

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

Effects of radiation during the Atomic Age aside, I've always thought of this cover as having a subliminal message for individuals who smoke cigarettes. Definitely an interpretation that could be considered today even it was never Elias' intent.

No, I kinda doubt it.  Smoking was the in thing during that period.  That cover was illustrated strictly for shock value, as it was in competition with almost 500 other comic book titles at the time.

30 minutes ago, fifties said:

No, I kinda doubt it.  Smoking was the in thing during that period.  That cover was illustrated strictly for shock value, as it was in competition with almost 500 other comic book titles at the time.

Take a look again at what I wrote.(thumbsu

1 hour ago, fifties said:

3 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Right on both points gents.

Not a pre code, but posting here as an example more in what fifties stated: Surprising this got through, even this early in his career Bugs was a superstar HUGE with the kids. It's a carrot, but he is smoking none the less. 

image.jpeg