• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,187 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, JoeRock said:

You guys been posting up some great stuff up lately. And to keep the thread going, one of my favorites. Been having it awhile now. I remember at first glance, damn that guys taking a slug point blank to the dome, but look a little closer and notice the background with the mirror......granted the guy has an NBA player wingspan...great underrated cover, well to me at least

144CF92A-4ADA-4A59-9334-F02581E54EF8.jpeg

One of the first ECs (other than MAD) I ever bought. Was 12 or 13 at the time and got it with a half a dozen other GA books at a swap meet. Really made an impression on me!

57 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I remember about 40 years ago when Avons were the hottest books on the planet. And, this one was pretty much top of the heap. I remember having to pay through the nose at $20. for it. A few years later, just before his death, I had the distinct pleasure of having Wally Wood sign it for me.  Still love it!

Doesn't seem to get the love it once did...

commaskfumanchu1.jpg

I too recall when the Avon one-shots took off, and how sad it was thinking I'd never get nice copies of all of them. Over the years, I found low grade copies of a few of the amazing sci-fi covers, but to this day, several elude me. I think the run is truly under-rated: think of the complete set of one-shots and all the great genres represented (beside super-heroes). It's a pretty stunning cross-section of horror, mystery, crime, western (think Chief Victorio's Apache Massacre!), adventure, romance - even a humor book or two IIRC.  :cloud9:

On 1/31/2019 at 8:07 PM, eschnit said:

Harry Chesler's Punch Comics 11 and 12...the World's Greatest Comics :fear:

IMG_2463.jpg

Bedrock City sells "the World's Greatest Comics". Thanks for the purchase.

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

I too recall when the Avon one-shots took off, and how sad it was thinking I'd never get nice copies of all of them. Over the years, I found low grade copies of a few of the amazing sci-fi covers, but to this day, several elude me. I think the run is truly under-rated: think of the complete set of one-shots and all the great genres represented (beside super-heroes). It's a pretty stunning cross-section of horror, mystery, crime, western (think Chief Victorio's Apache Massacre!), adventure, romance - even a humor book or two IIRC.  :cloud9:

Other than a few Eeries, I’ve managed to pick them all up (not at those early cheap prices)...

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Other than a few Eeries, I’ve managed to pick them all up (not at those early cheap prices)...

That's quite an accomplishment - Night of Mystery, Hooded Menace, Dead Who Walk, Earthman on Venus, Underground Story, Robotmen of the Lost Planet - so many great books! (worship)

On 2/8/2019 at 7:53 AM, Jayman said:

Very happy to add this one to the collection! 

Love the blood drips on the logo, the girl, the shrunken heads, masks and SOTI mention...the perfect blend of jungle and horror! :cloud9:

Terrors%20Of%20The%20Jungle%20%2017%20CG

@Jayman congratulations my man! Glad you scored a copy of this Wonderful LB Cole cover.

There is something about this cover that is more unique than much of Cole's other work in my opinion.  It feels that his line work on this cover is more fine than most of what you see from him.  Probably required due to the amount of "information" he fit into the cover. I find often a lot of his line work felt "fatter" than most artists (probably due to his movie poster style); but this cover definitely contrasts from most of his stuff.  I love it!

- bounty