• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,192 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, october said:

That group shot is beautiful. It sounds weird maybe, but I like the "mystery" of ungraded issues. Buying something, flipping through the pages, wondering about the grade, admiring the colors and gloss without obstruction...and being able to read it obviously. Once things are slabbed they lose some of their mystique and almost become commodities for me. I'm much more likely to sell something I own if I slab it first.

Or maybe I am just nuts.

Embrace the power of "and" :gossip:

4 hours ago, october said:

That group shot is beautiful. It sounds weird maybe, but I like the "mystery" of ungraded issues. Buying something, flipping through the pages, wondering about the grade, admiring the colors and gloss without obstruction...and being able to read it obviously. Once things are slabbed they lose some of their mystique and almost become commodities for me. I'm much more likely to sell something I own if I slab it first.

Or maybe I am just nuts.

So well put.  I will add the tangible feeling of holding and shifting through them.  Also they retain their "mystery" while stacked in our boxes.  You have to search the box to find the right one, and along the way you're seeing a bunch of other books too... unlike slabs which have labels on the top edge, making rifling through the box unnecessary.

2 hours ago, Black Bat said:

Arrived today from Heritage.  I never really paid much attention to this cover until I saw it in this auction.  The color scheme is unique.  The weird stiff brutish way the screaming man is drawn, death sprinting after him in that fantastic red cape and  the corpses laying on the mountainside.  Definitely glad I shelled out the cash.

Now I need to find a digitized copy so I can read it!

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 11.55.04 AM.png

Evans :cloud9:

7 hours ago, Black Bat said:

Arrived today from Heritage.  I never really paid much attention to this cover until I saw it in this auction.  The color scheme is unique.  The weird stiff brutish way the screaming man is drawn, death sprinting after him in that fantastic red cape and  the corpses laying on the mountainside.  Definitely glad I shelled out the cash.

Now I need to find a digitized copy so I can read it!

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 11.55.04 AM.png

Here ya go;  http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=18236

19 minutes ago, colossus is awesome! said:

Here’s my entry level copy of Venus 19 I was finally able to pick up. Would love to eventually upgrade, but this issue seems to always evade me. 

8D5F6CE4-140C-4F8A-A7C9-E161EFDA22F7.png

Ya done well.  I still have many "entry" level books bought over the last 30 years that I am so glad I grabbed, because the better condition copies have always been beyond my reach.

21 hours ago, colossus is awesome! said:

Here’s my entry level copy of Venus 19 I was finally able to pick up. Would love to eventually upgrade, but this issue seems to always evade me. 

8D5F6CE4-140C-4F8A-A7C9-E161EFDA22F7.png

Great book! I am still waiting for my “entry level” copy. Have never had that one...:sorry: