• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,221 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, davet75 said:

This is a cross-post from the Comic Events - East Coast Comic Con thread.  I'm so happy with my new books that I wanted to share again!

I went to the Sunday session of ECCC and had a great time.  It was a mid sized show with a decent turnout of dealers.  Logistically, the Meadowlands expo center was right off the highway, parking was plentiful, and the morning line to enter was not long. Since it was Sunday I think the excitement and energy had settled down a bit and it was a pretty low-key atmosphere, not too crowded, and dealers were relaxed, engaging and friendly.  There was a relatively small cosplay crowd (or I just wasn't paying any attention to them) for the contest at the end of the day.  There was quite a lot of space dedicated to artists, special guests, and exhibit booths, but not much action going on there on Sunday.  Again, I think most of that action happened Friday and Saturday.  That was fine with me, as I went primarily to hunt for GA books on my list, pick up some reasonably-priced (hopefully) silver age keys, and look for good reading material for a deal.  I was not disappointed.

I picked up a unique item that i'm absolutely thrilled with: The Hand of Fate #8 (in an alien slab) with the designation "From the Burt Frohman Collection" that included the original writers manuscript for the story.  Burt Frohman was the writer for many HOF issues and kept a copy of each comic with his original manuscript (which was quite detailed)!  The manuscript was fascinating to read as it described in great detail the illustrations that the artist was to render for each panel, as well as the dialogue and background narrative text.  This collection is truly one-of-a-kind and i'm happy to own a piece.  I also picked up a couple books from my GA want list, as well as some great affordable readers.  Big shout out to Steve  @Golden Memories , Rob @Moving Pictures Comics (not on the boards?) , and Joe @Qua-Brot for the great conversation and camaraderie, and the awesome books at very reasonable prices.  Looking forward to hopefully seeing you guys at Baltimore ComicCom and TeriffiCon! 

20190519_200851.jpg

20190519_200456.jpg

20190519_200624.jpg

This is very cool ... would love to see the actual page(s) from the book that connect to the -script!

On 5/22/2019 at 5:41 PM, davet75 said:

This is a cross-post from the Comic Events - East Coast Comic Con thread.  I'm so happy with my new books that I wanted to share again!

I went to the Sunday session of ECCC and had a great time.  It was a mid sized show with a decent turnout of dealers.  Logistically, the Meadowlands expo center was right off the highway, parking was plentiful, and the morning line to enter was not long. Since it was Sunday I think the excitement and energy had settled down a bit and it was a pretty low-key atmosphere, not too crowded, and dealers were relaxed, engaging and friendly.  There was a relatively small cosplay crowd (or I just wasn't paying any attention to them) for the contest at the end of the day.  There was quite a lot of space dedicated to artists, special guests, and exhibit booths, but not much action going on there on Sunday.  Again, I think most of that action happened Friday and Saturday.  That was fine with me, as I went primarily to hunt for GA books on my list, pick up some reasonably-priced (hopefully) silver age keys, and look for good reading material for a deal.  I was not disappointed.

I picked up a unique item that i'm absolutely thrilled with: The Hand of Fate #8 (in an alien slab) with the designation "From the Burt Frohman Collection" that included the original writers manuscript for the story.  Burt Frohman was the writer for many HOF issues and kept a copy of each comic with his original manuscript (which was quite detailed)!  The manuscript was fascinating to read as it described in great detail the illustrations that the artist was to render for each panel, as well as the dialogue and background narrative text.  This collection is truly one-of-a-kind and i'm happy to own a piece.  I also picked up a couple books from my GA want list, as well as some great affordable readers.  Big shout out to Steve  @Golden Memories , Rob @Moving Pictures Comics (not on the boards?) , and Joe @Qua-Brot for the great conversation and camaraderie, and the awesome books at very reasonable prices.  Looking forward to hopefully seeing you guys at Baltimore ComicCom and TeriffiCon! 

20190519_200851.jpg

That Hand of Fate cover is such a swipe of Tales From the Crypt #20...not in artwork, but the idea and dialogue are almost exactly the same!

6 minutes ago, Sarg said:

That Hand of Fate cover is such a swipe of Tales From the Crypt #20...not in artwork, but the idea and dialogue are almost exactly the same!

Yep, you are correct.  Exact same concept.  Tales from the Crypt #20 was published in 1950 while Hand of Fate #8 was in 1952 so it's clear who copied whom.  Funny thing is that in HOF, the character who is fated to die is male while the cover depicts a pretty woman in a red dress.  No bait and switch there, right?

image.png

On 5/28/2019 at 2:21 PM, Point Five said:

Gotta love those Everett skeleton covers...

It's state law where I live. (shrug)